walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

beinn narnain -VIEWS!!!

beinn narnain -VIEWS!!!

Postby blueyed » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 29/05/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did a little different combination - beinn narnain and the cobbler. i believe some guys would be able to do 3 of them (with beinn ime) but ... well, i'm a girl :)
we left arrochar car park early morning, enjoyed views over loch long, water still, beautiful reflections!
the ascent begins right after crossing the road and is quite steep at first. after passing the forest and leaving trees behind the views to ben lomond and loch long are spectacular! just before cruach nam miseag the path becomes thousand paths and it's hard to find the right one. anyway, most of them got up and so should you :) cruach nam miseag is the first 'false top', there is going to be more... after climbing one you see there is another one.. and another one... then the final, real summit showes up and makes great impression. beautiful, rocky, required some (very easy) scrambling. i must say, the top is not what i expected, looking from the bottom i thought the summit is a narrow rock :) i could't have been more mistaken -the summit is large, wide and grassy 'belly type'. great views to ben vane, beinn ime, the cobbler, loch long, ben lomond.
i went down the the glen and started climbing the cobbler, which was much easier than it looked like, maybe half an hour walk. from cobbler i went down along the ridge (not down to the glen) -it was long walk, boggy, lots of mud and water, path invisible at some points especially last descent to the weir. would recommend though :)

more pictures here: http://around-scotland.blogspot.com/search/label/beinn%20narnain
Attachments
DSC_6214.jpg
loch long reflections
DSC_6217.jpg
DSC_6225.jpg
after first steep ascent
DSC_6226.jpg
ben lomond
DSC_6258.jpg
cruach nam miseag and the cobbler
DSC_6262.jpg
beinn narnain, summit
DSC_6263.jpg
ben vane
DSC_6273.jpg
the cobbler
DSC_6277.jpg
beinn narnain, nearly there!
DSC_6283.jpg
summit
DSC_6298.jpg
Last edited by blueyed on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: VIEWS!!!

Postby ceebeeby » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:04 pm

Wow, truly spectacular views - looks like a fab walk!
ceebeeby
Mountain Walker

Munros:10   

Postby skuk007 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:36 am

Nice report and pics there blueyed, you got great weather for that one. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:06 am

I take it with the 2nd to last pic you weren't on your own then? I can't imagine you'd have left your camera all down there and run back up onto the crag! Love the second pic where you can see the bottom of Loch Long - really beautiful. Some great pics of Beinn Narnain there - one of my favourite hills so far :D
mountain coward

Postby blueyed » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:16 am

MC, hardly ever I am alone heh, my partner is a hillwalk-crazy too :)
beinn narnain was ok, i got a bit tired of it because of the false summits.. and what was worse, we went there group of 4, as we discovered on the way up, one of us had a height and space problems (what do you call that??) and she was struggling all the way up and back. anyway, the walk was great, we managed to stay dry :) and take some nice pics :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:24 am

LOL - like my height problems - I just call mine 'mountain cowardice'! :lol: But I know exactly how your friend feels about heights. I found Narnain okay though...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland