walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Starav 5

Ben Starav 5

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr, Meall nan Eun, Stob Coir an Albannaich

Date walked: 25/08/2018

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 27.6 km

Ascent: 2752m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Up to Scotland for two days over the Bank Holiday and with the Saturday being forecast fine I thought we'd target Ben Starav and maybe get three or even five Munro's done.

Wonderful group of hills these (especially Starav) with some big climbs and some very rough descents and very fine (if cold for August) weather to do them in.

1 Starav.JPG
Ben Starav

2 Looking back - Glen etive.jpg
Looking back up Glen Etive - it's already promising to be a good day

3 Munro 3.JPG
Glas Bheinn Mhor from the climb to Starav

4 Glencoe Hills from climb up.JPG
The Glencoe hills from the climb to Starav - the initial climb is a big one as it all needs to be tackled from sea level.

4 Starav again.JPG
Ben Starav getting closer

5 Final climb Starav.JPG
The final climb now ahead to Ben Starav

6 Me Starav.JPG
Me on the summit admiring the view down Loch Etive but also thinking about putting another layer on!

7 Ridge to 3 and 4.JPG
The ridge ahead to Glas Bheinn Mhor and Stob Coir an Albannaich

8 Narrow bit.JPG
But first there is a narrow and scrambly section to tackle over to Stob Coire Dheirg

9 Back to Starav.JPG
Back to Ben Starav from Stob Coire Dheirg

10 Numbe 2.JPG
Beinn nan Aighenan in view. This isn't on the ridge and it's necessary to drop down from the main ridge to a lower saddle before tackling this climb. You've then got to retrace your steps back to where you were.

Time consuming stuff but seems a worthwhile purpose as there looks no real easy way to get to this hill.

11 Will Starav behind.JPG
Will on Beinn nan Aighenan with Ben Starav and the main ridge behind

12 Dan Cruachan behind.JPG
Dan on Beinn nan Aighenan with the magnificent Ben Cruachan behind

13 3 ahead.JPG
Back on the main ridge now (I did cut the corner off slightly) and looking at Glas Bheinn Mhor from Meall nan Tri Tighearnan

14 4 from 3.JPG
Stob Coir an Albannaich from Glas Bheinn Mhor. We had plenty of time after the early start so decided to go for the five.

15 Starav from 3.JPG
Ben Starav again from Glas Bheinn Mhor. Starav is definitely the daddy of this group.

16 3 and Starav from 4.JPG
Glas Bheinn Mhor and Ben Starav from Stob Coir an Albannaich.

It's a big descent from Glas Bheinn Mhor followed by an initial steep climb until the slopes ease closer to the summit

17 5 and beyond f rom 4.JPG
Meall nan Eun and beyond from Stob Coir an Albannaich

18 Nearly at 5.JPG
After a tricky descent (locate the cairn!) from Stob Coir an Albannaich and short climb to Meall Tarsuinn, Meall nan Eun is in view

19 5 summit.JPG
Meall nan Eun is probably the least interesting hill of these five but it does afford a brilliant view from the cairn

20 hills climbed from 5.JPG
Some of the hills climbed today from Meall nan Eun

21 Glenn out.JPG
Our walk out - Glen Ceitlein

22 Back to 5.JPG
Looking back at Meall nan Eun from Glen Ceitlein.

We went a bit wrong from the top of Meall nan Euan and dropped down into the Lairig Dhochard before dropping down into Glen Ceitlein.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer and both ways involve care to negotiate crags.

23 Starav again.JPG
Eventually you hit a track which winds round back to the start point with magnificent Starav in view again
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Ben Starav 5

Postby Coop » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:01 pm

I'll say it again.
" respect to all who do these 5 in one go.
My legs almost buckled going up to Glas Bheinn Mhor
:clap:
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland