walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

The White Mounth Munros for a relative newbie

The White Mounth Munros for a relative newbie

Postby MountainManMark » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:35 am

So I just started around 4 or 5 weeks ago and so far have bagged 4 munros - Mayar, Driesh, Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers.

I will be adding to that this weekend and looking at the weather the Cairngorms look like the best option. My original plan was to do Sgor Gaoith and even though the weather still looks decent enough it looks even better further east so this brings me to Lochnagar and the White Mounth Munros (I know there is also Mount Keen but I want to save that for winter due to it being easier).

My question is do you think that going for the 5 White Mounth Munros in a day is advisable considering im still quite new?

It doesnt look that hard and I think I could do it however I would love to get the opinions of the more experienced heads on here!

Thanks
MountainManMark
Mountain Walker

Re: The White Mounth Munros for a relative newbie

Postby Landsoul » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:31 am

Really depends on how fit you consider yourself to be. As far as a round of 5 munro's go, its fairly straight forward with mostly easy terrain and for 5 munro's pretty minimal total ascent thus allowing for fairly fast progress - if your fit enough for a 30km day.

I'd say nav on the plateau in the mist would be the crux if your so new to this kind of thing. If its a clear forecast, or your confident in the mist then go for it, its a fantastic group. Once you get east of Lochnagar (if you go anti-clockwise) your fairly committed.
Landsoul

Munros:282   

Postby MountainManMark » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks for the reply.

Fitness isn't a concern for me however the navigation aspect may be as I have never really been too tested in this regard so far, also the weather forecast is a bit all over the place at the moment.

I will probably have to make the call late Friday, perhaps I could reconsider doing Mount Keen or just do Lochnagar as a single Munro and return when I'm more experienced to do the full circuit.
MountainManMark
Mountain Walker

Postby Phil the Hill » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Another factor to consider is how committed you are to bagging apparently boring summits.

I first went up Lochnagar solo early in my Munro-bagging career, did White Mounth (which was a complete anticlimax), and on looking over at the remaining uninteresting-looking and distant tops, which I'd been thinking of bagging too, decided not to bother. But I'd driven up from Birmingham that day, time was getting on and I was meeting my friends later.

Several years and a 100 or so Munros later I revisited Lochnagar to do the whole round (minus White Mounth) with a friend and we had a great day, seeing boxing hares and enjoying the wide open spaces. They're worth the effort if you get a good day.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby gld73 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:23 pm

I was hoping to do the White Mounth munros today, but the cloud was right down and it was miserable most of the day. My back-up plan was the Glas Maol round .... and my back-up back-up plan was the Cairnwell 3. Even if navigation was okay, I'd still rather see the views when I'm walking. I ended up popping up a corbett (Morrone) late morning so I could see if anything looked like clearing - they all looked equally bad, so I ended up just doing the Cairnwell 3, got soaked and didn't get any views.

So if you do end up in the area and the weather doesn't play ball for anything decent, there's always those ones as a fall back for a multi-munro walk .... i.e. If you're going to be walking in poor visibility, it might as well be somewhere covered in ski lifts, buildings and aerials :lol: (well, 2 of them are, the other is away from the road and ski area, but still has a well trodden path to help find the way)
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby MountainManMark » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:21 am

Sorry to hear that!

I've been keeping an eye on the met office forecast for a number of munros for tomorrow and will make the call later today.
MountainManMark
Mountain Walker

Postby EvilScotsman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:18 pm

I was quite similar to you in that I had only just started climbing munros last Spring and this was one of the rounds I fancied doing 1st.
I had done Ben Chonzie, Schiehallion, Mayar & Driesh and Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin and decided to up the game a wee bit so I done a round of 9 at Glenshee either side of the Cairn well and found that to be a lot easier than I expected so the following week I done this round of 5.
They are not overly difficult and luckily I got the clearest weather (albeit very windy) approaching Lochnagar at the start and I'm glad I did because after that the mist came down and there wasn't a lot to see for a while so it was my 1st slight test of navigation but if I remember correctly the paths were fairly obvious to follow.
It all depends on the weather and if you want to walk for walking sake (or bagging sake) or see the views, I know what I prefer haha. There were great views down Loch Muick at the end of the round when it started to clear up a bit and I still found it a really enjoyable walk. I think it took around 6.5 hours but I probably would have took a bit more time had there been more to see. If you're fairly fit it will be a breeze... All the best whatever you decide to do this weekend :wink:
EvilScotsman
Mountaineer

Munros:195   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:13   

Postby MountainManMark » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Thanks.

Yeh i'm all about the views.

I ended up doing Bynack More today, great day, good weather and views. Plus the green lochan and the river nethy crossing was great, made me want to do the Larig an Laoigh.
MountainManMark
Mountain Walker

Postby 2manyYorkies » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:50 pm

To put in context, I did the Fisherfield 5 when I was still in single figures bagging-wise, and survived to tell the tale and enjoy. And I was 54 at the time so no spring chicken.
Did the White Mounth circuit in May this year and it’s a great walk for a good day. Sadly the best bit is probably the first bit, then the rest is just an upland trek, livened up at the end by a pleasant walk out along the loch - you’ll be fine. Munro no.2 is a scarcely a pimple, goodness knows how it got it’s status when others haven’t!
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby tdm900 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:41 pm

I have been up Mount Ken loads of times . I have been blown over in the wind and in January this year it was like an ice rink , pictures to prove it .The last picture was taken at the top , there is stones under there
Attachments
WP_20180120_015 (2).jpg
WP_20180120_013 (2).jpg
WP_20180120_009 (4).jpg
tdm900
Mountaineer

Munros:269   Corbetts:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion