walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

140 Donalds in a Round...

140 Donalds in a Round...

Postby weaselmaster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:20 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Scaw'd Law

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Well Hill

Date walked: 14/09/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 13.4 km

Ascent: 810m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An update from the SMC.
This will apply to all those people currently working their way through the Donalds.

DONALDS CLARIFICATION
To clear up any confusion about what constitutes a Round of The Donalds, following some consultation it has been decided that from September 2018 Donaldists should have climbed all 89 Hills and 51 subsidiary Tops on Percy Donald’s list. This concurs with Anderson & Prentice “The Grahams & The Donalds SMC Hillwalkers Guide” (2015) (page 324) who point out that Donald’s Tables “are seen as a complete entity” unlike the Munros, Corbetts and Grahams.
The issue has been brought to light by the increasing popularity of walkers achieving “Full House” by completing all six Lists on the website smc.org.uk. Climbing all 140 Donalds ensures that they have climbed every hill listed in Bearhop’s “Munro’s Tables And Other Tables Of Lower Hills” (1997).
People who have registered but not climbed the Donald Tops will not be “deregistered” or loose their “Full House” but will no doubt wish to make up this deficiency for the sake of their conscience.

Dave Broadhead SMC Clerk of the List, August 2018.

I'm sure that a number of users of this site will have seen the SMC's statement from last month. Previously there had been some uncertainty about what actually constituted a round of Donalds, not helped by the intermediate entity of "New Donalds" as well as "Donald Tops". On WalkHighlands, it's just the 89 Donald Summits that are listed - maybe Paul needs to look at that now. Anyway, I'd decided I'd do the Donalds/New Donalds, when I was doing them first time round and claim that this was a complete round. I think I was left with about 10 Donald Tops undone - I was able to pick these off in the course of returning for Allison's Donalds, leaving me one solitary Top, Glenleith Fell. This is just a short diversion from Scaw'd Law, but on both occasions I walked these hills it was a big circuit taking in Comb Law to Queensbury and I just didn't care about nipping out to Glenleith Fell. Well, today was the time to put that right.

glenleithdurisdeer.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Allison was otherwise occupied so I headed off around 7.15am this morning with a crappy weather forecast. It was cool - the car thermometer not even creeping into double figures. Roads were fairly quiet and I got to Durisdeer within 90 minutes. An improbably narrow road, with a ford to be driven over ends at the church, where there's parking space for a few cars. I'd decided to combine Glenleith Fell with my penultimate Sim in Section 27 - Well Hill, which I didn't realise til I got home was also a Marilyn - an unexpected bonus!

Set out past the little cemetery along an estate track with sundry "Keep Out" signs (hidden underneath were the words "when shooting is taking place") Very welcoming. I couldn't hear any shooting and decided to walk along the track without being intimidated by people who get their kicks out of killing animals for fun. Sorry, "sport". The track begins to head up the shoulder of Scaw'd Law and rapid progress was made. The track heads to Wedder Law; I took the right turning that proceeds almost to the summit of Glenleith Fell. A less inspiring hilltop to finish the Donalds (oroperly) could hardly be imagined - not that the clag helped. There was a tumbledown cairn which I touched, then retraced my steps, followed the fenceline to Scaw'd Law and continued along the fence/wall to Little Scaw'd Law with the path no more than a faint sheep track, pretty wet underfoot. In places, masses of small and tiny mushrooms formed fungal constellations in the green sward.

ImageP1200579 by Al, on Flickr

Glenleith Fell - Exciting summit, yes?
ImageP1200580 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1200581 by Al, on Flickr

Looking rather startled
ImageP1200582 by Al, on Flickr

Mushroom constellations
ImageP1200583 by Al, on Flickr

From here there was a small drop then re-ascent to Durisdeer Hill before dropping down 150m or so to the Roman Road. I could make out vague outline of Well Hill before me, rising steeply for 200m, sheep populating the wet grassy slopes. I clambered up alongside the fence line to reach the summit. I had planned to continue along the hilltops to Black Hill, but the clag descended once more and the rain came on, so I returned to the Roman Road and followed this back towards the village. There is a Roman Fortlet in the valley but - not being interested in the Romans much - I decided to give that a miss. I stopped before reaching the houses to have an early lunch. Two loud dogwalkers were on the lower slopes of Wether Hill and I watched a sleek fox run from them up the side of Penbane, a burst of running followed by a pause, then another burst of running.

Durisdeer Hill to the Roman road
ImageP1200586 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1200587 by Al, on Flickr

Roman road heading to Durisdeer
ImageP1200589 by Al, on Flickr

Top of Well Hill
ImageP1200590 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1200591 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1200592 by Al, on Flickr

Back at the car the rain had stopped and blue sky made an ironic appearance. I drove back towards Elvanfoot, enjoying Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus". At Elvanfoot there's one of those electronic speed signs that states how fast you are going and gives a happy or sad face. It registered my speed as "- 0" and had a happy face. Minus zero - now there's something to mess with your brain :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: 140 Donalds in a Round...

Postby iangpark » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:21 am

I suppose a congratulations is in order WH :lol: I had seen the Donald news a few weeks ago and was fortunate that I’d decided to include the tops in my quest. Having done Glenleith Fell myself, I can also attest to its relative dreariness - particularly when much more shapely hills lie slightly to the north!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby Sick Kid » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:15 pm

Ohhhh....can’t wait to do that one... :roll:

How many times have you completed the Donald’s now? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Borderhugh » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks Al. Thats good to know. i have started dabbling with Donalds.
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:120
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:102   Islands:23

Postby PeteR » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:11 pm

I found the recent announcement about the Donalds rather annoying to be honest. I carefully chose my final Donald from the 89 for a reason. Now I will compleat fully on one of the 4 tops I have left. None of them mean a great deal to me in terms of why I'd ever chose them as my final Donald (top or otherwise). All feels like some intellectual undertaking by someone (or someones) who haven't got any friends :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:12 am

I'm familiar with a rake of Donald's , none of them hills ;)

'S math a rinn sibh a' bhalaich :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Sgurr » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:32 pm

Seemed obvious which was the wind was blowing after the SMC published their glossy book, and we only really started going for the Donalds around then, so I seem to be covered, completing earlier this year on Tarmangie . It is annoying when you think you have completed or near so and something else pops up. Two more hills have been declared to be Marilyns since we did them all bar the sea stacks. We walked over the Welsh one on the way to the one that has been demoted, but the other is in the middle of the Cape Wrath peninsula and R has done in both legs since June this year. Seems mean to leave him and do them myself, so waiting to see what happens.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:53 pm

Sgurr wrote:Seemed obvious which was the wind was blowing after the SMC published their glossy book, and we only really started going for the Donalds around then, so I seem to be covered, completing earlier this year on Tarmangie . It is annoying when you think you have completed or near so and something else pops up. Two more hills have been declared to be Marilyns since we did them all bar the sea stacks. We walked over the Welsh one on the way to the one that has been demoted, but the other is in the middle of the Cape Wrath peninsula and R has done in both legs since June this year. Seems mean to leave him and do them myself, so waiting to see what happens.

I've only myself to blame for the Donald Tops - I should just have done them at the time. As it is I have 10 to re-do for my "proper" second round of Donalds, which I suppose I will get round to in time - I think Allison needs 4 or 5 of them for her round, so wwe'll do them first.

Beinn Dearg up in Parph is a bit remote, especially if R's legs are not cooperating. Fortuitously we went over it when we were doing the round of 8 (as it was back last year) up in the Parph peninsula on the way to Creag Riabhach - quite a nice hill as I recall, but awkwardly situated if you only require it alone.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland