walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich and Stuc A’Chroin

Ben Vorlich and Stuc A’Chroin

Postby Mikeyroach91 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:38 am

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 26/07/2018

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1145m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had planned on doing this route on the weekend but on checking the weather report and seeing it was meant to be a traditional Scottish summers day of rain I decided to take a half day at work and head straight for Loch Earn. I'd been up Ben Ledi on Monday and hit cloud about 1/3 of the way up so I wanted to get up the hills and enjoy some stunning views at least once this week.

The intial path up towards Ben Vorlich I found steady going but was still sweating buckets due to the 26*C heat and the sun beating down on me. Still, I managed to make good time and made it to the summit in just under an hour and a half. When Stuc A’Chroin came into view at the top I thought it looked pretty intimidating and wondered if I should just head back down the way I came but i knew I'd be kicking myself if I did. The descent into the bealach was fairly straightforward but when faced with the rocky face infront of me I decided I would go for the “easier” route up, the return path from route description. This was still a very steep scramble and the dirt and rocks were very loose with all the dry weather we’ve been having. After this section it was a straightforward walk up to the summit with great views all around especially back to Ben Vorlich. Beginning my descent I was pretty apprehensive about going back down the steep zig-zag path but by being careful and taking my time I actually found it easier than the climb up. At the bottom it was easy to pick out the path round the lower west side of Ben Vorlich and this was a steady but enjoyable walk back to rejoin the main path. Was 7.30pm by the time I made it back to car at Loch Earn so only passed a couple of people on the way back down. Very enjoyable days walking but I was definitely needing my dinner and a beer after it.
Mikeyroach91
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Ben Vorlich and Stuc A’Chroin

Postby saramegan1991 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi Mikey,

Sounds like a fab walk, came by here before and struggled to find the parking. Any tips?
saramegan1991
Bird-watcher

Munros:9   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland