walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenshee 6.

Glenshee 6.

Postby Bluelungbutter » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:20 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 25/07/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 24 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Time taken 8:33 Hours

Distance Travelled 24 Km

Weather good.

Conditions stoney to bogey.

Report to follow once i've slept!!
Bluelungbutter
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Re: Glenshee 6.

Postby Alan S » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:29 pm

No time for sleeping it was only 24km,get that report done :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Bluelungbutter » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:31 pm

If i hadn't just had 5 hours sleep the night before i would have. :D

DunK
Bluelungbutter
Munro compleatist

Postby Bluelungbutter » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:53 pm

Right before there are any wise cracks no it hasn't taken me this long to sleep off the walk. :D

Packed the bikes into the car and headed off up to glenshee. Stopped at the car park right at the top of the hill just south of the ski centre and chained the bikes up to a fence going around a mast, then take the car up to a car park just before the one that is marked on the map. From the road, carn a tuirc can be easily seen. So heading down from the car park we take the little bridge to the north of the burn that runs down. There is a well trodden path most of the way till you start up the incline. It's decent going till you get near the top where it is a bit bouldery if that is a term. First one done.

There is no real path of any sort to Tolmount but as it can be seen from where we were and it was a clear day we took a direct route. Halfway to Tolmount it gets rather boggy and you have to pick your route carefully. Hitting the top of Tolmount after am easy walk, a quick drop of water and off to Tom Buidhe.

You've got to love the boost you get from seeing 3 guys 'running' the munro's your doing and they beat us up to Tom Buidhe where we had lunch. mmmmm Forfar Bridie. Met a feew guys and had agood chat.

Heading up to Cairn a Claise we passed a family with 5 kids all around the 12ish years old and all of them seemed to be having a blast. Good on them as most kids of that age i know would be moaning!!

A gentle incline takes you up to Cairn a Claise which again is stoney. This leg i would say is second strenuis after the initial climb up to Carn a Turic.

A well trodden path takes you across to the big one, Glas Maol where we took the winding path up as the legs were getting a wee bit tired by now. Once up on Glas Moal an easy trek takes you across to Creag Leacach which although it had lots of boulders i think it was the best munro out of lot.

A fair walk back to the top of the first ski tow and a long sharp decent takes us back down the the bikes. Which were still there. Phew!!!

All downhill back to the car. Brilliant!!
Bluelungbutter
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland