walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broughton Heights, Trahenna Hill & 2 Tumps

Broughton Heights, Trahenna Hill & 2 Tumps

Postby Chris Mac » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:48 pm

Route description: Broughton Heights and Trahenna Hill circuit

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Broughton Heights, Trahenna Hill

Date walked: 21/07/2018

Time taken: 3.47 hours

Distance: 12.4 km

Ascent: 710m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Broughton-Heights--Trahenna-Hill.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having been out almost every weekend this summer for a walk, this one would be no different and instead of heading north we'd be going south east towards Broughton to walk some of the Marilyns there and make for an easier day out. Saturday was the better forecast so we set off and were soon making good pace down the M74 and along to Broughton parking at Broughton Place walkers car park.

A few other cars were there and a few other walkers and dog walkers were out and about despite clouds and mist covering the tops of the bigger hills. Boots on, bag sorted, off we went through the gate and along the track towards Hammer Head:
ImageDSC_3052 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Hammer Head, Tump top of Trahenna Hill, we'll be heading up that way after Pyked Stane Hill, summit of Broughton Heights:
ImageDSC_3059 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Passing the bulk of Trahenna Hill on the right, the summit is a mound over on the other side:
ImageDSC_3066 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Gaining height now, Culter Fell in the clouds behind us, another day for not so big hills:
ImageDSC_3068 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We pass Hammer Head on the left along the good track, passing the first of several memorial benches:
ImageDSC_3069 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Around the corner, now heading towards Broomy Side, Clover Law on the left:
ImageDSC_3077 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We reach Andy Elliot's bench and turn left:
ImageDSC_3090 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

On the right the path goes towards Penvalla in the distance and you can see the path we'll take up Hammer Head going from the people in the pic up to the right:
ImageDSC_3093 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The grassy path takes us up to Cowiemuir Hass where we can see the summit of Broughton Heights at last:
ImageDSC_3094 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We cross the stil and start following the path up to Broomy Side and Green Law. Behind us in the distance Dungavel Hill and Tinto are in the mist:
ImageDSC_3109 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The decent grassy tracks make for fast progress up to Green Law:
ImageDSC_3111 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_3124 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking back, Broad Law can be seen in clouds on the left:
ImageDSC_3138 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

To the right is Culter Fell and Chapelgill Hill, also in the clouds:
ImageDSC_3150 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Starting to clear up a bit now:
ImageDSC_3152 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We continue along the path and directly north are the Pentlands:
ImageDSC_3154 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Heading down from Green Law and up to Pyked Stane Hill, summit of Broughton Heights:
ImageDSC_3175 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_3185 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Trig point:
ImageDSC_3189 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We sit down and rest using the trig point for shelter as the wind had picked up a bit, in fact the whole walk up the hill side had been a bit breezy due to the wind coming from the west so it was a welcome shelter but not quite big enough for two!

We sat and snacked and soaked in the view, Pentlands again, West Kip standing out as always:
ImageDSC_3191 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Broad Law tot he south, Trahenna Hill summit is the green mound far left:
ImageDSC_3202 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Culter Fell now clearing a bit too:
ImageDSC_3206 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

This is the life, not quite as scenic as Glen Coe less than a week ago but a walk much more up Y's street and regardless of where you are and what hill you are on, nothing beats having lunch from an elevated vantage point:
ImageDSC_3210 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Despite there being a fair few walkers (with and without dogs) out and about only one other couple arrive at the summit while we are there. We chat briefly then decide to continue on, looking south, Broad Law, Gathersnow Hill and Culter Fell in the background, Clover Law sticking out in the foreground:
ImageDSC_3215 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Back down and up Green Law:
ImageDSC_3219 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Trahenna Hill next, the whole hill can be seen here including the green summit mound sticking out at the back:
ImageDSC_3230 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Hammer Head, Green Lairs, Gray Yade and Trahenna Hill:
ImageDSC_3234 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Up and over Broomy Side then down again:
ImageDSC_3235 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

This shot shows the path we'll take up the cut heather, then up the steep squiggle cutting uphill through more heather:
ImageDSC_3239 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Clover Law and down to Cowiemuir Hass:
ImageDSC_3253 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking back at Pyked Stane Hill and Green Law of Broughton Heights:
ImageDSC_3254 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Back on to the John Buchan Way again briefly:
ImageDSC_3256 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We head along the path towards Penvalla as indicated earlier, then turn right and head for the steep ascent up Hammer Head, what a great hill name! :D
ImageDSC_3262 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The steep path cutting through the heather was fine but a tad slippy on some scree higher up. NOw at the top looking back at Broomy Side and Green Law:
ImageDSC_3273 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Up Hammer Head we go...
ImageDSC_3276 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking down to the right at the start point:
ImageDSC_3281 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Zoomed to the Walkers Car Park, Broughton Place (the big castle/house which is now flats) and Culter Fell/Chapelgill Hill:
ImageDSC_3283 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Approaching the summit cairn, actual summit on the left next to the fence:
ImageDSC_3292 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Pentlands still peeking out behind Brown Dod:
ImageDSC_3295 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Hammer Head cairn looking south west to the three local Grahams:
ImageDSC_3303 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

With a much bigger cairn to share and shelter from the breeze we enjoy another quick break before heading off again for the final target for the day, heading over Green Lairs and Gray Yade on the way:
ImageDSC_3307 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking back on the way up Gray Yade towards Broughton Heights:
ImageDSC_3332 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Penvalla on the left, it would have been nice to add this too but Y didn't want a big walk today so we kept it simple and kept to the WH route:
ImageDSC_3334 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Gray Yade next then on to the final summit:
ImageDSC_3336 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Heading up Gray Yade...
ImageDSC_3339 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Atop Gray Yade and we can now see the summit mound of Trahenna Hill... except it proves one too far for Y who decides she'll just wait briefly then continue back down the hill. Once again i'm off like a shot to summit Marilyn number 2 for the day:
ImageDSC_3345 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I cross the fence and join another grassy ATV track:
ImageDSC_3351 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I go over another fence and i'm at the summit fence post, now with a couple of boulders added so a cairn could be taking shape here, might have to take a boulder up here if I visit again in the future! :wink:
ImageDSC_3356 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Trahenna Hill summit post:
ImageDSC_3362 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's another very good viewpoint and luckily visibility has now improved from this morning, looking south to Pykestone Hill, Dollar Law and Broad Law:
ImageDSC_3363 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Broad Law:
ImageDSC_3370 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Worm Hill with the River Tweed cuitting through the Glen below:
ImageDSC_3372 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Gathersnow Hill:
ImageDSC_3375 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Culter Fell range again, much clearer now:
ImageDSC_3376 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Tinto:
ImageDSC_3381 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Broughton Heights from Trahenna Hill:
ImageDSC_3387 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Summit shot looking north east towards the Pentlands and Penvalla:
ImageDSC_3392 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Time to head back and follow the fence to catch up with Y, Black Mount in the distance back right:
ImageDSC_3393 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Hey wait up... :lol:
ImageDSC_3396 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking back at the summit as I play catch up yet again...
ImageDSC_3399 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Back on the main path again, no sign of Y though... hmm hopefully just down the next rise:
ImageDSC_3401 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Another close up of Broad Law which I have a feeling i'll get up at some point this year, too many Corbetts on my doorstep to the south that I have yet to explore...
ImageDSC_3405 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Aha there she is, speedy Gonzalez! I start catching up then get distracted by some photo opportunities...
ImageDSC_3409 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Halfway down Trahenna Hill you get a cracking view of Broughton Heights:
ImageDSC_3417 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Pyked Stane Hill and Green Law:
ImageDSC_3429 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I continue down to Cat Cleugh Head where the double track turns right and heads back down to the car park, which you can clearly see... unfortunately as I reached this section and started heading down hill there was no sign of Y.... don't tell me she took the small path heading left and continuing down to Ratchill Hill...?! She might encounter a load of relaxing rodents if she heads that way!! :crazy:

I decide to turn right and head along that way, shouting on Y in the hope she'll hear me halfway down the hillside. Luckily there is a path where I decide to do this:
ImageDSC_3432 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Shortly after a figure comes down the hillside... :lol:
ImageDSC_3436 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

She hadn't realised that we were continuing down the track and took the path branching off and heading along the top of the hill, then saw the car park and thought "hang on..." then heard me calling!

I said not to run off ahead of me in future as it's always best to wait and luckily it's not as if we were high up on a ridge in the mist in the middle of nowhere but the lesson remains, stick to the group! :)

Now just an easy saunter back to the car. On the way down Broughton House is prominent, now a block of flats:
ImageDSC_3441 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Cheerio Tinto, car park down below...
ImageDSC_3452 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

And that's a wrap!
ImageDSC_3460 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We thoroughly enjoyed our hike up Broughton Heights and Trahenna Hill, both are great viewpoints and it's an enjoyable walk in a nice area. Our only fault for the day was deciding to return to The Crown Inn in Biggar as unlike a few years ago it has dropped in standard and wasn't that enjoyable. Oh well, next time we are in the area we'll be sure to find a new place to go for dinner and one thing for sure is that we will return, there are still plenty of hills around here to keep us entertained for years! :D
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Broughton Heights, Trahenna Hill & 2 Tumps

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:32 pm

Yes, these hills do make for a nice relatively short walk with some good views like many of the hills down this way towards the borders. Went round them a week before last Christmas just after dropping my younger son off very early at Edinburgh Airport and wanted to go for a walk before driving back through to Glasgow - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland