walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The white mounth circuit.

The white mounth circuit.

Postby bacon1981 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:17 pm

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 21/07/2018

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 29 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An early start got me to the Glen Muick car park at 6am. Very overcast morning but it was due to clear mid morning.
The walk up to lochnager was quite straight forward, can't grudge the car park charge when you see the work someone has put into the paths at either end of the walk. The cloud wasn't showing any sign of clearing before I reached the summit only a couple of brief glimpses, 2.5 hrs to the top for a quick snack and a cloudy photo.
A nice walk over to number 2 by this time the cloud had blown thru and I could get a decent summit shot back over towards Lochnagar. It was a clear view all round now so the top of Carn an t-Sagairt Mor was a clear target, the woman walking a bit ahead of me took the route straight up the side of the hill towards the top but I decided to follow the path round and take the less steep ascent more parallel with the path I used for the descent. I spent a bit of time at the top hunting about for the plane wreckage, there are a lot of large pieces spread over quite a distance.
Cairn Bannoch was busy when I got there with a group doing the circuit in the opposite direction.
The walk to Broad Cairn was easy going up to the Rocky top at 1130. Quite a bouldery descent before you get back onto the newly constructed path which you can see snaking its way back along the top of the hills above the loch. I met two guys sitting at the shed and the said about cutting down the side of the hill and walking back along the side of the loch. I took this option so the dog could get in for a swim and a drink.
A long slog back to the car park past the lovely big house on the side of the loch which apparently has a newly renovated bothy behind it. 2.5hrs later back to a very busy car park and a welcome cool drink from the shop.
bacon1981
Mountaineer

Munros:122   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland