walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Blair and the year continuing to fizzle out in my mind

Mount Blair and the year continuing to fizzle out in my mind

Postby litljortindan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:28 am

Route description: Mount Blair

Fionas included on this walk: Mount Blair

Date walked: 01/10/2018

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4.5 km

Ascent: 400m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

One thing logging walk reports does is to create an extra memory of events and one that can help highlight what went right and what went wrong over the years.
I count myself a little unfortunate in that a couple of years into logging walks I was near incapacitated and so had to almost rethink and relearn everything to do with planning a walk. And then two years ago I was near incapacitated and had to relearn again!
Not sure if this is a related matter but I've certainly noticed from logging reports an imbalance in how my efforts are distributed across the year. In short, I feel more optimism and energy and ambition going from winter through to summer than from summer through to winter. In the spring I am full of plans but now, in autumn, I feel full of caution and limited ambition. Is it just a trick of the mind responding in different ways to different directions of temperature change I wonder. But surely spring and autumn are just differently coloured mirrors of each other and maybe I just need to assert my will over my body.
In fact, when I think about it, it was only really over these last five years that I committed to at least one walk per month so even my extra effort for the first half of the year was somewhat artificially induced. Whatever, I am grateful to myself for having made that seemingly simple commitment of a walk a month for it took me to unexpected places, particularly in light of injury and illness.
So can I command myself to get me somewhere more exotic these next few months or will I make do with the likes of Mount Blair? I think it will be the latter because that just seems to be me and how I've worked out how to keep to my walk a month; expend my energy and ideas over the first half of the year and then look for simple to plod up/down targets for the rest. I'm not ruling anything out though.
All that said, I really enjoyed my bound up and down Mount Blair. I was a bit nervous about walking through some agitated cows with calves but I spoke to then to try to distract them from thoughts of pursuit and trampling and I gave a wide berth to a couple that did take steps towards me.
Pleasantly surprised by the mild ascent but really hit with a cold blast at the top and for some of the descent. Still, a grand panorama of the Angus Glens. I couldn't identify too much of what I saw but I like a bit of a mystery still left to investigate. All too easy now with peakfinder.org but for now I'm happy enough not knowing exactly what was what.
Amazing colours on the trees now and a dusting of snow on the higher tops. Autumn colours seem to have arrived very suddenly this year.

ImageDSC01319 by John Little, on Flickr
The morning's target from the east. I discovered that it's a far shorter drive via Glenshee than via the A90. Now I know.

ImageDSC01323 by John Little, on Flickr
Zoom looking north from a bit further along the road.

ImageDSC01326c by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01329c by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01330c by John Little, on Flickr
A lot of cows and calves ahead. Is this sensible, I wonder.

ImageDSC01331 by John Little, on Flickr
Managed to sneak past the nervy cows and bypass the more agitated ones. Now I can relax on the other side of the gate.

ImageDSC01334 by John Little, on Flickr
Dusting of snow on the higher tops.

ImageDSC01336 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01339 by John Little, on Flickr
Looking northish.

ImageDSC01346 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01348 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01351 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01352 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01353 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01364 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01368 by John Little, on Flickr
Schiehallion.

ImageDSC01369 by John Little, on Flickr
Shade and light.

ImageDSC01383 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01392 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01393 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC01401 by John Little, on Flickr
View south east.

ImageDSC01410 by John Little, on Flickr
Eye-catching colours on the way home.

Last edited by litljortindan on Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Mount Blair and the year continuing to fizzle out in my

Postby razzah » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:34 am

Cracking pictures there. Wouldn't like to trot past those coos though :shock:
razzah
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:22   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:58   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:16   Islands:36

Re: Mount Blair and the year continuing to fizzle out in my

Postby litljortindan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:04 pm

razzah wrote:Cracking pictures there. Wouldn't like to trot past those coos though :shock:

Cheers.

About five trampling type deaths per year apparently, but rarely dogless walkers:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cows-officially-the-most-deadly-large-animals-in-britain-a6727266.html
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland