walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Back to the hills! - Carn an Fhreiceadain

Back to the hills! - Carn an Fhreiceadain

Postby KatTai » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:11 pm

Route description: Càrn an Fhreiceadain from Kingussie

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn an Fhreiceadain

Date walked: 17/07/2018

Time taken: 4.15 hours

Distance: 18 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I don't cope well with the heat so in the very nice sunshiny weather recently I was suffering from heatstroke and going adventuring was a big no-no :lol: Fortunately it has now cooled down so back to the hills! I had picked out Carn an Fhreiceadain a while ago, and I figured it would be a good one to do to start us off again so off we went. The first part is on tarmac, not my favourite but eventually we were onto a stony track that led through the woods and up onto the open moorland. There seems to be some fairly new-looking signs up, one was still lying on it's side on the return waiting to be erected.

a.jpg

Leaving the woods there is a newer fenced in enclosure with a new gate to pass through, all simple enough though and we were out on the hill following the very obvious track. It remained obvious the entire walk. The only time the track was left was when Moss was sent down to the burn or another bit of water for a drink or to reach the cairns.

2.jpg

5.jpg

Distant rain blocked the views, there was a little shower where we were but nothing like the heavier showers we passed through on the way up for the most part though the walk remained dry. The tall cairn just away from the summit was fascinating.

b.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

The descent we had two sheep that stayed in front of us for a large chunk of the way down before they finally decided to get off the track. Tried cutting a corner to overtake them but they just ran quickly round to keep ahead of us :lol:

e.jpg

An enjoyable, uncomplicated walk. Wouldn't mind trying this one in more wintery conditions!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Back to the hills! - Carn an Fhreiceadain

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:25 am

Nice result - as you say, an uncomplicated walk but enjoyable nonetheless. Cycled the loop over this hill a few years ago when up at Coylumbridge on holiday - did have to get off and push once or twice :roll: though - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby AHillTooFar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:12 pm

It is a fine enough walk, I also liked the cairn there, nicely made.

However, I took the uncomplicated bit out of the equation by going off path down to and old bothy(?) down near càrn coire na h-inghinn then up the same hill. In the end I didn't fancy Creag Dbuh and went down its west side then along by the loch. Cursed myself for not just sticking to the path.

Oddly enough I also had some sheep which just kept running down the path in front of me, why animals don't move at right angles to an oncoming threat is beyond me. They act like they are in a bad horror movie. The rabbit in the image did not even care.
AHillTooFar
Mountaineer

Munros:29   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:1   

Postby KatTai » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:44 pm

rockhopper wrote:Nice result - as you say, an uncomplicated walk but enjoyable nonetheless. Cycled the loop over this hill a few years ago when up at Coylumbridge on holiday - did have to get off and push once or twice :roll: though - cheers :)

I did think it would be a good route with a bike, especially when walking on the tarmac section!

AHillTooFar wrote:It is a fine enough walk, I also liked the cairn there, nicely made.

However, I took the uncomplicated bit out of the equation by going off path down to and old bothy(?) down near càrn coire na h-inghinn then up the same hill. In the end I didn't fancy Creag Dbuh and went down its west side then along by the loch. Cursed myself for not just sticking to the path.

Oddly enough I also had some sheep which just kept running down the path in front of me, why animals don't move at right angles to an oncoming threat is beyond me. They act like they are in a bad horror movie. The rabbit in the image did not even care.
[img]<span%20class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://i.imgur.com/6r3oOku.jpg</span>[/img]

I thought the sheep were going to end up coming all the way back to the car with me :lol: They turned down just before the old bothy.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:31 pm

Can't quite believe that's the same hill I did in early March during the battering by the Beast from the East! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:31 am

It's a good hill, usually overlooked, but a great viewpoint to the Cairngorms. Having visited it both in winter and summer, I'd happily go up there again, maybe in autumn this time, to celebrate the colours of the fall :D

Sheep can be weird. We have been once followed by a whole flock of the bleating monsters, it was on one of the Amulree Grahams, I wondered if they were stalking us :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland