walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seana Braigh, worth the walk!

Seana Braigh, worth the walk!

Postby mrssanta » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:27 pm

Munros included on this walk: Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 28/08/2018

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 690m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

so here we are perched on a ledge at 750metres looking out to Seana Braigh over the deep trench of Cadha Dearg. When we went to bed the night before it had been still and midgy, In the morning there was a nice breeze as forecast.
P8272403 (Custom).JPG
Here's me at camp on Monday night with my midge net on

The weather was set to be good in the morning but deteriorating with rain later so we wanted to get going nice and early. Because of the wind we struck camp and hid the camping equipment behind a rock. We got going before 8am which is quite amazing for us.
P8282406 (Custom).JPG
From our camp we headed down to the lochans, passing with them on our left.

I couldn't manage much breakfast and we decided that the plan for today was for me to eat something (a few nuts or a sweet or a bite of Geobar) every 15 minutes, which did help.

Seana Braigh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This area is quite complex and lumpy with lochans and cliffs and we were pleased to be able to see where we were going as there is not much of a path.
P8282407 (Custom).JPG
Going past the lochans.

P8282408 (Custom).JPG
Impressive cliffs opposite

P8282409 (Custom).JPG
ooh it's a long way down

P8282410 (Custom).JPG
ooh it's still a long way down

P8282411 (Custom).JPG
Looking down Gleann a'Cheadha Dheirg towards Ben More Coigach in the far distance

We found traces of path here and there, until we reached pt.685 after which there was a good path for a half-mile or so before it petered out again on the way up past Gate of Ca' Dearg.
P8282412 (Custom).JPG
looking back the way we had come towards our camp place

P8282413 (Custom).JPG
cona' mheall appearing over the moor

P8282414 (Custom).JPG
Am Faochagach

P8282415 (Custom).JPG
poorly stitched pano with am Faochagach, Cona'Mheall and Beinn Dearg with its head still in the cloud

We skirted the intermediate summit and arrived on the top of Seana Braigh just after 9.30am.
It was quite chilly and breezy on top but we stopped in the summit shelter for a brew. We forgot to take pictures of ourselves but the views were tremendous, bit hazy for photos but very extensive.
P8282416 (Custom).JPG
Looking towards Assynt with the distinctive shape of Suilven on the right, Stac Pollaidh on the left, and Cul Mor and Beag in between (I think)

P8282417 (Custom).JPG
An Teallach, bit hazy

P8282418 (Custom).JPG
Creag an Duine

So then we pretty much retraced our steps to our stuff, and then the long walk out across the moor to Inverlael. That was an excellent path all the way, and I am very pleased we didn't walk it both ways in one day!
P8282419 (Custom).JPG
From the slopes of Seana Braigh, with Cadha Dearg and its cliffs, then behind that our camp, and in the far distance Beinn Dearg with its hat on, Meall nan Ceapraichean, Eididh nan Clach Geala in front of that, and our path goes off the right in the middle distance in front of the cliffs you can see on the right

P8282420 (Custom).JPG
lochan with cotton grass

P8282421 (Custom).JPG
different view of same lochan - I'm a bit short of pictures!

P8282422 (Custom).JPG
amazing orange bog grass

P8282423 (Custom).JPG
Bonny waterfall on Allt Gleann a'Mhadaidh

P8282424 (Custom).JPG
Fording Allt Gleann a'Mhadaidh, a substantial burn. I think this is a ford for feet not vehicles!

The weather as promised deteriorated with the rain starting as we walked alongside the Allt an Lochan Sgeirich.
We got back to the car around 3pm and really didn't feel like another rainy night in a tent; fortunately we were able to find a bed for the night in Ullapool to get freshened up and rested before the next day's adventures. More of that anon.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Seana Braigh, worth the walk!

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:50 am

Shame about the weather. Good to see you included Am Faochagach in your circuit - I chickened out of that earlier in the year but it did look interesting from the top of Cona' Mheall. That quartz cluster on Ceapraichean is quite striking, had me wondering too.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby mrssanta » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:15 pm

weaselmaster wrote:Shame about the weather. Good to see you included Am Faochagach in your circuit - I chickened out of that earlier in the year but it did look interesting from the top of Cona' Mheall. That quartz cluster on Ceapraichean is quite striking, had me wondering too.

we decided perhaps it was a fossilized whale not a lump of quartz!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:02 pm

Not getting off until 08.00!!!! :shock: For shame. I bet the mugs weren't smiling....

Yep, I definitely need to get up among these....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Coop » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Like reading about Seana Braigh
May be on this in about 3 or 4 years time :D . Contemplating leaving it for 282.
We'll see.
Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:38 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Not getting off until 08.00!!!! :shock: For shame. I bet the mugs weren't smiling....

Yep, I definitely need to get up among these....

I am not a morning person. I need tea before I can do anything! :)
Coop wrote:Like reading about Seana Braigh
May be on this in about 3 or 4 years time :D . Contemplating leaving it for 282.
We'll see.
Cheers

Another one to go back to on a lovely day I think.
Will you camp as well?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland