walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Arrochar Massif - post-work speed round

The Arrochar Massif - post-work speed round

Postby Jaxter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:38 pm

Route description: Beinn Luibhean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn ÃŒme, Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Luibhean, The Cobbler

Date walked: 25/08/2018

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 14.46 km

Ascent: 1637m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was back to reality with a bump this week - not only back to school but also working Saturday :shock: However, at least it was a Saturday morning’s work in Helensburgh which meant escaping up to the Arrochar Alps for the afternoon 8)

I headed up towards the Rest and Be Thankful, missed the intended layby and parked 50m further up the road. Boots on (old boots as I still hadn’t broken in the new ones :roll: ) and I headed straight uphill. Initially it was a horrible ascent – very steep, long grass, tussocks, bracken, those weird fuzzy bobbles that stick to you :roll: And then I had to climb a barbed wire fence and ended up in a burn. So much for it being dry :lol:

The steep climb gave good views of Beinn an Lochain

Once above the bracken it became easier walking - still crazy steep but at least I wasn’t adding any more mountain to the inside of my boots :roll:

Once on the ridge I was exposed to the wind; nothing compared to what must have been at least 50mph on Beinn a’ Ghlo last weekend but enough to feel a bit chilly :crazy: It was a simple pathless wander to the summit of Beinn Luibhean where the views opened out nicely 8)

Beinn Narnain and the Cobbler

The Brack and Cnoc Coinnich

Loch Restil and Beinn an Lochain

Cruachan, my nemesis, in the background

Towards Ben Lui and the Bridge of Orchy hills

Next target – Beinn Ime

I think this may be looking towards Arran

The Paps of Jura in the distance

Ben Donich

Beinn Luibhean cairn and Ben Donich

Once stopped it was chilly in the wind so wasn’t really hanging around weather. That was fine with me as I had one of my sort of open ended routes where I could keep going as long as I wanted :lol:

I headed back down the ridge a short way before heading North towards bealach a’ Mhargaidh. There was nothing difficult but some of the wet grass on steep slopes had me taking a lot more cre than usual as I was very aware of the lack of grip on my boots – I have my new boots on in the house as I type this :lol:

Narnain and the Cobbler from the bealach

I’d picked up my assault route on Ime as I’d descended and it was much easier than I’d thought it would be. I guess a summer of wading through a lot of heather has made short grass and rocks seem like a doddle :lol:

Looking back – as I gained height I could see over tiny little Beinn Luibhean towards Beinn an Lochain

I picked up the motorway (the usual ascent route) a few metres from the summit, along with hunners of people! A couple of minutes later I was on the summit of Beinn Ime 8)

Beinn Narnain and Ben Lomond

Ben Vane – steep bugger :crazy: The last time I’d been up Beinn Ime I’d come over Ben Vane; not a good idea as it turned out :lol:

Looking back to Cruachan – if anything the visibility was getting better 8)

North to Tyndrum and towards Glencoe

Beinn Ime summit pose

Beinn Luibhean, Beinn an Lochain and Loch Fyne

Again it was quite windy so after soaking up the views for as long as I could without adding more layers I headed off back down the motorway

Loch Arklet and Loch Katrine

On an actual path for the first time today made for some easy walking – a nice treat for now!

The Cobbler

Beinn Narnain ahead

As I approached bealach a’ mhaim it got a lot more soggy underfoot and the big holes in my boots started to let water in…

I headed off piste up Narnain through bog, heading for the obvious path. Looking back to Ime I could see the impressive cliffs

Looking down Coire Croe

Soon enough I met with the path which made for easier walking although it was still steep going :shock: The last time I’d come up here had been in arctic conditions so it was definitely easier on this occasion :lol:

As I gained height I could see down to Loch Long – it really was a stunning afternoon 8)

A short climb later and I was on the summit of Beinn Narnain! Less icy cold, less wind and blizzard and less catching crampons and face-planting than last time :lol:

The Spearhead with Loch Lomond and Ben Lomond

Looking down Loch Long to the Firth of Clyde

Looking at the Cobbler – should I go for number 4?

The Beinn Narnain Trig and Beinn Ime

Towards the Bridge of Orchy hills

Glencoe and Fort William – Ben Nevis on the horizon

Ben Nevis

Loch Katrine and Ben Vorlich in the distance

The Brack, Loch Long and the Luss grahams

This took a couple of attempts :lol:

It had taken me 3 hours to this point so I reckoned I might as well head up the Cobbler too :roll: I set off back down the path and spotted these big white bags of rocks – clearly there was going to be more path-building around here :thumbup:

The Cobbler

I followed the new path which led me down almost opposite the path leading up the Cobbler – all these paths made for very easy walking 8) It was an easy (but steep) climb up before the final climb to the summit.

As I reached the summit I was surprised to bump into Ben and Kirsty who had been climbing on the North Summit 8)

I wasn't sure if I'd go up top but my boots seemed to give me enough grip on the rocks so I could hardly resist 8)

Cobbler selfie 8)

Looking over the Beinn Narnain

The Brack and Loch Long

Beinn Ime

Beinn Luibhean and Beinn Ime

It turned out that Kirsty and Ben were parked at the same place as I was so we headed back into the corrie before following a vague path down. It was slippery underfoot and care was required :lol: At the dam we picked up a much better path along the right hand side of the burn that they had spotted too late on their way up :lol:

This looked like a great waterslide 8)

The Brack

We made it past the cows unscathed before crossing the bridge into the car park that I had missed earlier :roll:

All I had was a couple of metres up the road to my car and a leisurely drive home. Cracking wee afternoon out on some great hills 8)

Arrochar massif.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: The Arrochar Massif - post-work speed round

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:52 pm

ahh the starfish route !

nice one and some great photos , must have been a joy !
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby iainR » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Great report, love those hills and Beinn Luibhean certainly is a workout from the roadside !
iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Postby malky_c » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:59 pm

Nice one - it's a great (not so) little round :) .Glad to see you finally got a proper Cobbler summit photo :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Jaxter » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:51 am

tomyboy73 wrote:ahh the starfish route !

nice one and some great photos , must have been a joy !

I had a good laugh when I saw the shape of the track afterwards :lol: :lol:

iainR wrote:Great report, love those hills and Beinn Luibhean certainly is a workout from the roadside !

Cheers - at least it gets you up quickly! :roll:

malky_c wrote:Nice one - it's a great (not so) little round :) .Glad to see you finally got a proper Cobbler summit photo :lol:

Nae excuses with a friend there to take the photo :lol: dead easy after the Pinn though :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:05 pm

Hmm. My idea of a post short-day-at-work walk was a 3 mile trail along a fairly boring Forestry Commission trail. I may have to up my game.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:11 pm

Nice one - some brilliant pics there. :thumbup:

Lucky you to be able to do this in an afternoon after work ... :sick:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:08 am

Mal Grey wrote:Hmm. My idea of a post short-day-at-work walk was a 3 mile trail along a fairly boring Forestry Commission trail. I may have to up my game.

:lol: :lol: :lol: well I knew that Sunday was going to be horrible so figured I would make the most of the weather 8)

Alteknacker wrote:Nice one - some brilliant pics there. :thumbup:

Lucky you to be able to do this in an afternoon after work ... :sick:

Thanks, yes Arrochar is a great spot to have on the doorstep, it’s an awesome area 8) 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:26 pm

Jackie
Great walk and pics - but I'm afraid you've been outdone - you're going to have to up your game - though I don't think you should do this on the top of the cobbler :lol: :lol:
From Today's New York Times (03/09/2018) - six years, four sore feet, 2650 miles
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:09 pm

No Jackie don't up your game! Your poses are great as they are! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:38 am

dogplodder wrote:No Jackie don't up your game! Your poses are great as they are! :lol:

Only joking Dogplodder :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Jaxter » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:17 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Jackie
Great walk and pics - but I'm afraid you've been outdone - you're going to have to up your game - though I don't think you should do this on the top of the cobbler :lol: :lol:
From Today's New York Times (03/09/2018) - six years, four sore feet, 2650 miles

Yikes....the bar has been raised :lol: :lol: I definitely don't have the balance for that. Its bad enough nearly falling off trig points. Now that would be an embarrasing mountain rescue call :shock:

dogplodder wrote:No Jackie don't up your game! Your poses are great as they are! :lol:

Thank you dogplodder! 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby MartinMC » Sun May 26, 2019 3:28 pm

That’s an amazing time for the round. Well done. My son and I did the same in the opposite direction last Wednesday and we took 8 hours. I must say however we weren’t hill fit and did stop quite a bit, but even so. I also think our finishing on Beinn Luibhean may have been a mistake, as the climb from Beinn Ime and descent to the car was punishing after a long day. Great pictures by you too.
MartinMC
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:24   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:8

Postby Jaxter » Mon May 27, 2019 11:08 am

MartinMC wrote:That’s an amazing time for the round. Well done. My son and I did the same in the opposite direction last Wednesday and we took 8 hours. I must say however we weren’t hill fit and did stop quite a bit, but even so. I also think our finishing on Beinn Luibhean may have been a mistake, as the climb from Beinn Ime and descent to the car was punishing after a long day. Great pictures by you too.

Wow this takes me back! I thought it better to get the steep pathless stuff out the way first,paid off I think as it was all gloriously easy paths after that :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland