walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby crfishwick » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi,
Has anyone any experience of instead of going down the side of the falls of Glomach to cut across East to the stalkers path that goes to Carnach via Coire Easach?

I don't fancy dropping down through Glomach with a heavy sack! Would it be easier terrian on my proposed route?

TIA
crfishwick

Re: Cape wrath Info needed. Falls of Glomach alternative?

Postby jmarkb » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:13 pm

On the map, the Coire Easach route looks just as steep.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Went down that way at dusk in winter (was just below snowline) and remember it being pretty steep and unpleasant, though we had been out for 10 hours by then (biked to Carnach then S n C, in soft snow firming up on the ridge to the best winter conditions I've ever had).
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Guinessman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Yes I've been that way on my CWT coming up the glen from Altbeithe. I had planned it this way as I had been via the Falls of Glomach back in 2011 coming up over from Glen Elchaig and with a big pack didn't like the exposure one bit and haven't been back since. The route down through the Coire Easach is steep but I didn't feel the exposure I had previously felt.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby crfishwick » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:39 pm

Guinessman wrote:Yes I've been that way on my CWT coming up the glen from Altbeithe. I had planned it this way as I had been via the Falls of Glomach back in 2011 coming up over from Glen Elchaig and with a big pack didn't like the exposure one bit and haven't been back since. The route down through the Coire Easach is steep but I didn't feel the exposure I had previously felt.

Thanks for the info.

I have had another look as I am actually setting off from Sheil Bridge as that's where I got washed out 2 years ago. :( Although looking at the map again any easier way to miss Glomach is to take another stalkers path to Glen Elchaig. Going due North from the forestery plantation in Strath Croe. Plus, it seem shorter than the Glomach route. Although crossing the river Elchaig could be a problem. :crazy:
crfishwick

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 am

The CWT is a big route and also there are many variants to it.
One thing though, the falls of glomach are the premier falls in the whole of Britain and Ireland and it would be a shame to miss them.
Having said that the path down into Glen Elchaig is exposed in parts and requires great care. :shock:
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby crfishwick » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am

Thanks.
Although I have been to the falls before. Just getting worried going solo at my age! I'll see what I feel like when i get there. I have the other 2 alternatives I think. Got worried when I saw a YouTube video and the maker got the screaming jeebies and said it was impossible Although I think he missed the path and was at the view point.
crfishwick

Postby willsdad » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:28 pm

crfishwick wrote:Got worried when I saw a YouTube video and the maker got the screaming jeebies and said it was impossible Although I think he missed the path and was at the view point.

I saw that video recently. He really tells it as it is! :clap:
More people should watch his account before attempting the CWT. It may make them think again...
I'm pretty sure he also takes the wrong path dropping down to Sourlies. It sounds like he ends up clambering through the gorge.

I agree with you crfishwick. I followed the path down from the falls but was wishing I hadn't. An alternative route would definitely be on the cards for me in the future. Let me know if you find a better route.
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby Old Stag » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Both times I did the CWT I avoided Glomach as I try to avoid falling to my death whenever possible.
I just had a half day from Shiel Bridge to Dornie, trying to stay off the main road as much as possible and staying at the small campsite just over the bridge from Dornie.
It's a bit of a long day the next day to Strathcarron and it's a shame to miss out on the falls and Maol Buidhe bothy but t's a lot safer.
Old Stag

Postby Guinessman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Making plans for a big walk next April , incorporating the CWT. If I go Altbeithe again I am looking at going East from there and go over the Bealach coire Ghaidheil to Loch Mullardoch then up through Coire na Breabaig down to Loch Mhoicean and around to Maol Bhuidhe bothy
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:27 am

willsdad wrote:
crfishwick wrote:Got worried when I saw a YouTube video and the maker got the screaming jeebies and said it was impossible Although I think he missed the path and was at the view point.

I saw that video recently. He really tells it as it is! :clap:
More people should watch his account before attempting the CWT. It may make them think again...
I'm pretty sure he also takes the wrong path dropping down to Sourlies. It sounds like he ends up clambering through the gorge.

I agree with you crfishwick. I followed the path down from the falls but was wishing I hadn't. An alternative route would definitely be on the cards for me in the future. Let me know if you find a better route.

Any link to that video? I like scaring myself :lol:
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby willsdad » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:55 am

Try this....if not, its YouTube, 'The Bushcraft Bothier - Cape Wrath Trail'.
He has a hard time, but I think he sums it up pretty well. CWT is for people with experience and navigational knowledge. Even then, you may still get beaten by the weather...
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Many thanks! I'll check it out :D
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby crfishwick » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Old Stag wrote:Both times I did the CWT I avoided Glomach as I try to avoid falling to my death whenever possible.
I just had a half day from Shiel Bridge to Dornie, trying to stay off the main road as much as possible and staying at the small campsite just over the bridge from Dornie.
It's a bit of a long day the next day to Strathcarron and it's a shame to miss out on the falls and Maol Buidhe bothy but t's a lot safer.

I am thinking of doing the way you went. Instead of starting at Sheil Bridge. Get off the bus at Dornie and chomp down the road to Killilan. Although carry on to Iron Bridge then Maol Bhuidhe. About 18 miles so at my pace a 2 dayer. :roll:
crfishwick

Postby Ben Nachie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:19 am

Ben Nachie wrote:Many thanks! I'll check it out :D

A-ha, a bushcrafter tries hillwalking. Always raises a smile :wink:

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed it.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion