walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

If Carlsberg did birthdays...

If Carlsberg did birthdays...

Postby Jaxter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Route description: Stac Pollaidh ridge and circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Stac Pollaidh

Date walked: 08/07/2018

Time taken: 5.1 hours

Distance: 18.98 km

Ascent: 843m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Part 3 - I'm Walking on Sunshine...ooooh!

Sunday 8th July 2018 – cycle to Durness
47.65km
510m ascent
2 hours 5 minutes

It rained (yes, actual rain :lol: ) all morning and was looking to be claggy all afternoon so I thought it was a nice opportunity for a trip to Cocoa Mountain. Me being me, decided I would cycle there.

I drove part of the way up to Rhicconich which left me a nice ride there and back for a guilt-free hot chocolate 8)

It brightened up on the way back which gave me an idea…. :roll:

Cocoa mountain.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sandwood Bay
13.49km
239m ascent
2 hours 45 minutes

A few miles down the road took me to Blairmore and a quick shuffle of my stuff saw me walking into Sandwood Bay. It was an easy walk a bit over an hour later I saw a familiar sight come into view…

I got the tent pitched and brewed up some dinner before going for a wander down to the beach for sunset 8)

Image[

With the sun gone I headed back to the tent to drink hot chocolate and chill out 8)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as places to wake up on your birthday go, Sandwood Bay has to rank pretty highly 8) It certainly beat last year (the back seat of my car) although that day did improve significantly on the Inn Pinn :lol:

I had breakfast in bed, but I did have to make it myself :lol: Then a wee wander along the beach seemed in order

It was a wee bit overcast but still absolutely stunning 8) Eventually I got my stuff together and walked back to the car – it was sad to see how much rubbish had been left behind and although I picked up some of it, I was barely scratching the surface :(

Back at the car it was an easy drive down the road, stopping for a few photos of Quinag…

…and the Kylesku bridge

Arriving back in Lochinver there was something that needed to happen…

Happy Birthday to me 8)

Sandwood.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Monday 9th July 2018 – Stac Pollaidh
5.49km
604m ascent
2 hours 25 mins

I drove just down the road as I had a hot date with an old friend 8)

It was late on in the day and most folk were coming down as I grabbed my camera and ran off up the path.

The weather was starting to come in so I didn’t really know how far up I was going to get….

But it was still absolutely stunning :D

Ridge ahoy! Well, I might as well go and have a look :roll:

Woooo 8)

I made it across the ridge to the final scramble….with my short person problems I went around the squeezey way; undignified but not difficult :roll: And soon I was on the top

Finally it was time to head home. I found my gully and started down it before my phone rang – of all the places to get signal :lol:

Back on the path I realised that if the petrol station in Ullapool wasn’t open when I got there I was stranded there for the night….

Setting off at a run I made it down to the car and back to Ullapool in time for fuel, phew :lol: And a long drive home. But what a day to end a wonderful week away. And this summer is just getting started 8)

Stac Pollaidh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: If Carlsberg did birthdays...

Postby Sgurr » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:15 pm

Lovely TR. You are much more intrepid than I to manage the last scramble up Stac Pollaidh with no-one around to see if you had come to grief. It was my final Graham, and having a bad shoulder I hired a guide. What is the opposite of intrepid? Probably trepid. We have walked to Sandwood Bay, but need to camp to get the new Marilyn that has popped up on the Cape Wrath peninsula. Looks beautiful, but not as enticing as the hot chocolate. (Done that too.)
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Ooh, I have never thought of a connection between being intrepid and trepidation before! (LinguisticHighlands)

Lovely pictures, especially sunset on the beach - and the food tour! I had a really good pie from a roadside stall in Harris...
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:48 pm

Happy (very belated) Birthday. Great way to spend it!

One thing is disappointing in this report. You don't say what type of pie!!!!! The Pork apple and sagey ones are my current favourite, though I don't think they could do a bad one...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby apollo0815 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:08 pm

Happy birthday, even if I am disappointed, too.
You promised to visit the secret tea garden in Drumbeg, when you are back in the area...which you obviously missed again :)
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby Jaxter » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:58 pm

Sgurr wrote:Lovely TR. You are much more intrepid than I to manage the last scramble up Stac Pollaidh with no-one around to see if you had come to grief. It was my final Graham, and having a bad shoulder I hired a guide. What is the opposite of intrepid? Probably trepid. We have walked to Sandwood Bay, but need to camp to get the new Marilyn that has popped up on the Cape Wrath peninsula. Looks beautiful, but not as enticing as the hot chocolate. (Done that too.)

Thanks - I did cheat and did the short person's version and squeezed through the gap (can't reach the handholds :lol: ) That hot chocolate is definitely worth the trip!

nigheandonn wrote:Ooh, I have never thought of a connection between being intrepid and trepidation before! (LinguisticHighlands)

Lovely pictures, especially sunset on the beach - and the food tour! I had a really good pie from a roadside stall in Harris...

Yes I had a good laugh at that too :lol: Thanks for the tip off about Harris pies. Clearly I'll have to go there now :wink:

Mal Grey wrote:Happy (very belated) Birthday. Great way to spend it!

One thing is disappointing in this report. You don't say what type of pie!!!!! The Pork apple and sagey ones are my current favourite, though I don't think they could do a bad one...

Cheers Mal, I could go on for ages about pies (but I decided people would get bored :roll: ) I went for the venison and cranberry on that occasion. The previous time I enjoyed a pork, chorizo and manchego (probably my favourite) but i also brought home a couple including a sweet on which I'd never sampled before. I can confirm that the strawberry and rhubarb pies are also delicious 8)

apollo0815 wrote:Happy birthday, even if I am disappointed, too.
You promised to visit the secret tea garden in Drumbeg, when you are back in the area...which you obviously missed again :)

You're correct, I did completely forget! I guess I'll just have to go back again. WHAT a shame :roll:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland