walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cul Beag slog

Cul Beag slog

Postby denfinella » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:26 pm

Route description: Cùl Beag

Corbetts included on this walk: Cùl Beag

Date walked: 27/08/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 730m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Time for one last hill on our last day based in Ullapool. MWIS was pessimistic about the chances of any sunshine today, but the mainstream forecasts suggested blue skies until early afternoon, so we opted for a shorter walk up Cul Beag. We'd admired the hill's western face from the road into Coigach earlier in the week:

1.jpg

This side was clearly very steep, so we followed the WH route up from the A-road on the east side instead - this also tied in better with our plans for afterwards.

Cul Beag.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The route's a standard out-and-back route pretty much in a straight line to the summit, but it's mostly pathless and underfoot conditions were awkward in places, even after our dry summer this year - not so much due to bog (though there was some of that), but more due to long vegetation and tussocks. At first you can follow the old road and then a track across the moor, so enjoy it while you can...

2.jpg

The track passes around the foot of Lochan Fada (or through it even, but we didn't follow that part! :lol: )...

3.jpg

Several hundred metres later, the track turns right and a path heads straight on towards Cul Beag.

4.jpg

The path soon fades at the foot of the small crag in the centre of the photo above. The next section along the fence is very boggy, so it's easier to stick to the top of the crag at first, then descend to cross the fence where it turns a corner. It's mostly pathless from here onwards, but thankfully the boggiest bits are soon behind. Odd areas of rock can be threaded together in places to make progress easier. There are a few faint sections of path, but you can't really see them from below - we had more success in following them on return.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

After what seemed like ages (though was probably only an hour after leaving the path) we reached the foot of Meall Dearg, where the gradient steepens considerably. There's still no path :lol: but there were great views north to Cul Mor:

8.jpg

The summit of Meall Dearg at 657 metres has fantastic views into Assynt, though Suilven was hidden behind Cul Mor for now.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Cul Beag itself ahead, Stac Pollaidh sitting pretty behind it:

11.jpg

Descent and reascent via Lochan Uaine:

12.jpg

Looking south to (I think) Ben More Coigach:

13.jpg

Getting up to Cul Mor is helped by natural steps in the slope. Looking back from near the top:

14.jpg

Summit at last!

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

On the way down we contoured the southern slopes of Meall Dearg instead of going back over it. This was a bit awkward and probably didn't save any time, though we did see a couple of lizards and lots of frogs.

18.jpg

Skies turned largely cloudy from this point onwards, but we were only retracing our steps by now anyway. Back to the car in 4.5 hours, though it felt longer. Tougher than expected this morning, but well worth it :D

<< previous day: Sgurr nan Clach Geala
>> afternoon: Knockan Crag
Last edited by denfinella on Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Cul Beag slog

Postby dogplodder » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:35 pm

What brilliant greens and blues! I also traversed round Meall Dearg on the return and got round more quickly than Moira going back over it but the trouble was finding her as she came down further round to the north. That's when mobile phones come in handy! 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby litljortindan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:31 pm

I really like this hill but have only been up from the south so would like to try this route and those views look good, enough to compensate for the rough ground.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby AlisonJ25 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:36 pm

We contoured round on the way back but seeing as we were there the first week in June the ground was really dry. The top is a fantastic view point but I wouldn't want to do this one when the ground was really wet
AlisonJ25

Munros:87   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby denfinella » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:30 pm

dogplodder wrote:What brilliant greens and blues! I also traversed round Meall Dearg on the return and got round more quickly than Moira going back over it but the trouble was finding her as she came down further round to the north. That's when mobile phones come in handy! 8)

Thanks dogplodder. Glad you found each other eventually (I assume anyway)!

litljortindan wrote:I really like this hill but have only been up from the south so would like to try this route and those views look good, enough to compensate for the rough ground.

Whereas I'm now thinking of trying it from the south side! :lol:

AlisonJ25 wrote:We contoured round on the way back but seeing as we were there the first week in June the ground was really dry. The top is a fantastic view point but I wouldn't want to do this one when the ground was really wet

I agree - it was still fairly dry when we did it but I wouldn't have wanted to be there after rain...
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland