walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blair Atholl to Bynack Lodge

Blair Atholl to Bynack Lodge

Postby revalation » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Route description: Blair Atholl to the Red House

Date walked: 24/05/2018

Distance: 29 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After camping at Blair Castle Campsite and parking car at station, I was on my way in perfect weather conditions just after 9am. I took the path up the East side of the River Tilt which goes through pleasant woodland an through Bridge of Tilt. This first kilometre was not strictly on the trail, but there was no obvious sign on the West side. I guess I just missed it.
DSC01064.JPG
River Tilt at Blair Atholl

After Bridge of Tilt, there was a lane off to the left to get back on the West side along a quaint walled lane and realised I needed to be on the footbridge (pictured below). Anyway I walked further down lane to car park and got on to correct footpath
DSC01065.JPG
Footbridge

Path goes up wooded gorge for a couple of kilometres.
DSC01066.JPG
Overlooking steep drop to River Tilt

The path then crosses to the East side again, continuing up the gorge, but the woodlands come to an end, which on that day mean't clear blue sky and temperature rising.
DSC01067.JPG
Approaching Auchgobhal Farm

Track continues up Glen Tilt for a couple of kilometres before crossing the river at Gaw's Bridge and stays on this side all the way up the glen.
DSC01069.JPG

Various dwellings are passed before reaching Clachghlas. Must be quite isolated this far up the gorge especially in winter.
DSC01070.JPG

DSC01071.JPG
Clachghlas

DSC01072.JPG

The last habitable place is a forest lodge beyond which there is a forest alongside the path which was a welcome break in the shade and chance to cool down.
DSC01073.JPG
Forest Lodge Wood

And so the gorge track continues and passes a footbridge on the right.
DSC01074.JPG

DSC01075.JPG
Footbridge at Dail Fheannach

DSC01076.JPG
Looking back down Glen Tilt

The track begins to fade a little and becomes a footpath just before the Falls of Tarf.
DSC01079.JPG

The Bedford Bridge over the Falls of Tarf is a quaint 19th century footbridge built after a student was drowned crossing the Tarf in spate.
DSC01080.JPG
Bedford Bridge

DSC01081.JPG
Falls of Tarf

Accross the bridge, there is a pleasant grassy (almost lawn) bank which was the ideal place to just rest and refuel in the mid-afternoon sunshine.
DSC01082.JPG

After the bridge, the path steadily climbs up the gorge. The Tilt is not as wide now. It was around this area that I had my first ever encounter with an adder snake. I somewhat surprised it but it did sense me coming and winded its way into the heather, giving me a hiss of displeasure at being disturbed.
DSC01083.JPG

DSC01084.JPG
Dail a Bhoididh

The gorge finally opens out into a plateau at Dail a Bhoididh. Guess this is normally boggy, but looks like I have hit a dry spell.
DSC01085.JPG

The path now is fairly easy going now and after more gentle climbing initially, begins to go downhill as the headwaters of the Dee are reached.
DSC01086.JPG

Bynack Lodge ruin comes into view. Best to stick to track and go past it, then follow track up to it. Quite boggy if you try to go straight to it.
DSC01087.JPG
First view of Bynack Lodge ruin

DSC01088.JPG

DSC01089.JPG

DSC01090.JPG

An excellent day's walk with perfect weather. There was one other wild camper at the ruin so it was good to meet someone in this remote place. It was a beautiful evening just watching the sun go down and reflecting on the day's walk. Daylight almost until 11pm at this time of year and even then not too dark.

blair atholl to bynack.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Next stage: Bynack Lodge to Glen Feshie https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=84520
Last edited by revalation on Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
revalation
Walker

Munros:6   

Re: Blair Atholl to Bynack Lodge

Postby Graeme D » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:21 pm

That "lawn" at the Falls of Tarf is a cracking campsite - pitched there a few times. Bynack Lodge looks like a fine site too - yet to pitch up there but that will change one of these days. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby IanHardwick » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 pm

Excellent report thanks. Is there any way to check river/burn water levels before setting out for Kingussie ? Cheers
IanHardwick
Ambler

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 pm

IanHardwick wrote:Excellent report thanks. Is there any way to check river/burn water levels before setting out for Kingussie ? Cheers

Not for certain. Unless you walk the route in a dry spell, then the river levels cannot be guaranteed. Firstly, if there's been heavy rain in the hills, the river Tilt will be running high and almost certainly so will the Bynack and Geldie burns. That would be enough to deter me from setting out.
Secondly, if there's a hot spell in the spring, there will be heavy snow melt, usually worse in the afternoon as the day warms up and snow melts faster, so the rivers will rise quickly.
I've crossed these burns 3 times (South to North) in late spring, usually about early afternoon, and I've got across without taking my boots off each time. The biggest obstacle will be the Geldie burn, it's wider and deeper, but the ford where the track crosses it is the shallowest place that I could see. These burns generally rise quickly and fall quickly so if you had set off and found the Bynack burn or Geldie too deep and fast, you could sit it out and wait a while until the water level drops. During wet weather there's a number of fords along Glen Feshie that could be problematic, but they aren't so wide and in normal dry conditions can be crossed with boots on.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland