walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Longer Route from Rannoch Station - Worthwhile!

Longer Route from Rannoch Station - Worthwhile!

Postby Christie22 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Dearg (Corrour), Sgòr Gaibhre

Date walked: 19/07/2018

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 32.2 km

Ascent: 990m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had never really fancied the route that takes in these hills from Corrour Halt, for two reasons. Firstly, we didn't like the idea of having to walk against the clock. Secondly, who would want to rely on Scotrail to that extent?

We read a report by Cameron McNeish, of a route which tackled these two hills from near Rannoch Station, so we thought we would give it a go. It's quite a bit longer than from Corrour Halt, but it follows the Road to the Isles, then a natural horseshoe circuit and is predominantly on good ground. Having said that, we travelled over some areas that would have been pretty boggy if we had not previously enjoyed several weeks of predominantly dry weather. Summer 2018 in Scotland (or at least most of it) has been one to remember already!

The hills are not fantastically interesting in themselves but are amazing viewpoints with vast open areas to the south and west. The only desicision we had to make was exactly when to come down to the path beside Allt Eigheach from the ridge to the south of Sgor Gaibhre. We had initially planned to walk further south before descending, but the route through the southern end was a bit complicated and the final slopes were steeper, so we're glad we came down beside a burn when we did.

We really enjoyed being able to see Ben Alder and the other 5 Munros in that area to the north, along with the south end of Loch Ericht and the east end of Loch Ossian. Those were all new views for me, even after many years of plodding around the Highlands. We were also rewarded by quite a lot of friendly wildlife of all kinds and an RAF Typhoon, which flew up Coire Eigheach BELOW us, to our surprise! The only down side was the prevalence of hungry clegs lower down, although there was enough breeze to keep midges at bay.

Finally, on the way out, we noticed a sign which warned vaguely of stalking but which was obviously attached permanently to its post. On the assumption that stalking in this area is not yet 24/7 year round, I'm not sure what the public is supposed to understand from it(?)

(PS - it might be useful to know that I have managed to find a way (accidentally) of posting all of the following images in reverse order! They may make more sense working from the bottom up. Good luck!)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Apparently permanent stalking.jpg
Apparently permanent stalking in progress!
Allt Eigheach very low.jpg
Allt Eigheach very low but there is also a bridge handy nearby
Descending to Allt Eigheach.jpg
Descending into Coire Eigheach
Golden Plover F Reduced.jpg
Female Golden Plover, I think
Golden Plover M Reduced.jpg
Male Golden Plover
View east from top of Sgor Gaibhre.jpg
View east from the top of Sgor Gaibhre
Looking north to Ben Alder.jpg
Looking northeast to Ben Alder
East end of Loch Ossian looking north.jpg
Looking north over the east end of Loch Ossian
Looking back at Carn Dearg.jpg
Looking back at the walk across from Carn Dearg
Heading towards Sgor Gaibhre.jpg
Heading towards Sgor Gaibhre
Alternative start point at Corrour Halt.jpg
Corrour Halt #middleofnowhere
Schiehallion prominent to east from top of Carn Dearg.jpg
Schiehallion prominent in view east from Carn Dearg
Early view to the west.jpg
Early view to the west to Glencoe Hills, Black Mount, Blackwater Reservoir
Southern approach along Road to the Isles.jpg
Southern approach, along the Road to the Isles
New Bridge over Allt Eigheach.jpg
Newish bridge carrying Road to the Isles over Allt Eighheach
Christie22
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:6

Re: Longer Route from Rannoch Station - Worthwhile!

Postby weedavie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:24 am

Good route, it's worth taking in Beinn Pharlagain as well. It's probably the most attractive of the three.

I once met an overweight Dutch couple at the crossing of Allt Eighheach. They were totally knackered so I waited at the road and gave them a lift back to the station. The woman just kept patting me on the shoulder as I drove. They'd a guidebook from the Netherlands suggesting the Road to the Isles back from Corrour was the equivalent of a Sunday afternoon canal stroll in Amsterdam!
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:47 pm

The Road to the Isles - one of Scotland;'s iconic tracks - :D used to be a lovely grassy path. When I did Ben Pharlagan in 2016 ( i think) it had been ruined by Scottish Hydro so that they could drive heavy vehicles along it. for some project. :( :( - there were "yellow monsters" everywhere. :( I made enquiries with the planniing authorities and found that planning consent for the contract included a restoration clause.. Looking at your photos it certainly hasn't happened yet :(
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Postby Christie22 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:29 pm

past my sell by date wrote:The Road to the Isles - one of Scotland;'s iconic tracks - :D used to be a lovely grassy path. When I did Ben Pharlagan in 2016 ( i think) it had been ruined by Scottish Hydro so that they could drive heavy vehicles along it. for some project. :( :( - there were "yellow monsters" everywhere. :( I made enquiries with the planniing authorities and found that planning consent for the contract included a restoration clause.. Looking at your photos it certainly hasn't happened yet :(

Yes, we certainly noticed the highly visible scar, which is a crying shame. Having been involved previously in renewable energy schemes, there are always stringent planning restrictions, which - in this case - would almost certainly require ultimate restoration to what had been there originally. Might be worth an enquiry to the estate, the planning authority and your local MP/MSP.
Christie22
Munro compleatist

Postby Christie22 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:37 pm

weedavie wrote:Good route, it's worth taking in Beinn Pharlagain as well. It's probably the most attractive of the three.

I once met an overweight Dutch couple at the crossing of Allt Eighheach. They were totally knackered so I waited at the road and gave them a lift back to the station. The woman just kept patting me on the shoulder as I drove. They'd a guidebook from the Netherlands suggesting the Road to the Isles back from Corrour was the equivalent of a Sunday afternoon canal stroll in Amsterdam!

One week later, we met a traveller from the USA who had asked the staff at Corrour Station House for a short walk that he could do to stretch his legs for an hour or so. He ended up getting lost, sleeping out overnight (luckily in our best summer for 40 years) and finding himself in Kinlochleven! When he finally got himself back to Corrour station by bus and train, they said 'Oh yes, we wondered where you had gone...........'
Christie22
Munro compleatist

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:43 pm

Christie22 wrote:
One week later, we met a traveller from the USA who had asked the staff at Corrour Station House for a short walk that he could do to stretch his legs for an hour or so. He ended up getting lost, sleeping out overnight (luckily in our best summer for 40 years) and finding himself in Kinlochleven! When he finally got himself back to Corrour station by bus and train, they said 'Oh yes, we wondered where you had gone...........'

I walked from Corrour to Kinlochleven over two corbetts. took about 8 hours I think :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland