walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great walk but horrible drive home from Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Great walk but horrible drive home from Beinn Iutharn Mhor

Postby dogplodder » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:56 pm

Route description: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr and Càrn Bhac, Inverey

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr

Date walked: 23/06/2018

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 30 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our original plan was to head west but forecast was better east so I suggested a return to Glen Ey for my last unclimbed Munro east of the A9 (apart from the two in the middle of nowhere), Beinn Iutharn Mhor. My companions for the day were grandson Jonny who is happy to do anything and Ian who was keen to pick off Carn a' Gheoidh over towards Cairnwell. It would be fair to say Glen Ey would not be the usual approach for Carn a' Gheoidh but Ian is not averse to long distances or unusual approaches, so it was a deal. I decided not to bring Callie out of deference to ground nesting birds.

The early morning drive via Cock Bridge was beautiful, with the ever changing views of the Cairngorm range, Ben Avon's tors and an abundance of rabbits on the road to keep us entertained. We had an unfulfilled toilet stop at Braemar (toilets not open) and parked at Inverey. The plan was to start the walk all together then at the right pyschological moment Ian would change gear and speed off ahead in search of CaG while we continued at a normal person's speed towards BIM.

I told my grandson about the community Ey burn split and this being the last place in the east to speak Gaelic. Then we talked about the outlawed colonel, saw the sign for his bed but managed to resist going down to have a look. Well we did have a long way to go.

At some point before the next bridge Ian felt the urge to speed up and was soon a dot on the track ahead. On tracks where bikes are commonly used this man does not need a bike!

Spot Ian on the track ahead
IMG_6080-large.JPG

River Ey
IMG_6082-large.JPG

Looking back at what we'd aleady done and still raring to go
IMG_6083-large.JPG

Target hill now in view
IMG_6084-large.JPG

We weren't bothered by insects as the wind was strong enough to deter even the clegs, which have been such a menace this summer.

Water surface whipped up in breeze
IMG_6085-largec.JPG

It was good to be back, walking the same track as three years earlier to climb Carn Bhac with Moira, and I was surprised by how familiar it felt, even down to the rocks left by glaciation as we approached the lodge. That time we had seen a white tailed eagle between the lodge and Carn Bhac but this time nothing more than lapwings and oyster catchers on the level stretches by the river.

Erratics approaching Altanour Lodge
IMG_6087-largec.JPG

There had been changes to the lodge since I was last there. Now it was fenced off, albeit with a stile which Jonny climbed to have a closer look.

Remains of former shooting lodge
IMG_6090-largec.JPG

It had been a while since we left home so we stopped here for a second breakfast, before starting the next stage of the journey - new ground for me, heading for BIM.

Beinn Iutharn Mhor (on right) is Gaelic for "the big hill mountain"
IMG_6094-large.JPG

For part of the way we followed the burn
IMG_6096-large.JPG

WH said there was a zig zag path, which we looked for as we approached the north east shoulder, but couldn't agree as to whether it was to the right of the craggy bit or to the left. So in the interests of research Jonny took the left and I took the right side. It was steep both sides and neither of us found any path, meeting up again on the ridge.

Steep ascent
IMG_6099-large.JPG

Rehydration point while looking across to Carn Bhac
IMG_6103-large.JPG

Looking back to Altanour Lodge
IMG_6104-large.JPG

Then followed the most enjoyable part of the route, along the ridge to the summit. We met a man with two small terriers on leads who said this was his third attempt on reaching the summit and this time he was determined to make it. We walked together for a bit but then he got talking to someone else, after which we never saw him again, which was strange as we went straight to the summit before retracing our steps along the ridge to where we left him and he was nowhere to be seen.

Heading along ridge to summit
IMG_6106-largec.JPG

Beinn Iutharn Mhor summit (1045m)
IMG_6118-largec.JPG

When we reached the summit I asked Jonny if he understood why folk do this and he said "Oh yes, I totally get it and I love it" which was so good to hear from a 15 year old.

IMG_6109-large.JPG

Notch on skyline is the Lairig Ghru
IMG_6111-large.JPG

Ridge looking northeast from summit
IMG_6119-largec.JPG

The guy with the terriers had said (before he vanished) that there was a zig zag path off the ridge but it was a bit round the corner from where I'd gone up. So my idea was to make for that on the way down. But that didn't quite go to plan. My excuse is that Jonny was telling me a very long joke which had me so absorbed I wasn't fully concentrating on the fact we started our descent down the side of the ridge too soon. At first it was fine. Easy walking on grassy slopes of a comfortable gradient. But then the slope steepened to not so comfortable and at the point we should probably have climbed back up. Jonny said later he was glad I didn't make us do that but our descent was briefly very steep and after my shoulder and ribs injury on Binnein Mor I wasn't keen to do any more damage! It wasn't the most elegant descent but we got to less steep ground from where we made for the burn that I knew would take us back to the lodge where we had arranged to meet Ian.

Our descent route from ridge
IMG_6121-large.JPG

Allt an Stuic Ghiubhais
IMG_6124-largec.JPG

Interesting rocks
IMG_6123-large.JPG

To allow for all eventualities I had suggested 4.00 as an approximate time to meet at the lodge. As it worked out we reached the lodge at exactly 4.00 but Ian had reached it at 3.00 before walking back a bit to meet us.

Reunited with Ian
IMG_6125-largec.JPG

Back at the lodge
IMG_6126-largec.JPG

Knowing we had another 5 miles walking on a hard surface I suggested we stop at the bridge and dip our feet in the water. It's worth the hassle of taking off boots and socks for the bliss of steeping swollen feet in cold water and I find makes them more comfortable for the rest of the journey.

Cooling hot feet
IMG_6129-large.JPG

Banana for energy
IMG_6132-large.JPG

Still 5 miles to get back to the car
IMG_6137-largec.JPG

The return along the glen went fine, although Jonny was noticeably less chatty than he'd been and I figured he was tired. But then he had walked close to 20 miles and I'd never walked that distance at his age! He perked up when I said we'd stop for fish suppers at the Hungry Highlander - which we did, although had to wait about 20 minutes as it was so busy.

It was while we were waiting I felt my eyes jabbing and when I checked in the car mirror they were badly bloodshot. It must have been the pollen. I'm mainly allergic to grass pollen and Glen Ey and its surrounding hills are covered with grass. It had been warm and sunny - optimum conditions for a high pollen count and despite daily antihistamine I was having the worst allergic reaction I've ever had in the way it affected my eyes.

I put eye drops in which gave momentary relief but had to stop twice more on the journey home to reapply. My eyes felt like hot needles jabbing and tears were streaming down my face, but as the only driver all I could was keep driving. The strong sun was low in the north west and even with the sun shield down and sun glasses on there were times I had to hold my hand up to see the road ahead. To add to this misery I kept seeing squashed rabbits on the road and the image I still see in my head is of the weasel hit by a car coming the other way, looping about in its death throes.

Eventually we reached the A9 but even then the sun was a problem. I was very relieved to complete that journey and get my passengers safely home! Apart from that it had been a fabulous day.
Last edited by dogplodder on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Great walk but horrible drive home from Beinn Iutharn Mh

Postby Sgurr » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:45 pm

Sun glasses and sun shield useless for me in those conditions. I bought a baseball cap (something I'd never usually wear) and pull it down low when driving into the sun. Do sympathise, it is horrid with allergic eyes.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Sgurr wrote:Sun glasses and sun shield useless for me in those conditions. I bought a baseball cap (something I'd never usually wear) and pull it down low when driving into the sun. Do sympathise, it is horrid with allergic eyes.

Must have a handy baseball cap next time I'm likely to be in this situation! 8)
dogplodder

Postby Sgurr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Did spot one in your third from last pic.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Sgurr wrote:Did spot one in your third from last pic.

So there is! :roll: :lol:
dogplodder

Postby shredder » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:48 pm

A fine day's walking and good to see the grandson enjoying it. That was a long trek for the young lad - will he go out with you again I wonder? :lol:
shredder
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:22

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:38 pm

shredder wrote:A fine day's walking and good to see the grandson enjoying it. That was a long trek for the young lad - will he go out with you again I wonder? :lol:

Good question. He did go out with me again, but nothing quite as long. :wink:

Reading this, what I'm concerned about is the bad hay fever reaction I had that day and the struggle it was driving home with streaming eyes. Moira and I are heading this way on Saturday (almost the same date) and I've elected to drive so the dog can come. Is this a wise decision given that I had a bad allergic reaction a few days ago? :o

A local GP says there's been an explosion of bad hay fever in past two weeks and thinks it's due to the clean air and the pollen not having pollutant particles to attach to making it sink, meaning there's more of it floating about. Maybe I should leave the dog and let Moira drive. :think:
dogplodder

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:03 am

It's interesting to read about the hay fever type problem you had. I've never had a problem with hay fever but about 6 years ago after a couple of days on Jura, we were waiting for about 2 hours for the ferry in Port Askaig on Islay to get back to the mainland. I'd never had it before but I got the same thing you mention with eyes streaming. We were sitting in the beer garden, unfortunately I was driving and the other 2 were drinking. Anyway the condition got worse with sneezing and eyes streaming for 2 hours on the ferry. A woman in the supermarket in Oban sorted me out with some stuff which fixed it within about half an hour. Unfortunately I cant remember what it was. :roll:
It hasn't happened since and I've always wondered what caused it. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby tweedledog » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:59 am

It is quite bad this year I'm afraid - the hay fever and everything else! I have what the medics like to refer to as perennial allergic rhinitis, which means a degree of hay fever all year, though much worse at some periods. But right now I'm snivelling and the eyes are sore. I find that mometasone furoate nasal spray does help with the snivelling but, as you say, eye drops only work for a while. Have you tried an antihistamine like cetirizine hydrochloride? Widely available and non-sleep inducing.
Good luck with the walk. it would be a shame not to take Keira...
tweedledog
Wanderer

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland