walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Proper Mixed bag - Skye Meet

A Proper Mixed bag - Skye Meet

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Route description: The Saddle, Forcan Ridge and Sgùrr na Sgìne

Munros included on this walk: Bruach na Frìthe, Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr na Sgìne, The Saddle

Date walked: 12/07/2018

Time taken: 22 hours

Distance: 34 km

Ascent: 3300m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After much planning (by George) and umpteen messages back and forth using FB, text, phone and no doubt other modern technology the Skye Meet finally arrived. Three of us (George, Parminder & me) had arranged to head to Skye on the Thursday via the Forcan Ridge, the forecast was good, clearing up after 10am so everything was looking pretty good, we left Fife at 7am in my car after carefully loading the umpteen bags - I take less stuff when I go away for a week, but then again I don't need alcohol, basic foodstuffs etc etc.
The original plan was the Forcan Ridge on the way, Friday - Alasdair, Eag & Dubh, Saturday - Am Bastier for Nigel's compleation and the In Pin before heading home on Sunday and you would think after the fantastic weather we have had recently this wouldn't be a problem - welcome to Skye.

This will probably be the longest WR in history, as rather than post 3 separate reports all 3 days will be on here.

Day 1 - Thursday 12th July 2018
Location - Forcan Ridge
Participants - Me, George and Parminder
Route - standard WH route so won't bother with a map etc, took about 8 hours

We arrived at the start point for the Forcan Ridge and we were on our way just before 11am, there was cloud lingering menacingly on the higher slopes but we were convinced that would clear by the time we reached those dizzy heights. As we started to climb on the nice gradual path we soon started overheating and things were looking good, we could see another 2 walkers ahead in the distance and 3 behind us.

George checking Parminder to make sure he is ready

Parminder was left in charge of closing the gate with a reef knot

George taking on fluids and we had barely started

Looking east from the lower slopes down Glen Shiel

Looking west

A 10 minute delay while George rummages through Parminders rucksack for his towel

Nearly found it

George admiring Parminders bath towel

Looking east from higher up, the cloud is still there and we would be in it soon!!!!

We were overtaken by the 3 who started behind us, but we would soon be the leading group

Cloud swirling around

Last look east down Glen Shiel before we entered the cloud - that was still there, Met Office speak with forked tongue

We opted to go along the ridge and I have to say there were quite a few "interesting" moments, in the dry they wouldn't be a problem but as we all know wet slabby rocks require great care and attention. The other 2 walkers opted to take the lower bypass path which in the conditions was certainly the safe option, but we were Skye bound so we needed a bit of practice.

For anyone who is squeamish and doesn't like action photo's, just click the 'great' report at the bottom and go onto the next report. Some of the photo's make the scrambling look worse than it was, others do the opposite - you decide!

Now the fun begins, Parminders first real scramble

Easy

Ready for more, you will see the other 3 in the background

Sticks away now and hands in use, note jackets are now on and would stay on for the next 5 hours

Here he comes, keen to get his hands dirty

The way ahead

George leading the way

Head down and hands on

Up over and down

Up again

No clean hands for us today

Here he comes, no rush we had to stick together

Apologies Parminder, as you are ALWAYS at the back you are in the majority of the photo's

Parminder enjoying this now

That really is a smile

Sorry George it is your turn to demonstrate how to traverse a slippy slab.

Relief written all over his face

Advice time

George thinking "you are having a laugh"

Something different, just to prove we do look around

Such a poser, especially with pointy things in the background

You would think with all the bending down we would have sore backs?

George running away to avoid being photo'd

Behind me again, not sure how this happens?

On top of another lump, only problem we have to go down

One of the easier descents, chimney's are great - we will take bookings for Christmas.....

George about to appear

A flattish path, not for long though

George admiring the drop

Who could this be appearing out of the clag?

Not finished yet

Admiring the cracking view

That is about as good as the view gets, a tiny little break in the cloud

More coming down stuff

Elegant - you decide?

Hang on tight

5 points of contact

We opted to go down and round that for obvious reasons

We all know what this is called?

Last little bit and then a slight climb to the trig on the summit of The Saddle

Admiring the views again

Laughing at Parminders latest story

Pebble dashed trig

Descending off The Saddle we caught up the 2 walkers who used the bypass, they were planning to head back to the car and miss out the 2nd summit. they were accompanied by a young female from Ozz who we presume descended too.

Below the cloud now, so a view looking west

George always leads on the descent as he is a demon descender

The lochan at the bottom before the next ascent begins, won't bore you with the name

Nearly stood on this little chap, I think you can tell how damp it had been?

George waiting patiently

We opted to dump the rucksacks at the crossroads where the path heads to the summit and the final descent

The route across to Sgurr na Sgine involves much going down and then up and as we couldn't see that far ahead there was much disappointment - that is until we eventually reached the summit. I didn't take many photo's on this part of the walk as it was pretty tedious.

Here it is

Parminder doing a of faffing while George was marching around the summit in a very purposeful manner?

On the final descent now down the shoulder, pretty good path all the way down, guess who was at the back?

Kind of demonstrates how much water had fallen whilst we were up in the clouds

Hooray we can see the road, looking east down the Glen

Looking west

Still along way down

Seen better days

Our final obstacle, crossing that yesterday would have been a doddle before the hours and hours of rain

That was the Forcan Ridge totally different from my last experience 3 years ago, when there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

Day 2, would you believe Friday the 13th
Location - Inaccessible Pinnacle
Participants - Jonah & his assistant Cat, Me, George, Martin G, Parminder, John, Ali, Alistair, Badge & Kev
Route - Jonah's took about 8 hours
Our original plan was changed as our guide Jonah suggested as Friday looked like being the best day we tackle the In Pin. As there were 9 of us he had enrolled Cat who was training to be a guide.
We met at the usual starting point in Glen Brittle and were duly kitted out with all the necessary gear and set off just 9am. The weather was fantastic and as we ascended and gained height the views were amazing looking out to the islands of Canna, Rum, Eigg, and eventually Soay.

ImageDSC03189 by Martin F Beswick, on Flickr
Heading up there, eventually

Gentle climb initially

What a view

Gaining height now

Starting to spread out, Cat assisting at the rear

Getting higher

Reached the rocky bits now

Obvious photo

Soay

Entering the cloud soon

Cloud does add drama

Parminder leading - is this a first?

Bit more hands on as we gain account

Still leading

Managed to find a brief gap in the cloud

Nice little ledge, wouldn't be fun when wet

Apprehensive?

Alistair leading now

Here it is again

I have umpteen photo's of members of the group being lowered and unfortunately the pictures of George are the best, so he will be the star of the show, apart from a few selected others. Jonah took us up in groups of 3, I was first in the first group followed by Martin and then George.

George beginning the lowering process

Down safely, hopefully that shows what the descent off the Pin involves

This is what it is like on the summit, not much room

A slightly different angle, Alistair nearing the bottom

Parminder about to descend

Kev opting to take a seat on the ledge

All over now, great care needed on the descent

Kev leading now

Is that a worried look?

Something different

Dragon fly

That concludes the In Pin adventure, we had arranged to meet up next morning at the Slig Rescue Post at 9am.

Day 3 - Saturday 14th July 2018
Location - Bruach na Frithe
Participants - as per the In Pin
Route - as per WH, took about 6 hours

The original plan to tackle Am Bastier, as things transpired that plan was binned as the weather turned rather grotty when we gained height. I apologise for the lack of photo's but when you see the conditions later I am sure you will understand.
We set off shortly before 9am, however Cat wasn't feeling very well and once the weather took a turn for the worse Jonah told her to head back down the hill.

Early shot of Am Bastier and it does look along way away

Over the bridge, note the weather looks not too bad

Am Bastier from a bit closer, at this point we were still heading that way

Not much water tumbling down

Looking back towards the Slig, we were now well spread out on our route march

Waiting to regroup, weather on the turn

Looking at the way ahead

Waterproofs on and we were now heading for Bruach na Frithe

This is what we took a soaking for, summit trig on BnF

After reaching the summit, we sheltered out of the wind and rain, well the wind

Parminder loves being wet - it's official

Kev looking happy at reaching the summit of BnF for a 2nd time

Descending now

For fairly obvious reasons we didn't stay and admire the views or appreciate the weather. As with all descents great care was still taken, I along with a couple of others ended up on my backside on the loose scree. We knew the tricky part of the descent was still ahead, descending on wet slabby basalt required concentration and care.

Far better than the Fairy Pools

Look how clear the water is

Nearly back now, once again we were scattered all over the descent route

We all regrouped in the Slig Inn for a well earned drink, only trouble was I was one of the drivers and would rather have headed back to the hostel to get out of the wet gear.
Turned out to be a great weekend even though the weather tried it's best to ruin it. Unfortunately the forecast for the Sunday was more of the same, so the majority of us wimped out and headed home. I couldn't really walk as I had no dry gear with me and the drying room at the Hostel wasn't really a drying room.
A huge thanks to Maja for organising the meet and of course to Kev for the quiz, especially as the best team won. Of course well done Hugh for volunteering to organise the next Meet.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: A Proper Mixed bag - Skye Meet

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:46 am

Just finished reading - started last night then got interrupted. Certainly quite a mixed bag but looked enjoyable despite the weather. We're just never happy....too hot, too wet, too windy, too dry, too humid; where would we be without the weather ? :wink: Have yet to go over the Forcan Ridge, maybe some day. Also, one of these days, maybe I'll actually manage to get to one of these legendary meets :crazy: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby sunshine65 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:07 am

Brilliant story and pictures as usual Martin
sunshine65
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:25
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby dibs » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:19 am

Well done Martin, great pics and a good summary of a great weekend, "smile in the face of adversity", where did I hear that one :roll: :wink:

A big thanks to Jonah and Cat for more memories on the Misty Isle :clap: Hope you both have a great rest of the year.

George
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

Postby parminder » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:18 pm

Well done. FF another superb account of the weekend.. :clap: Thanks to dibs for organizing the weekend and introducing his good friends. :clap: a very memorable Weekend..
parminder
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   Corbetts:23
Fionas:25   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:108   Hewitts:2

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland