walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Staggerhighlands.co.uk on Beinn Liath Mhor

Staggerhighlands.co.uk on Beinn Liath Mhor

Postby jacob » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:40 pm

Route description: Beinn Liath Mhor, Achnashellach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr

Date walked: 12/09/2018

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1054m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Like a silverback gorilla it looked, with the sunshine reflecting from it's quartsize greyish ridge, that has a bump looking like the shoulders of the ape standing at ease. Seeing the kolossus, I decided I would bag it next year.
I didn't know it's name yet, didn't know it's status either. But it looked impressive in May '17, driving back from a beautiful walk up and down Beinn Alligin and it's horns.
September '18 was a different story. Hard winds and low cloud reveiled little of what had appealed to me a year and a half ago. And then there was some physical discomfort ( https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=84278 ).
I didn't like sitting still in the youthhostel, so no matter the state of my foot ("it's fine" I said to myself, "two days of rest is moooore than enough", ignoring the mac 'n' cheese look the blister had by now), I decided to head into the hills again. Not from the north, Glen Torridon, southwards, as in my original plan, but from Achnashellach trainstation up, as per WH route.
The morning started with me giving a lift to a lady I met in the youthhostel to Beinn Alligin carpark, and then I made the more than enjoyable ride south, via Shieldaig and Lochcarron.
Walkhighlanders who know me a bit will know I love to complain. So heading of from the carpark, not only did my foot ofcourse hurt more than expected, I also, quite stupidly I laughingly will agree, missed the first turn to the left the path makes after a few hundred meters, which very soon resulted in me cursing, swearing and fighting my way through bog and forest, along a fence, trying to find out where I can get over the fence.
Until I was greeted by a black labrador who apparantly mistook my swearing for cheers of joy, as it was wagging it's tail like a fanatic. I saw it's owner a little further on, realised there was a path I must have missed, climbed the fence and joined on the path. Me having stopped swearing, the dog soon lost it's interest in me, and after a short chat with it's owner ("are you sure you're allright?", haha) I continued towards the goal/goals of the day.
I say goals, because my original plan included Fuar Tholl and Sgorr Ruadh, oh youth where are thou?
Anyway, to make a long story slightly shorter: strong galeforce winds blew over the ridge, making it hardgoing and difficult to balance. By the time I had reached the bealach between Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh, I realised I wasn't going to make the other two summits, so I headed down into Coire Lair. Not finding any suitable wildcampspot, with the ground being soaked and almost floating no matter where I looked, a hurting foot and a growing concern over the gale force winds i.c.w the lady I left at Beinn Alligin, I decided to spend another two nights at the youthhostel.
I hope that through the clouds, the rain and a windshaken camera you'll still enjoy these photos:

SAM_2075.jpg

SAM_2077 (2).jpg

SAM_2080 (2).jpg

SAM_2084 (2).jpg

SAM_2087 (2).jpg

SAM_2092 (2).jpg

SAM_2104 (2).jpg

SAM_2106 (2).jpg

SAM_2108 (2).jpg

SAM_2110 (2).jpg

SAM_2111 (2).jpg

SAM_2122 (2).jpg

SAM_2123 (2).jpg

SAM_2127 (2).jpg

SAM_2128 (2).jpg

SAM_2129 (2).jpg

SAM_2131 (2).jpg

SAM_2136 (2).jpg
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: Staggerhighlands.co.uk on Beinn Liath Mhor

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:48 pm

A real pity about your rotting foot! Although it looks a bit damp and windy on the pics, the hills still look pretty fine. But somewhat hard to enjoy, I imagine, when you're in acute pain. :(
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland