walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Eighe - should be one of your 5 a lifetime

Beinn Eighe - should be one of your 5 a lifetime

Postby kevsbald » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:51 pm

Route description: Beinn Eighe (western summits)

Munros included on this walk: Ruadh-stac Mòr (Beinn Eighe), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe)

Date walked: 31/08/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 19.8 km

Ascent: 1162m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As my wee daughter grows, it becomes easier to get time away and re-acquaint myself with old friends i.e. the Munros. The last 3 years have seen the Munros take a back seat, while I watch the wee one become an impudent, loveable rogue. And so it was, I had the full day to explore Torridon and my target for the day, Being Eighe. I arrived at the car park directly below the first summit of the day. I spoke to a Danish family over on holiday who were mesmerised by the majesty of the surroundings - easy to see when the highest hill in Denmark is a towering 175m. It was glorious with a wee wind to keep the insects awa'. I was going light and started the walk on to the excellent path. As I climbed higher, the North-facing corries started to creep into view at the far Eastern end. Within 45 minutes, I was standing at the first cairn, having caught up with a couple of German damen. We looked South and saw a couple of stags along the ridge - I had never seen deer so high - perhaps 850m up? I showed the girls the way over the hill if they chose (they had no map) and sensibly they retreated the way back down.
WH1.JPG
The German damen

I fairly steamed up to the main ridge proper and was absolutely blown away by the surroundings West, North and East. From the cairn, the view was probably one of the best I have encountered on a hill.
WH2.JPG
Carlsbery moment...to Liathach and beyond
WH3.JPG
From Munro summit to the East
WH4a.JPG
To the 2nd objective of the day

I headed along to the main summit and relished the airiness. I didn't hang about and returned to my original perch before then beginning the descent and along to the next part of the day. I spied the small cairn showing the way down to the Lochain for later and then headed up and along to the 2nd Munro of the day.
WH4b.JPG
View down to the lochain
I passed an English couple along the way and once again stood at one of Beinn Eighe Munro summits, blown away. The view across Torridon to the vast landscape was sublime.
WH6.JPG
Summit cairn with Torridon hills in distance
WH7.JPG
For another day...

I returned reluctantly to head down and eventually get back to the scree chute, which by keeping to the right, was relatively straightforward. The walk back along the lochain was peaceful and what an amphitheatre it is, with the Triple Buttress at the back.
WH8.JPG
Triple buttress across the lovely lochain
From here, the walk became a run back along the excellent path and to the road, where I had a final jog back to the car. Without doubt this should be one of your five in a lifetime. Hard to think of a better day in all honesty. Simply magic.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Beinn Eighe - should be one of your 5 a lifetime

Postby Graeme D » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:19 pm

Wunderbar! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:29 am

Wow.............one of these days I must point the car towards Torridon.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:10 am

Beinn Eighe is always a pleasure :D though I always preferred going up rather than down the shute. It's even better in winter. One of your 5 a day, counts even when frozen :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby kevsbald » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks folks. I'll need to come back and try it in Winter, must be majestic, even just to return to tranquil lochain.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:36 am

Good to see you back in style after the 3 year paternity break! Maybe it's not too long before you'll be taking her along with you? :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland