walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Right Dam

The Right Dam

Postby Doric Plodder » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:23 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stùcd an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Sron a' Choire Chnapanich

Date walked: 18/07/2018

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1067m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had planned to walk this route back in May, but missed the road marked 'Lochs Estate' :( and ended up at the Glen Lyon Dam; from where I climbed Beinn Heasgarnich and Creag Mhor instead. However, today I managed to arrive at the right dam! :) My plan was to follow Cameron McNeish's route around Loch an Diamh and after briefly chatting to a couple at the parking area, who were the only people I met all day, I set off across the bridge and along the track. The cairn which marked the start of the hill path was easily noticeable and the hill path up to Creag an Fheadain's east ridge certainly got the lungs working.

P1000970.JPG
Back to the dam

P1000971.JPG
Across to Stuchd an Lochain

Thankfully the grassy ridge above Lochan nan Cat gave some much needed respite and the summit of Stuchd an Lochain was soon reached.

P1000973.JPG
Stuchd an Lochan's cairn

From here until the summit of Meall Buidhe the hill paths virtually disappeared and it began to feel much more like a 'back-country' experience (cue dueling banjo music).

P1000974.JPG
Fenceposts showing the way to Meall an Odhar

Having spotted a herd of deer on Meallan Odhar and having noticed on the estate's sign back at the parking area that stalking would start on this estate in two days time, I decided to try and not spook the deer and headed directly for Bealach a' Mhaim to the south of Sron a' Choire Chnapanich, missing out Meallan Odhar altogether.

P1000975.JPG
View of Sron a Choire Chnapanich

P1000978.JPG
Bealach at the foot of Sron a Choire Chnapanich

After having negotiated the numerous peat hags and boggy ground on this detour and in the bealach, I was glad to be heading up the more straightforward southern slopes of Sron a' Choire Chanpanich.

P1000980.JPG
Looking across to Stuchd an Lochain from Sron a Choire Chnapanich's cairn

To say the descent from Sron a' Choire Chanpanich is 'steep' is an understatement! Looking down I felt some trepidation at the thought of making this descent, because it looked VERY steep from the top with no obvious or easy way down. However I knew other WH'ers had already done this descent and therefore it was possible, so I carefully picked my way down. Stopping at the bottom for lunch, I regained my composure and soaked in the seclusion of this remote and quiet spot,

P1000981.JPG
The Steep slopes of Sron a Choire Chnapanich

P1000982.JPG
The view east across the loch

After lunch the steep walk up towards Meall Cruinn began, pausing often for breath, I eventually reaching a point southeast of Meall Cruinn. Here I took a bearing for Meall Buidhe and began the long tramp through peat hags and moorland towards the second Munro of the day. Thankfully the clouds were well above the summits and visibility was excellent, as navigation through this pathless and fairly featureless terrain in poor visibility, with only a map and compass, would have been challenging (well for me anyway).

P1000983.JPG
Looking across to Stuchd an Lochain

P1000984.JPG
Where is Meall Buidhe?

Eventually I started to pass the small cairns marking the way to Meall Buidhe and it's summit eventually came into sight well before I reached the ridge.

P1000985.JPG
The final pull to Meall Buidhe

P1000986.JPG
Looking across to Stuchd an Lochain from Meall Buidhe's cairn

I followed the obvious path to Meall a' Phuill where it then became indistinct. From here I decided to take a line downhill towards the dam that would hopefully avoid the worst of the rough ground.

P1000988.JPG
Looking across Loch an Daimh

It had been a tiring and refreshingly quiet day and I was glad to reach the car. I was also pleased to find that the herd of highland cows which had been grazing close by had not used my car as a scratching post! :D
Doric Plodder
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: The Right Dam

Postby Sgurr » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Doric Plodder wrote:To say the descent from Sron a' Choire Chanpanich is 'steep' is an understatement! Looking down I felt some trepidation at the thought of making this descent, because it looked VERY steep from the top with no obvious or easy way down. However I knew other WH'ers had already done this descent and therefore it was possible,

Always reassuring to know that others have done it. However, some of the others may be mountain goats with brilliant heads for heights, so I don't think I would blindly assume it would be OK...however, with 60 MUnros to your name, you are obviously up to standard. In my early days, I would look at other folks' descents and think "No way!"
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: The Right Dam

Postby Doric Plodder » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:21 pm

Sgurr wrote:Always reassuring to know that others have done it. However, some of the others may be mountain goats with brilliant heads for heights, so I don't think I would blindly assume it would be OK.

Thanks Sgurr, you're quite right! ('Don't be a sheep' my dad used to say :) ).However, in my defence, I had a good view of the descent from Sron a' Choire Chanpanich as I left the summit of Stuchd an Lochain and I was confident that this descent was within my capabilities. I just had a moment of doubt at the top... which is what I was trying to convey in my walk report.
Doric Plodder
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland