walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Braeriach Summit Camp - any water?

Braeriach Summit Camp - any water?

Postby mike baxter » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:58 pm

hi. im a long time WH user but this is my first time using the forum. Im planning a wild camp this Friday evening (6.7.18) on the summit of Breariach and i'm not sure how much water i should carry up. Ive noted a few watercourses/lochans on the map. Does anyone know what the water levels are like? It'll be my first trip there so Im unsure what the levels are in a normal summer, never mind this one we're enjoying. Any info would be a great help. Thanks, Mike
mike baxter
Mountain Walker

Munros:105   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Braeriach Summit Camp - any water?

Postby Driftwood » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:02 pm

In any normal weather, I'd say that you should be able to find fresh, flowing water from / above where the path around the plateau crosses the burn from the Wells of Dee, somewhere around NN943992. I happily topped up there during a walk last June, when it running strongly.

IMG_20170620_115913.jpg
Braeriach from the Wells of Dee burn

I've no more recent information, sorry.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby pony23 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:55 am

I set off to do exactly that on Sun night at 6.30 pm, but I had to continue well past Braeriach summit as it was too stony for a tent. Both streams on the plateau have water flowing, though the one nearer the top has much less water. Next day returning to White Well the clegs were terrible.
pony23
Hill Bagger

Postby rgf101 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:17 am

Yeah, most sensible thing is probably to carry on to Wells of Dee. Gorgeous spot, plenty of flat ground.
rgf101

Postby mike baxter » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks for the advice. We ended up camping just below Braeriach as the cloud came in. Found water in the morning over by the wells. Thanks again for help. Did get bitten by a cleg tho and it drew blood!!
mike baxter
Mountain Walker

Munros:105   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:6   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion