walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moray Coast path;- old railway and sand - Day Two

Moray Coast path;- old railway and sand - Day Two

Postby bargee » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:24 pm

Route description: Moray Coastal Trail

Date walked: 27/08/2017

Time taken: 1 day

Distance: 16.6 km

Ascent: 150m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day 2
Burghead to Lossiemouth

After an excellent sleep in the Anchor inn and a hearty breakfast, We left the pub and headed out into the grey and overcast morning,
A shorter day in prospect today split into 3 sections.
1, from Burghead to Hopeman along a tarmaced cycle path on the old railway
2. low cliffs paths through gorse and grassy tracks
3. Lossiemouth east beach.

But first we headed up to the old fort and grabbed a quick geocache and took our last view of the Findhorn bay that we had walked yesterday before heading east and down to walk past the huge maltings that dominate Burghead. before joining the tarmac cycle way along the old railway. Weather was light showers and I was hobbling slightly after the walk yesterday with stiff knees and hips which eased through the day.

ImageFindhorn bay that we walked on Day 1

Image [iview out to sea from Burghead point, a good spot for a night for the motorhome[/i]

ImageThe view eastwards towards Hopeman with Lossiemouth around the point

Imagethe huge maltings

Imageonto the old railway which had been closed in 1957

And into Hopeman after 3 miles
A lovely little harbour with restored steam crane and a great beach with beach huts on the eastern side. though i doubt they are as expensive than the one in Dorset sold for £290K in february 2018
From Hopeman the path skirts the low cliffs on grassy paths and heads inland to avoid the redundant quarries that were the reason for the railway being extended from Burghead in the 1890s.
the inland path are bordered by huge gorse bushes before returning to the cliffs by a large coastguard tower.
Imagethe view back to Burghead 3 miles away

Image the victorian quarries with discarded waste stone dropped off the cliffs into the sea, the path heads inland to skirt these.
ImageCath not to pleased with me taking pics
Imagegorse fringed paths
ImageBack to the cliffs and Burghead just in sight
Imagethe watchtower

5 miles in, half way for the day, the weather had cleared to a gorgeous day, the path continues on the cliff edge which had been recently inproved as a stoned path, some blackberries were coming out so a few tasty ones were eaten. before the path drops onto the beach, I took the opportunity to take of the boots and walk on the hard sand and paddle my way to Lossiemouth.
we stopped beyond the lighthouse for an hour or so to sit and enjoy the beach and watch some seals out to sea, sat on the buried tank traps that would feature the beaches either side of Lossiemouth, before skirting the last section as the tide had gone in , putting boots back on and having a brew at the beach cafe before walking round the harbour to our accommodation for the night at the Clifftown bar.
A pizza tea sat on the wall overlooking the river watching the gulls harass for scraps and then an icecream from one of the two excellent Geletinos rounded off a perfect days walking.

ImageThe tide had come in meaning the last section of beach got a bit narrow

Image Lossiemouth harbour
ImageThe view from our room looking at tomorrow's walk
Last edited by bargee on Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

Re: Moray Coast path;- old railway and sand - Day Two

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi bargee

Looking forward to reading this as this is no 1 on my list of walks to do (next year).

Might be me but there seems to be a problem with your photos at the end of the day 1 report and all of this one.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby bargee » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi bargee

Looking forward to reading this as this is no 1 on my list of walks to do (next year).

Might be me but there seems to be a problem with your photos at the end of the day 1 report and all of this one.

thanks Gordie, ive had this problem before copying links from google photos, they are viewing ok for me but it must be a permission thing Ill have a look and try again and repost them

iain
bargee
Mountaineer

Postby bargee » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:41 pm

edited the photos so hopefully they are visible, can someone confirm please
bargee
Mountaineer

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:02 am

Confirmed :D
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby prog99 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:48 pm

I was climbing at Cummingston the day before you passed, lovely area of the coast. Quite a few folk doing the coastal path that day were photographing us.
There are fossilised reptile footprints on this section but I'm not sure the path visits them , worth a visit. https://depositsmag.com/2016/10/11/the-geology-of-the-moray-coast/
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes