walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Macdui & co from Linn of Dee

Macdui & co from Linn of Dee

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:09 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Càrn a' Mhàim, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 03/08/2018

Time taken: 8.05 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 1565m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was our first outing after the Skye soaking which was almost 2 weeks ago, George was unavailable so it was just myself and Parminder. The original idea was to head out 4 days earlier but the forecast was anything but walker friendly, 40mph winds and some wet stuff so we settled on Friday.
Parminder kindly offered to drive and as we were Cairngorms bound bikes were the order of the day. Parminder has a Beemer saloon (with a real boot) so squishing one bike inside is challenging and 2 bikes would be interesting. Not a problem as Parminder had acquired a contraption that is attached on top of and to the rear of the boot. Parminder pitched up at my house with the contraption in place and his bike already strapped on, I was expecting to squish my bike into the back so had already removed the front wheel. So it was a quick job to reattach the wheel and then fasten my bike onto the rear and coupled up with Parminders.
So off we set, as this was the first time the contraption had been tested we were both a bit apprehensive, there was a bit of excessive wind noise when 70mph was reached but apart from that, it worked a treat.
We arrived at Linn of Dee car park and were on our bikes just before 8.30. the weather was ideal a slight breeze (to keep the hungry insect population away) and we had already agreed to dump the bikes at Derry Lodge after passing 2 groups of walkers who opted to walk. As far as I am concerned a 20 minute cycle is just slightly better than a 1 hour walk, especially when you factor in the return trip!!
Parminder was familiar with the first part of the route as we would be heading along the same route we took for the Braeriach Traverse. I was familiar with Carn a'Mhaim & Macdui route as they were numbers 199 & 200 first time around, Derry Cairngorm seemed an obvious addition this time as it was almost on the way back to Derry Lodge, just a slight detour of a few hundred metres of ascent or so.

Off we go, a few vehicles were already in the car park

Taken whilst freewheeling, great track to Derry Lodge

Further along the track

Nearing Derry Lodge

We discussed where to dump/abandon the bikes whilst in the car and we both agreed rather than struggle across the boggy bit on the other side of the bridge, we would leave them at the lodge. As it turned out the boggy bit was very dry, but we still made the correct decision as the track after that is for 'real' cyclists and we would spend more time off the bike than on it.
So bikes were parked and chained together and the walking would begin.
I will give a mention to couple of guys (presumably from the west), we passed them whilst they were walking to Derry Lodge, we met them on the summit of Macdui and had a brief chat. I think they have been converted to utilising wheels next time they start from the Linn of Dee. They would follow us up and then down Derry Cairngorm.

The temporary bridge

The way ahead

Our first target

Luibeg Bridge

The Luibeg, not a raging torrent

Downstream

Snap

Looking back towards Derry Lodge

Who could this be following me?

First peek of where we were a few months ago, Devils Point and co

Devils Point again

Early view of Ben Macdui

Summit cairn of Carn a'Mhaim just appearing

Macdui on the right and Braeriach on the left, 2nd & 3rd highest hills in the UK

Devils Point & Cairn Toul

Looking down on Corrour Bothy, the next photo will make it easy to spot

Bothy zoomed - quite a bit

The way down the ridge off Carn a'Mhaim

Looking across Glen Dee

Devils Point from further along the ridge

Next bit of the ridge with Braeriach in the distance

Corrour Bothy again

Reaching the end of the ridge off Carn a'Mhaim before starting the ascent up Macdui

Looking back to Carn a'Mhaim, with someone ruining a good photo

Devils Point with a shower in the glen

Great shot of Carn a'Mhaim

Bit of cloud now covering the monsters on the other side of the glen

Typical boulder field in this vicinity

Last shot of Devils Point, weather changing slightly

Refuel spot for us, lovely clear water

Ruin

Interior of the ruin

Macdui trig

Just like my last visit to Macdui, the summit plateau was littered with fellow walkers and we had hardly seen a soul all day. Most of the numerous shelters on the plateau had folk either eating or drinking inside them. We had a brief chat with the 2 guys we passed earlier, took a few photo's and set off on our way.

A photo that kind of demonstrates how many shelters there are

Our final target Derry Cairngorm

The way ahead

Derry Cairngorm from Narrow Gully

Way ahead

Prepared to be shocked - Parminder was leading the way, I had stopped to put my jacket on whilst a shower passed through and opted to be brave

Looking back and across to Narrow Gully

Summit cairn on Derry Cairngorm

Lochan Uaine

Parminder revelling in being the leader

A few shots during the descent off Derry Cairngorm looking down on Glen Derry, burn looks rather dry

Looking out towards the Linn of Dee in the very far distance

That concludes another great day out, weather turned out much better than forecast. A huge thanks to Parminder for driving and for his usual great company. The Cairngorms is a magical place and never disappoints.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Macdui & co from Linn of Dee

Postby dibs » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:35 am

Great report Martin and good weather too for those ones. Looks like you have made a sprinter out of Parminder :crazy: :lol:
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

Postby parminder » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:47 am

Great day out, Great views, Great weather. Great company..great wrire up.. :clap:
parminder
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   Corbetts:23
Fionas:25   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:108   Hewitts:2

Postby Spade » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Great report and really enjoyed reading this one :clap:
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby larry groo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:23 am

Great report and pics. Love this area.

:clap:
larry groo

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland