walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dark Lochnagar

Dark Lochnagar

Postby U059361 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 am

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 18/07/2018

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 930m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I didn't realise how popular this place really was till I got to the car park, it was almost full. The usual careless parking wasting spaces was much in evidence. I moved my car over to allow someone else to get in beside me at the end of the row, but with parking bays marked out, people should do their best to respect them. Could you park in the bus park? I don't see why not, there was only one bus there when I parked. Lots of people walked to Loch Muick, but equally the slopes of Lochnagar were full of picnicking families all the way to the top. It is a straightforward walk to the top with a good path all the way, even through the boulder field up to the top of the corrie if you carefully follow it, but if you like a scramble up the boulder field, there is plenty of opportunity and I saw several people in front of me doing so, but had they just lost the path?
I didn't stop till I got to the bealach beside Meikle Pap and the first view into the corrie of Lochnagar. A bit fresher here, so after photos and a drink I put on my wind jacket. The walk along the corrie top is great, with the view changing along the way. Plenty of people here now. The path takes you behind the hill to get to the top so a relief to get past the cairn and back to the corrie edge for a look down from the west buttress. Magnificent. Eventually dragged myself away and went over to the top. Bit of an anti-climax so didn't hang around as there was little space to sit it was so busy. Went back to the corrie edge for a quick lunch. I couldn't get enough of that view down. Reluctantly set off back down to Loch Muick. I expected this path to be rough but it was good almost all the way to the footbridge over the Glas Allt where it hasn't been improved till the descent at the waterfall and then after that it is rough back to the track along the loch side. Loch Muick is LONG, it felt like I was never getting back and a track isn't great walking, so head down and big steps (for me at least with my wee legs) to get it done. Blethered to a couple of American tourists along the way. Glad to get back to the car park. 5 hours in total, pretty quick, but the path is so good and the climb is not severe except at the boulders, so it is easy to do. I might come back and do a few more hills here.

ImageLochnagar corrie before the climb up by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLochnagar corrie from before the red spout by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLochnagar from west buttress by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLochnagar top to Loch nan Eun by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageWalk over to Cac Carn Mor cairn, Lochnagar by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBluebells at Glas Allt bridge by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageFirst view of Loch Muick above falls by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageFalls of the Glas Allt, despite the long dry spell by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageDescent to Loch Muick by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageWestern end of Loch Muick by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland