walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scorchio Compleation on An Socach with Lynne Murray

Scorchio Compleation on An Socach with Lynne Murray

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:19 am

Route description: An Socach from Glen Clunie

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar)

Date walked: 07/07/2018

Time taken: 5.9 hours

Distance: 15.75 km

Ascent: 655m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well, here I am for my first report in a loooooong time, but, after a glorious day and a fab compleation for Lynne Murray, i thought I'd hit the keyboard again for a short round up of our day/ weekend. No scenic vistas and views,,just a bunch of good guys enjoying a great day to celebrate a fab wummins achievement. :clap:

Lynne had reached a bit of a stalemate with her hills and due to bad winter weather, a dodgy skiing accident etc, had not made any headway into her last 18 Munros, a figure that had remained unchanged since late 2017 :shock: :shock: :shock:

In early May, with the fantastic weather and some decent planning, finally, things started to move, and move they did, at one heck of a pace :lol:

A couple of aborted attempts at Beinn Alligin, 3rd time lucky, A long hot but fun weekend in Glen Affric doing 5 Munros j to bag 3. 2 trips to Knoydart in quick succession,,just to confirm there was a view there afterall. A daunder round Bhrotain and M Mor in blistering heat, supping up 5 ltrs of water on the way and various other trips that Lynne will need to fill you in on she fast approached her final Munro, An Socach in Glen Ey.

With pretty much 1 weeks notice, a call went out for some company on the day.

Heather and I descended on Lynnes home on Friday night, with a very late arrival of our Breakfast Butler, Steve Smith shortly after midnight,,,his butling skills really need some work :shock: :shock: :shock:. We were joined in the morning by Clare, Isabel and Mary. A two car convoy headed North for a 10am start,,,,which turned into a 10:30am start, mainly because the butler didn't have breakfast so needed to stop for Ice cream in Blairgowrie (and to buy his lunch hehe).

Joining us at the start point were Martin B, George D and Lynnes friend Juli from Fochabers making up a group of 10 mustering at the starting gate. :lol:

1 starting gate.jpg
At the starting gate and ready for the off,

On what promised to be a hot day, we were all sun lotion and midgy spray as we headed through the gate and up the track.

We approached the wee house at Baddoch with the red window frames with a paddock FULL of sheep heading for their summer haircut, some strong chaps shearing and the much cooler and lighter flossies bounding out the other side.

2 Heading towards cottage.jpg
Baddoch cottage and the woolies

3 shearing.jpg
Hard at work

We somehow managed to miss the fact the the first gate was sporting a chain lock,,,just for show, and took ourselves over the stile instead, carrying on up past the old sheep pens/enclosures on the right of the track under Sgor Mor, a minor summit I had come over some years ago with John.

The group spread out and continued our saunter, spotting a large herd of deer on the western slopes of Carn Aosda in the Cairnwell Trio.

4 deer herd.jpg
Deer, deer, deer

My first trip here was in November 2013 in very snowy and icy conditions, poles apart from todays scorcher.

Crossing the Allt Coire Fhearneasg the path shoots off directly to the right and up towards the cairn at Socach Mor (Big Nose) This cairn seems to have been somewhat depleted since my first visit,,my memory and all other descriptions talk of a tall cairn, my 2013 report likened it to a memorial of some kind,,,now it just looks like a normal cairn.

5 Socach Mor.jpg
Socach Mor cairn

A short stop here to regroup then carried on the steeper and slightly rockier ascent before it levelled out on a grass corridor between the rocky bands. This was where I felt the heat more than any other time today,,steeper climb in approaching 30 degrees,, not my ideal situation lol :shock: I spotted a mountain hare here,,back in it summer coat. Hook right and reached the eastern summit cairn at 938 mtrs. Another chance to regroup, hill-spot around the area and catch our breath.

The true summit is across a broad plateau with nothing more than an amble to get there. Fabulous views and photo ops,,so we just sauntered round.

As we approached at 13:30, Lynne hung back slightly to let the rest of the group summit first, and with a wee salute bridge of poles and an accompany cheer, Lynne made her passage to the summit cairn.

6 The last few steps.jpg
Heading for the summit

7 The last few steps to the summit.jpg
Just a few more steps Lynne

Smashing, :clap: :clap: :clap: A wee snifter of whisky each, be rude not to lol

8 Summiteers and compleatist.jpg
Happy crew at the top

[
Sitting around, again, we just soaked up the sun, had a chat, lunch, photos etc, what better way is there to spend a hot Saturday lunchtime?

9 Singalongadibs.jpg
George giving us a song

Leaving the top shortly after 2, we retraced our steps down to the burn, topped out the water, (i emptied my water pack here as the water was actually hot, replaced with the chilled stuff, straight from the hills)

11 cooling off at the burn.jpg
Finally cooling off at the bottom

A wee cool down at the burn then headed back down the track, arriving back at the car in just under 6 hrs.

We headed down to the ski centre for a)the loo and b) a cup of tea,,at the shee,,so pee and tea , @ the shee. Bit of a downer here as we arrived a) to find out England were 2-0 up in extra time and b) the shop closed in 4 minutes and the staff were NOT afraid to point this out as we ordered tea (and cake, Steve Smith :lol: ) The telly was then unceremoniously switched off and we were then sitting outside drinking the last of our tea. The staff had literally packed up and all left the car park as we finished. lol Scottish hospitality at its best. 5pm on a glorious summer day, SHUT!

Anyway,,this could not take away from the fab day we had, and I really hope Lynne enjoyed it as much as I did. Its also worth knowing, and I hope Lynne doesn't mind me saying, but after a car crash 20 years ago, Lynne was told that in all probability, she would not walk again :( ........eat THAT, Doc! :D

HUGE congratulations on your compleation Lynne and I'm sure its a BIG thanks for letting me, Heather, Juli, Clare, Isabel, Mary, Steve, George and Martin share it with you.

10 Compleatist Lynne.jpg
Compleatist Lynne
Last edited by GillC on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Scorcho Compleation on An Socach with Lynne Murray

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:51 pm

Well done all :thumbup: and congratulations to Lynne especially given the post car crash diagnosis ! :clap: :clap: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby 2manyYorkies » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Great stuff Lynne, was a privilege to have done a couple of minor ones ( :lol: :lol: ) with you, on your journey!
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:14 pm

Nice one Gill and of course well done Lynne :clap: :clap:
I had started a WR but will just keep it all to myself :lol:

See you at the end of the week for the next huge gathering - Skye here we come.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:20 pm

Nice one Lynne, glad you had a great weather day, many congratulations on your achievement :clap: :clap: :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby lesmagsampaul » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:33 pm

:D :clap: brilliant write up: both of you are inspirational, makes me want to be at a compleation! As for glenshee cafe, we had similar experience but went on to Bridge of Cally hotel and were made very welcome there! Gill you should write more!
lesmagsampaul
Mountaineer

Munros:79   Corbetts:4
Fionas:7   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Borderhugh » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Well done Gill on the report and MASSIVE well done to Lynne for sheer persistence on compleating the munros. Given what you have been thru this is an awesome achievement. Will look fwd to sharing those bubbles with you on Skye. :clap:
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:100   Islands:23

Re: Scorchio Compleation on An Socach with Lynne Murray

Postby dibs » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Great report Gill and glad I never missed this one, a great walk in great weather for a great committed girl, Lynne Murray :clap:
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:37 pm

Nice one Gill and of course well done Lynne :clap: :clap:
I had started a WR but will just keep it all to myself :lol:

See you at the end of the week for the next huge gathering - Skye here we come.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Quincy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:53 pm

Nice reporting. Again well done Lynne and thanks for sharing your day. First completion I've been to, what a great day including the evening BBQ and chocolate bananas and of course the leftovers BBQ. Long may your celebrations continue. Have a great one on Skye.
Quincy
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:46
Fionas:15   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:24   

Postby PeteR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:55 am

Congratulations Lynne........another one crosses the finishing line before me :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:11 pm

lesmagsampaul wrote::D :clap: brilliant write up: both of you are inspirational, makes me want to be at a compleation! As for glenshee cafe, we had similar experience but went on to Bridge of Cally hotel and were made very welcome there! Gill you should write more!

You are indeed gracious. Many thanks,, I used to write up all my hills,,,then they all merged too quickly and i gave up lol

Lynne will be pleased, being called inspirational twice in once week lol
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland