walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Avoiding the Crowds in Langdale

Avoiding the Crowds in Langdale

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:55 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Cold Pike, Lingmoor Fell, Pike o'Blisco

Hewitts included on this walk: Cold Pike, Pike of Blisco

Date walked: 23/06/2018

Time taken: 7.75

Distance: 18.9 km

Ascent: 1438m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This walk seems like an age ago now, probably because it was. :shock: I've not been out since due to a holiday to New York/Toronto and some work that needed doing in the house. As I'm hoping to get out this weekend sometime I thought I'd catch up with this report. ( I did get out on that weekend but still didn't finish this report till now)

The plan for the day was to clean up the fells and tops in the Southern part of Langdale, the Wainwrights for round two and the other assorted tops I hadn't previously visited. The problem with linking the three most southerly Wainrights of Langdale is the relative isolation of Lingmoor Fell meaning a large chunk of the height gained in climbing it would be lost to get to Pike O'Blisco, still an early start ment I had all day so could take my time.

I parked up at the National Trust CP on an overcast but promising morning and set off through the camp site with Hughie in tow for the first target of the day.

ImageA little sunlight on Blea Rigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMist on Bow Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Side Pike is a fine top with minor scrambles both up and down provideding some early morning entertainment. Before I knew it I was removing my pack to slide through the squeeze and make my way up Lingmoor fell.

ImageThe Langdales by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Imagelooking up Mickleden by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The tight squeeze by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBack towards Side Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBlea Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAlong the wall to the Langdales by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLingmoor Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I arrived at the summit of Lingmoor and had breakfast, it had been a fine start to the day with nobody else about, and this continued as I made my way back downhill towards the Blea Tarn road.

ImageLingmoor Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWindermere from Lingmoor fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie on Lingmoor Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Crinkles and Bow Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLangdales from the top of the descent to the road by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The spell was broken as I descended the last few meters with the noise of complaining children emanating from a passing car :roll: I was soon off the road and heading up a vague path when I turned at this point to see a large group of walkers ascending Side Pike, so glad I set off early to avoid this gaggle heading to the top of the diminutive fell, Imagine getting stuck in a queue to pass through the squeeze :shock:
As we gained height a trod was discovered which I followed for a while until it became obvious it was heading fro the main path up Blisco. I didn't fancy this and as the Birkett of Blake Rigg was my next target I headed off a broad green gully towards the low crags of Bleaberry Knott.

Side Pike from the Road by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCrowds setting off up Side Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBlea Tarn House by Anthony Young, on Flickr

A short scramble (probably unnecessary in truth) got me to the top of Bleaberry Knott enabling a easy wander to Blake Rigg for a few minutes sit and a snack. Blake Rigg is well worth a visit, away from the crowds and with some fine views it more than holds its own with some tops with their own chapter in the guides.

ImageCairn on Bleaberry Knott by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back to Bleaberry Knott by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePike O'Blisco from Blake Rigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie Larking about by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie Still Larking about by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The next target of Wrynose Fell or Long Crag if you prefer, did not look as promising as I could see no particularly individual top between Blake Rigg and Pike O'Blisco but set off to find it nevertheless. Once located it was indeed a bit Meh so on we went to join the main route up Blisco. Here other walkers were finally encountered at close quarters including a couple gingerly manhandling a crag fast Labrador down one of the small scrambles on the path, Hughie's diminutive stature certainly has it's plus points. :)

ImageThe Coniston Hills from somewhere on Wrynose Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLangdales and a boggy tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageConiston Fells from Long Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLong Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back along Greater Langdale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePike O'Blisco summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

We didn't linger long on Pike O'Blisco and set of on the now relatively busy path towards Cold Pike. Another large amount of height is lost between these two fells so I was fairly tired when I trudged the last few yards to the final Wainwright of the day. A want for a bit of solitude ment that I didn't have a rest but headed off towards the other two far less visited tops of Cold Pike which are Nuttals. (2000ft+ and 15m (50ft) of drop)

ImageThe Langdales from the top of Browney Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Crinkles from Cold Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back to Cold Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCold Pike West Top by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCold Pike Far West Top by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Turns out these other two tops which are surprisingly not on Birketts supposedly exhaustive list, were worth a visit and we had a rest on the Far West Top to enjoy the views and solitude. The ups and downs were not over however because across Gatiscale Gill lay Little Stand. Little Stand often makes lists of best tops not to receive there own chapter and this fascinating top with wonderful views in most directions (including a great view of the Scafells) lived up to its billing. The view back to Cold Pike was also nice revealing a hidden and no doubt seldom visited tarn and giving a view to the true nature of the fell not seen from the usual view points.

ImageCold Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageScafells from Little Stand by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageA Little Rest on Little Stand by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLittle Stand by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAcross Eskdale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Almost all the ascent had now been done with only a couple of Birketts left to visit, the first Stonesty Pike was nothing more than a collection of boulders, a cairn and the view to the 'back' of the Crinkles and the final top, Great Knott being just off the main path but worth a visit as it provided nice views.

ImageStonesty Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCrinkle Crags from Great Knott by Anthony Young, on Flickr

A final tally of eleven tops of various categorisations for the day was most satisfying with most visited at a time when we had them to ourselves (Hughie however prefers when other people are about so he can attempt to scrounge some rations :wink: ) as was the fact that as we were on our way down most of the other walkers out on this day were being challenged by some passing clag on the higher tops. It was a relatively quite walk back down to the car to end a fine summers day out around Langdale largely away from the crowds.

ImageClag coming in by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Follow the Red Brick Road by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Southern Langdale.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Avoiding the Crowds in Langdale

Postby trailmasher » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:16 pm

Nice one Anthony, good walk, report and photos to match :clap: I did this lot on a hot day in July 2016 and stuffed in the Crinkles with the long drop off from Ore Gap to the ODG making for weary feet :crazy: :roll:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Avoiding the Crowds in Langdale

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:32 pm

trailmasher wrote:Nice one Anthony, good walk, report and photos to match :clap: I did this lot on a hot day in July 2016 and stuffed in the Crinkles with the long drop off from Ore Gap to the ODG making for weary feet :crazy: :roll:

Thanks TM. The Crinkles were very tempting but as I was low on water (as were the fells TBH) I thought it best to beat a retreat to the car, not as if it's going anywhere.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland