walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Diet of Berries

A Diet of Berries

Postby Yorjick » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Route description: Beinn nan Oighreag, Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Oighreag

Date walked: 04/08/2018

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1200m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having spent the previous night on Meall nan Subh (hill of the berries), I had already got my old legs working, when I set up from Glen Lochy with the main objective being Beinn nan Oighreag (Hill of the cloudberries). The weather was fine at the start, only to slowly deteriorate as I ascended the south ridge of Beinn nan Oighreag, only for the rain to stop and the clouds open up on reaching the summit ridge. Perfect timing! :D

IMGP1270_resize.jpg
Looking across to Cam Chreag - the ridge I would follow to the top of Meall Ghaordie.

IMGP1274_resize.JPG
About 500 metres distance before the summit - looking towards the Tarmachan Ridge - the hills quickly clearing!

IMGP1275_resize.jpg
Looking west towards Meall Ghaordie and Stuchd an Lochain - Meall Buidhe far right.

The photos do not show it but there was a rather fresh breeze, so I headed east from the summit to find a sheltered spot for a spot of lunch and to link my camera and phone for a summit selfie.

IMGP1281_resize.JPG

IMGP1282_resize.jpg
I decided to head further north to this small cairn at 899 metres - Ben Lawers group left and Tarmachan Ridge right.

IMGP1289_resize.JPG
Meall Buidhe - I think it is Ben Alder in the cloud with Beinn Bheoil to its right.

I followed the fence posts down to the bealach, though deviating to easier ground at times, had a snack and headed up to Cam Chreag, here looking towards Creag an Tulabhain. Stuchd an Lochan left and Meall Buidhe and the Corbett Cam Chreag to the right.

IMGP1292_resize.jpg

Looking south to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin, as well as the Corbett Beinn Each.

IMGP1297_resize.JPG

IMGP1298_resize.JPG
Looking back to Beinn nan Oighreag.

Unfortunately, more low clouds arrived and I did not have the benefit of enjoying the full 360 degree views from the top. Still, it was not so windy and it was comfortable to linger for a while.

IMGP1300_resize.JPG

Picking up a path from the summit, I was reminded of how much easier the Munros can be compared to the Corbetts :thumbup: . Heading down through vegetation, possibly with hidden holes, increases the risk of injury and requires much greater care than heading down a clear path, such as this one which is the main route up and down Meal Ghaordie.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Re: A Diet of Berries

Postby alan54 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:46 pm

Wish I had read your report BEFORE I went to do Beinn nan Oighreag and Meall Ghaordaidh not AFTER- you did a much better and shorter route! :)
alan54
Mountain Walker

Munros:134   Corbetts:36
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:18

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland