walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Camping near Luibeg Bridge

Camping near Luibeg Bridge

Postby paulG2 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:34 am

Hi I am considering cycling in from Linn of Dee tonight to Luibeg Bridge, and wild camping there in preparation for doing the 4 Cairn Toul Munros the next day. I have only been in this area once and I was wondering if there are spots you could wild camp, perhaps next to the river ? I don't want to cycle there and its all 'tussochy' have a rubbish night and be tired for such a big trip.

Anyway, cheers in advance
paulG2
Munro compleatist

Munros:172   Corbetts:25
Fionas:1   Donalds:9

Re: Camping near Luibeg Bridge

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:11 am

Not much immediately beside the bridge, although I've seen tents pitched on the south side. Far better plan is to cycle in to Derry Lodge where you can either use Bob Scott's Bothy or camp just past the Lodge by the side of the Derry Burn. Lots of flat spots there.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby jmarkb » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:16 am

The immediate vicinity of the bridge is not a good spot - all slopey and heathery: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3748673
I think Cairngormwanderer is correct: I'm not sure it's worth going much beyond Derry Lodge, which has plenty of good pitches. If I recall correctly, the ease of cycling deteriorates soon after the Lodge in any case.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Ben Nachie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:43 pm

I agree with the above. Best to camp and leave the bike at Derry Lodge.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:51 pm

We found a nice spot beneath some pines to the left of the path maybe about a third of the way from Derry Lodge to Luibeg but didn't have the bikes with us on that occasion. I think you'd have to push them much of the way or leave them and carry on on foot..
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:22 pm

If taking the bike in that direction I always take it as far as the Luibeg burn. There is a boggy section just after Derry Lodge but it is short lived, after that the track is a bit rougher with some drainage ditches but it is fairly straightforward cycling (I'm no cycling expert)
I do agree the camping options are far better at Derry Lodge, or have you thought about camping or staying at the bothy at Corrour making the next day even shorter.
If walking it only takes me about 2 hours to walk from Linn of Dee to the Luibeg burn but it's the way back where the bike is the big advantage with the cycle out from Luibeg to Linn of Dee a breeze compared to the long walk.
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby paulG2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks all for your responses. I think i will just camp at Derry Lodge which is a really nice spot. I have changed the trip to mid week to miss out the weekend traffic. Thanks again
paulG2
Munro compleatist

Munros:172   Corbetts:25
Fionas:1   Donalds:9

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion