walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobbler, needle & thread(ing)

The Cobbler, needle & thread(ing)

Postby denfinella » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:07 am

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 19/07/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 920m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Cobbler was the last summit we wanted to climb in the Arrochar Alps ahead of an upcoming move away from Glasgow in August (there are other nearby hills we haven't done, but none on our must-do list). We'd been putting it off while my partner got some basic scrambling experience on other hills, and hopefully now we'd be able to thread the needle without any problems.

The Cobbler.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked in the car park at half 9 - plenty of space, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover the parking fee was only £1 per day. I'd no idea at that point that the local council were due to raise the fee to £9 per day the next month! :shock:

It was a lovely morning as we started up the zig-zags - not too warm (though still shorts weather) and barely a cloud to be seen. Much better than the MWIS forecast, which had predicted "occasional glimpses of sunshine". The Met Office were forecasting cloud to come in from mid-afternoon, so we'd started fairly early to make the most of the decent morning.

Zig-zags:

1.jpg

Bench with a view (taken on descent):

2.jpg

Leaving the welcome shade of the trees, we headed past the reservoir and up the Allt a' Bhalachain:

3.jpg

First views of The Cobbler from the path are impressive:

4.jpg

Looking back (taken on descent):

5.jpg

On top of the world (well, the Narnain Boulders :lol: ):

6.jpg

It occurred to me that Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime had been our very first hills after moving to Glasgow in 2014. So it seemed fitting that their neighbour, The Cobbler, would be our last. Anyway, soon we reached the path junction where the direct ascent path turns off to the left. Following it up, the easy gradient steepens a little...

7.jpg

...and then a lot :lol:

8.jpg

The path loses definition among all the boulders at times, and we had to use hands at a couple of points where we probably weren't quite taking the easiest line. Ahead, the Cobbler's rocky architecture looked magnificent:

9.jpg

10.jpg

View back the way we'd come:

11.jpg

Suddenly we popped out on the summit ridge, where we got our first views north - surprisingly it was almost completely overcast in that direction. Onwards to the needle:

12.jpg

The needle turned out to be much more straightforward than I was expecting - no problems for either of us, although it's definitely harder in descent. So is that what the Inaccessible Pinnacle is like? :wink: The rock was also completely dry, which was reassuring as the ledge on the right hand slopes outwards over a long drop. View from the top (just to prove we did it :lol: ):

13.jpg

Back at the base of the needle, looking across The Brack and down Loch Long:

14.jpg

Mean, green, Beinn Ime to the north:

15.jpg

Across to the North Peak (Beinn Narnain behind):

16.jpg

The North Peak is lower, but is another very characterful summit and well worth the detour:

17.jpg

18.jpg

North Peak summit cairn (evidently it hasn't been windy recently!):

19.jpg

20.jpg

Beinn Narnain - my first love :shh:

21.jpg

Down to the bealach on a well-built staircase:

22.jpg

The long road home:

23.jpg

Stopped to dip our feet in the burn further down, then set off back down the zig-zags - back to the car just as the sun was replaced by stubborn clouds.

Worth the wait, this one! So long, Arrochar Alps...
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: The Cobbler, needle & thread(ing)

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:21 pm

Nice one. Great pictures. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sgurr » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:51 am

Inn Pin vs. The Cobbler

Most people have a guide with a rope for the In Pinn, so you feel marginally safer. There are less people hanging around (usually) so if you freak out and decide it's not for you, fewer people there to witness it. I have never heard of anybody fall to their death off the In Pinn

However, you have to abseil off it, which you don't with The Cobbler. For me, this meant learning a new technique.
You can wander up The Cobber any decent day and have a go, which you can't with the In Pinn unless you don't need a guide.

Both are assumed to be the toughest of their respective rounds, I found Stac Pollaidh (for the Grahams) a bit of a challenge once I had done in my shoulder but nothing like the toughies which await you if you decide to complete the Marilyns

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby denfinella » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:43 pm

Thanks Sunset Tripper!

Sgurr - yes, hopefully you realised I was being tongue in cheek about comparing the Cobbler to the Inn Pinn!

We're not hill baggers (for now at least) and we don't have rope skills, so I think it's unlikely we'll ever need to worry about doing the sea stacks or the Inn Pinn. Stac Pollaidh is definitely on the list though - presumably the last bit is quite a bit more difficult than The Cobbler?
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby Sgurr » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:17 pm

Yes, should have made it clearer in my reply that I wasn't serious. I found the last bit of Stac Pollaidh harder than The Cobbler, but that was probably because I had by then acquired a rotary cuff tear.in shoulder. This is malky_c's photo of where to go, which I printed and took with me. Good luck

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby denfinella » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:44 am

@Sgurr: useful photo, thanks (and thanks Malky). Now I just need to remember I have it when we do get round to doing it... :lol:
denfinella
Wanderer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland