walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Solo walk - Beinn Narnain and the Cobbler

Solo walk - Beinn Narnain and the Cobbler

Postby Huntly Hills » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 15/10/2017

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off from Margaret and Gerry's at 07:30 to catch the 08:06 train from Glasgow Central to Arrochar & Tarbet. Train journey was on time and I arrived at Arrochar at 09:37. I walked out of the back of the station and made may way through Arrochar to Succoth. I arrived by 10:15 and set-off up Narnain following the walkhighlands route directly up the mountain passing the concrete bases that remain from the old hydro project. Step ascent in parts on a wet but reasonably warm morning. Cloud was low lying and I reached it shortly after breaking the tree line. I climbed on through the cloud and eventually came out above it for a brief time with great views to Ben Lomond. Cloud then closed in again with poor visibility. I made my way up along the narrow path and saw a pair of ptarmiggan at close range. Through several rocky sections to the summit where I ate lunch alone at the trig point around 13:00

My intention was to climb Beinn Ime as well, however fearing that I would miss my train back to Glasgow I decided I would descend Narnain and then go up and over the Cobbler before returning to the station. The descent of Narnain to the bealach was quick and straight forward and after a brief stop for a banana I headed to The Cobbler. Ascent of the Cobbler was quick from this side with a clear path. Plenty of people at the top but plenty of cloud too so views were limited. After spending about 20 minutes at the top exploring the various peaks I made my way down and back to Succoth past the Narnain Boulders.

Made it back to the station at 16:05 to catch the 16:27 back to Glasgow. I did wonder if I would have had time to climb Beinn Ime after all.

Overall an enjoyable solo walk with some minor navigational challenges at the top of Narnain in the cloud.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Huntly Hills
Munro compleatist

Munros:28   Corbetts:2
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland