walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Chanonry Point - now charged

Chanonry Point - now charged

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi all,
For all of you who like watching dolphins on Chanonry Point, Black Isle. The car park by the lighthouse, which used to be free of charge, is changing to pay & display, £2 for up to 2 hours, £4 up to 4 hours. Quite pricey, I must admit. More info here:

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/New-pay-to-park-charges-at-Chanonry-Point-17072018.htm
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Chanonry Point - now charged

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:01 am

Aye BP totally ridiculous. The highlands now are getting invaded by parking charges. It's a scourge from the south. It costs £10 minimum to park at Snowdon or Lands End.
No one would mind paying a £1 here and there for parking but watch this space, Loch Muick has doubled its charge in recent years. It's basically a license to print money. The ski car park at cairngorm is now charging £2. There is nothing to stop them charging £10 like they do at snowdon. Luckily in scotland these charges are unenforceable unlike down south where the laws favour the landlords. But the way things are going I guess it's only a matter of time.

PS. I've seen some places in Wales where they charge you to go for a walk whether you have a car or not.
I say it has to be stamped oot early on. We def don't want that in the highlands. :(

Sorry rant over :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:48 am

Sunset tripper wrote: Luckily in scotland these charges are unenforceable unlike down south where the laws favour the landlords. But the way things are going I guess it's only a matter of time.

Not true, I'm afraid. I got stung at the David Marshall Lodge in the Trossachs; they lease out the franchise to the same parking fascists who do Glasgow, so it is enforceable. I agree this has to be stamped out or big corporations will be charging us to take a stroll, and policing the hills with hired thugs in uniform. Oh they did already; Loch Lomond, I forgot...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:40 am

Does anyone know if being a member of National Trust Scotland entitles you to park free in the NT England car parks, as it is cheaper (£45 for annual membership for a senior). We were shocked when it cost us £7-50 to park for a day in the car park en route for Watendlath (something or other bridge) and were told it can cost £20 near some of the popular hills but we noticed that flashing a NT card at the machine got you free parking. Now we have finished the (new)Donalds and done all the Marilyns we can manage, we thought we might have a bash at Wainwrights, but it is going to be VERY expensive. Never joined the NT, as don't fancy strolling round old houses much.....I know, it does have a Scottish mountain or two.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby NickyRannoch » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:44 am

Caberfeidh wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote: Luckily in scotland these charges are unenforceable unlike down south where the laws favour the landlords. But the way things are going I guess it's only a matter of time.

Not true, I'm afraid. I got stung at the David Marshall Lodge in the Trossachs; they lease out the franchise to the same parking fascists who do Glasgow, so it is enforceable. I agree this has to be stamped out or big corporations will be charging us to take a stroll, and policing the hills with hired thugs in uniform. Oh they did already; Loch Lomond, I forgot...

They are enforceable but only by court order and only against the driver.

For the odd ticket just ignoring all correspondence will likely see you OK.

The brain donors who thought this would be the case for charges worth thousands have ruined it for everyone.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby CyberianK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:03 pm

I am going my first time to Scotland driving all the way from Germany.
I thought I could just park somewhere remote where there are small unpaved roads going sideways from a main roads or so and then go hiking and leave car there for a day or 2 and then drive to next location.

How does it work with the parking charges are there peoples collecting it or do you have parking clocks/machines for parking tickets? Does that Impact when I can arrive or leave I want to often seek some parking at like 11 pm or drive away at 5 pm.
CyberianK
Scrambler

Postby Phil the Hill » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Sgurr wrote:Does anyone know if being a member of National Trust Scotland entitles you to park free in the NT England car parks, as it is cheaper (£45 for annual membership for a senior). We were shocked when it cost us £7-50 to park for a day in the car park en route for Watendlath (something or other bridge) and were told it can cost £20 near some of the popular hills but we noticed that flashing a NT card at the machine got you free parking. Now we have finished the (new)Donalds and done all the Marilyns we can manage, we thought we might have a bash at Wainwrights, but it is going to be VERY expensive. Never joined the NT, as don't fancy strolling round old houses much.....I know, it does have a Scottish mountain or two.

Being a member of the NT for England entitles me to park for free in the NT for Scotland car parks, so I would hope it's reciprocal.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Landsoul » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:44 pm

CyberianK wrote:I am going my first time to Scotland driving all the way from Germany.
I thought I could just park somewhere remote where there are small unpaved roads going sideways from a main roads or so and then go hiking and leave car there for a day or 2 and then drive to next location.

How does it work with the parking charges are there peoples collecting it or do you have parking clocks/machines for parking tickets? Does that Impact when I can arrive or leave I want to often seek some parking at like 11 pm or drive away at 5 pm.

You can park in these places no problem so long as you're considerate for access etc.

Don't worry about parking charges in these remote areas. It's just greed out to make some money so ignore it.
Landsoul

Munros:282   

Postby Moriarty » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Landsoul wrote:It's just greed out to make some money so ignore it.

Greed is an interesting word which often arises in these conversations.

While greed is often thought of as a grasping or acquisitive behavior it's also a feature of possessive behavior....the balance between grasping parking charges and tight-arsed motorists as it were.

Interesting to note that the parking charges in this case are levied via the local council. Quite often hill parking charges are councils, or local organisations which are channelling the funds towards erosion control, path networks etc.

I also note that Highland Council can't even afford to keep public loos open right now.

Personally when I see these conversations I see the greed of individuals lavishing time, money and resources on their own self-gratification who squawk loudly at relatively (in comparison to fuel/car/accommodation/gear costs) minor money being extracted from them for often relatively worthy causes.

....or greed as the previous poster observed.
Moriarty

Postby RocksRock » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:04 pm

@Sgurr,

My NTS membership works fine in England and in their car parks!
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby Sgurr » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 pm

RocksRock wrote:@Sgurr,

My NTS membership works fine in England and in their car parks!

Thanks...we are heading there again end August and September and have already used the £50 I got in coin from a Keswick bank. Cheaper for one of us to join NTS.

Don't suppose we will get the same non stop sunshine
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:27 pm

Moriarty wrote:I also note that Highland Council can't even afford to keep public loos open right now.

Latest info on the subject:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-44898116

It looks like in the future we will have to pee in the bushes or wear incontinence pants :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:54 pm

Sgurr wrote:Never joined the NT, as don't fancy strolling round old houses much.....I know, it does have a Scottish mountain or two.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe we're old before our time. Still have family membership but should change it to joint as boys are too old now. £8/mth and we've used it all over Scotland and various places in England. Think it also worked for Historic Scotland.....not just old houses :wink: :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby RocksRock » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:08 pm

@Sgurr well stranger thing shave happened than sun in September in the Lakes.......just look at the length of the hot spell in SE England and still it goes on....................fngers crossed for your trip.
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:32 pm

Moriarty wrote:
Greed is an interesting word which often arises in these conversations.

While greed is often thought of as a grasping or acquisitive behavior it's also a feature of possessive behavior....the balance between grasping parking charges and tight-arsed motorists as it were.

Interesting to note that the parking charges in this case are levied via the local council. Quite often hill parking charges are councils, or local organisations which are channelling the funds towards erosion control, path networks etc.

I also note that Highland Council can't even afford to keep public loos open right now.

Personally when I see these conversations I see the greed of individuals lavishing time, money and resources on their own self-gratification who squawk loudly at relatively (in comparison to fuel/car/accommodation/gear costs) minor money being extracted from them for often relatively worthy causes.

....or greed as the previous poster observed.

Amusing choice of words. I guess it's only folk you disagree with that sqawk loudly. :D

I personally don't mind paying councils for parking but in the same way I pay for flower gardens, fancy pavements or firework displays which don't really interest me. Walking or hiking is a pastime to be encouraged, in a country which in general has an unhealthy lifestyle, and in the highlands where the public transport system is poor a car is sometimes the only practical option.
I appreciate that some people from areas where outrageous parking charges are commonplace see it as tightfisted or maybe even greedy to moan about a few quid for parking in the highlands. A point often put forward is why should you get something for nothing, and I think that often comes from folk who would not do anything or give anything for nothing.
I find that sometimes it is just a mindset and people born and brought up in different areas have very different views.

On the original point I guess that highland council think that £4 for 4 hours is the most they can get away with at Chanonry point - for now.
Snowdon at Pen-y-pass when I was last there charged £5 for four hours which made it pretty tight to get up and down the hill. They charged £10 for a full day. Now it costs you £10 minimum (even for a short stay) and if you also wished to park there over night it would cost you an extra £10. As already pointed out this may seem a relatively small amount to some people when you factor in the cost of clothes, fuel, a car etc. etc. but for some it will be enough for them to wonder if they can really afford it and discourage them from going out at all or at the very least curtailing the amount of times they visit the great out doors.

I think that because we all pay for the fireworks and many other things through local taxes and income taxes we should also pay for car parks that encourage a healthy lifestyle in the same way whether we use them or not. :D
Sunset tripper

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion