walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

School’s out - Le Tour de Torridon

School’s out - Le Tour de Torridon

Postby Jaxter » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:42 am

Route description: Beinn Eighe (western summits)

Munros included on this walk: Ruadh-stac Mòr (Beinn Eighe), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe)

Date walked: 01/07/2018

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 20.57 km

Ascent: 1276m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After almost 2 weeks away on tour I was finally on holiday and the good weather seemed to be hanging on for a bit longer :thumbup: I threw things in my car and was just getting ready for sleep and an early start….when I realised I’d left the freezer door partly open and it wouldn’t close until I’d defrosted it :roll:

I finally got to bed at 4am, got about 4 hours sleep and then headed for Shieldaig :roll:

Sunday 1st July 2018 – Bealach na Ba
73.14km
1398m ascent
4 hours 30 mins

I set off from Shieldaig on a challenge; not the longest but certainly the hardest ride I’d ever attempted. Failure wasn’t really an option…. :lol:

I headed clockwise which I’ve heard since is the harder way around :roll: But I couldn’t imagine going any other way – I wanted to cycle up that glen and up the zig zags. It just had to be done!

Applecross Corbetts

:shock: :shock:

The real up was starting… :crazy:

Looking back to Lochcarron

Unfortunately I was cycling into the only cloud in Scotland :lol:

Looking back

Up, up, up, up….until finally :clap: 8)

A kind Indian family took my photo (they also thought I was completely insane and insisted on getting their photo with the mad lassie who cycled up a mountain :lol: )

I hung around a bit but there was no chance of it clearing :roll: and also it was getting on in the day as I’d had such a late start :lol:

I’d thought that the hardest part was over, but the coast road from Applecross back to Shieldaig was really tough, made worse by the headwind :lol:

Beach at Applecross

But back at Shieldaig I’d done it :clap: :clap: I’ll go back again for the views, but for now it was time for a shower and finding somewhere to camp before I slept very very well :lol:

Bealach na ba.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Monday 2nd July 2018 – Beinn Eighe
20.57km
1276m ascent
9 hours 5 mins

The next morning I woke up feeling pretty good. It was a stunning morning and I had to get up something….feeling lazy I decided upon a return to Beinn Eighe. I could walk into Coire Mhic Fhearchair and carry on if I could be bothered :roll:

Heading up the path I looked back to the two Corbetts opposite – Sgorr Dubh & Sgurr nan Lochain Uaine

The river crossing wasn’t an issue :lol:

Eyeing up Beinn Dearg – unfinished business there!

Striking Liathach looking completely unassailable

Baosbheinn and Beinn an Eoin

It was really hot so I had to keep stopping to put more suncream on – would be a shame to get sunburnt so early on in the holiday 8)

Rounding the cornet of Sail Mor I could see the impressive slabs leading up to Coire Mhic Fhearchair…excitement was mounting 8)

However it was so warm I decided to stop for a break, and to top up my water supplies as there would be nothing on the ridge :thumbup:

After a while I figured I ought to get going….and it was up, up, up and…..

This place blows me away every time 8)

Looking back across Coire Mhic Fhearchair

I followed the path around the lochan before cutting uphill

It was so still that there were a few midges buzzing about :shock: but I also managed to creep up on some of the locals :lol:

The chute ahead

Triple Buttresses from the side

Inside the chute – I remember the first time I was here this unnerved me a little, but on this occasion I was struggling to see what the issue was :roll:

Looking back down – some day, and some place :shock: 8)

On top of the ridge I could see across the huge Coire Ruadh-staca

Coinneach Mhor, Sail Mhor and Liathach

Baosbheinn and Beinn an Eoin

Ruadh-stac Beag, Slioch and the Fisherfield

Heading towards Ruadh-stac Mor I was able to see the whole ridge including the Eastern summits

Ruadh-stac Mor

Loch Maree

Mullach an Rathain (Liathach) and Skye

Beinn Dearg and Beinn Alligin – Torridon is just awesome 8)

Reaching the summit of Ruadh-stac Mor it was time for some chill time, more sun cream and a bit of sunbathing 8)

And the big lens – An Teallach

Sgurr a’ Mhuillin – can’t wait to get up this hill

Slioch

The Fisherfield and An Teallach

Sunning myself of Ruadh-stac Mor

Next target

I really wasn’t in much of a rush 8) But eventually I headed off down the ridge

I decided to climb over Coinneach Mhor because it looked like fun

Looking down Liathach

Sgurr an Lochain Uaine, Sgorr Dubh and Beinn Damph

Along here I met the first person I’d seen all day – we were both surprised how quiet it was, but we were enjoying the weather 8)

Looking back

I made my way along the rest of the ridge before the final ascent to Spidean Coire nan Clach where the views along the eastern summits were really enticing 8)

Sgurr a’ Mhuillin

Loch Maree

Spidean Coire nan Clach summit 8)

Meall a’ Ghiuthais & Ruadh-stac Beag with Loch Maree

I sat here for ages – it was absolutely stunning and so so warm – I felt like I was melting! I was also really not looking forward to the descent :lol:

Eventually I figured I ought to get going….it was really steep as I’d remembered, but unlike the last time I’d been here it was very dry and slippery. Yes, I went flying and landed on my ass a few times.

Looking back up

South

Looking back up….

Liathach

As I got lower down the heat became more and more oppressive, and there were a few bugs around too :crazy:

Back at the road I had to walk the couple of miles back to the car. I felt quite tired by the time I was back, hardly surprising I guess but it always takes me by surprise how much the heat sucks out of you 8)

I headed up the road with a few stops at some of my favourite spots….Slioch and Loch Maree

Baosbheinn

Gairloch

Looking back to Torridon

Before I pitched my tent and settled in for the evening – watching the sun set on an amazing couple of days. And I was just getting started 8)

Part 2 - Summit camping in Assynt!

Beinn Eighe.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: School’s out - Le Tour de Torridon

Postby malky_c » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:49 pm

A perfect day out...and the stupid way up the Ba as well. A good start to the holiday 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:41 pm

Been a while since i was in Torridon so enjoyed those photos :clap: :clap:

Did you get on Beinn Resipole that while back i recognised you at the top of the hill near Strontian ?
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Jaxter » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:56 pm

malky_c wrote:A perfect day out...and the stupid way up the Ba as well. A good start to the holiday 8)

Cheers Malcy - hard work but very rewarding 8) Guess you'll have to try it that way around now :wink:

Collaciotach wrote:Been a while since i was in Torridon so enjoyed those photos :clap: :clap:

Did you get on Beinn Resipole that while back i recognised you at the top of the hill near Strontian ?

Thanks 8) 8)
I'm really behind on walk reports, that's the problem with spending the whole summer away :lol:
I've just posted that one here
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Oi! Its bad enough when you bounce over every mountain in Scotland showing up the rest of us on the "hill per day" ratio, which sometimes pretty much beats my "hill per year" one, there's no need to start riding over them on a bike too! ;) :lol:

Wonderful part of the world. Coire Mhic Fhearchair is one of the most impressive & majestic spots in the Highlands. Not that I've seen much of it from the bottom, during the time taken to huddle behind a rock on the lip in a blizzard in 1989 and drink a cup of soup, I had a cm of snow gathered on top of the oatcake that went with it! 4 hours in through waist deep snow, 4 hours out again....
Fortunately the times I've looked at it from that outstanding hill above that is Beinn Eighe, have more than made up for it.

Sounds like you had a fabulous trip.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Oi! Its bad enough when you bounce over every mountain in Scotland showing up the rest of us on the "hill per day" ratio, which sometimes pretty much beats my "hill per year" one, there's no need to start riding over them on a bike too! ;) :lol:

Wonderful part of the world. Coire Mhic Fhearchair is one of the most impressive & majestic spots in the Highlands. Not that I've seen much of it from the bottom, during the time taken to huddle behind a rock on the lip in a blizzard in 1989 and drink a cup of soup, I had a cm of snow gathered on top of the oatcake that went with it! 4 hours in through waist deep snow, 4 hours out again....
Fortunately the times I've looked at it from that outstanding hill above that is Beinn Eighe, have more than made up for it.

Sounds like you had a fabulous trip.

:lol: :lol: Guilty!
It is a wonderful place, even in less good conditions. I was there in January and the clag and snow made it feel really eerie :shock: :shock:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby courtscotties » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:38 pm

Having just completed my winter trip up Beinn Eighe you very kindly commented on my report. I can return the favour and say your photographs are amazing and now I will have to return and do it again in the summer!!
courtscotties
Backpacker

Munros:56   

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland