walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Lubnaclach Cottage from Corrour - circular route possible?

Lubnaclach Cottage from Corrour - circular route possible?

Postby Plavuizen » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:06 pm

Hello all!

I'm planning a short walk (max 2-3 hour) mid October from Corrour Station. On the OS map I see a path running South on the West side of the rails, as far as Lubnaclach Cottage (which is on the East side of the rails), and from there a path runs North back to Loch Ossian, making a circular to Corrour Station. Does anyone know whether these paths still exist in the field and what the condition of these paths is?

Other option would be to just walk West from Corrour Station, on the map there seems to be a path, but that stops before the ascend starts. At the ridge (Glac na Diollaid), there seems to be a path that returns East. Would be a shorter circular. Anyone familiar with the terrain?

Just walking towards Loch Ossian and returning the same week looks not that exciting, and have done that already couple of years ago.
Plavuizen
Walker

Munros:4   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:2

Re: Lubnaclach Cottage from Corrour - circular route possibl

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:56 pm

Cant really help you much with the paths you mention but a couple of other ideas. I've been on the path which goes down to Loch Trieg from Corrour and not a bad path which turns into a new track at the railway bridge. Quite a good wee walk, not quite a circular but you could vary it on the way back by staying on the track which goes to Loch Ossian and then back to Corrour. Also good views if you walked up onto the ridge you mentioned. I've been in there twice this year already.
Great area all the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Robinho08 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:11 am

I haven't walked those paths, but generally they tent to be boggy and wet in that area. There has been a lot of tracks built in recent years, so the upper path that runs passed Corrour Old Lodge I think may actually be a vechile track now. Hopefully someone will confirm that is the case.

Meall na Lice is worth the short climb for the views, plus plenty deer as that general area is less frequented.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:39 am

Plavuizen wrote:On the OS map I see a path running South on the West side of the rails, as far as Lubnaclach Cottage (which is on the East side of the rails), and from there a path runs North back to Loch Ossian, making a circular to Corrour Station. Does anyone know whether these paths still exist in the field and what the condition of these paths is?

Those paths/tracks are all visible on Google satellite imagery, but they could well be rough going and boggy, as Robinho says.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Bothybob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:35 pm

You can follow the track to opposite the YH and the head south on a good track to Lubnaclach the head west going under the railway to Blackwater resevoir and swing round to Chairan bothy and take path north to Loch Treig and follow track back to Corrour station , looking at 4-5 hour walk
Bothybob

Postby Plavuizen » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:54 pm

Bothybob wrote:You can follow the track to opposite the YH and the head south on a good track to Lubnaclach the head west going under the railway to Blackwater resevoir and swing round to Chairan bothy and take path north to Loch Treig and follow track back to Corrour station , looking at 4-5 hour walk

Thanks for the response. however, based on train times and further travelplans I only have time for a 2-3 hour walk. Your proposal, although tempting, would be too long. And I’m not a runner, just a walker...
Plavuizen
Walker

Munros:4   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:2

Postby Bothybob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:58 pm

Given the time you have available, the walk to Lubnaclach and back is a good option,
Bothybob

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:00 pm

Plavuizen wrote:Hello all!

Other option would be to just walk West from Corrour Station, on the map there seems to be a path, but that stops before the ascend starts. At the ridge (Glac na Diollaid), there seems to be a path that returns East. Would be a shorter circular. Anyone familiar with the terrain.

The path that leads from Corrour to Sron an Lagain Ghairbh can be boggy and rather water sodden,at the other end An Diollaid,the stalkers use this quite a bit with their all terrain vehicles and can get rather churned up and very boggy.Both routes you can expect a bit of zig-zagging up and down.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion