walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gorms in the snow and clag

Gorms in the snow and clag

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir, Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 01/10/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 1105m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With the weather being a bit 'unpredictable' and winter just round the corner, I had a chat with Parminder to see if he fancied venturing out. He was pencilled in for a baby sitting stint but used his powers of persuasion and handed the reigns to his deputy. I suggested a trip up to the western edge of the Cairngorms and he was more than happy as it would be 2 new balloons. I mentioned the weather and we were aware that it was forecast to rain at about 4pm so the plan was to leave Fife at 6am in a bid to try and beat the rain.
I had programmed the directions into my Satnav and even though the car is only 18 months old it doesn't have the latest A9 dualled section. The old turnoff for Kincraig is now obsolete on the new section of road and had I known that I would have turned off at Kingussie. This resulted in a bit of a detour as the first turnoff was the south turnoff for Aviemore.
We arrived at the car park and there were already about 6 cars parked up. We had a brief chat with a guy who was planning to head to Monadh Mor and we ended up following him up towards Carn Ban Mor.
The last time I did this route we did it anti clockwise and the weather was certainly much better.

The car park at Achlean

[img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1980/44319681864_fffc1a9753_k.jpg[/img
The initial road before we venture uphill

Achlean being renovated

Good path uphill, nice gradual incline

The way ahead

Looking back and the views are opening up

Parminder leading for a change

The way ahead still obvious

Looking back

Looking back just as we reach the white stuff

Getting whiter and into cloud soon

Path still obvious

Small cairn marks the crossroads, straight on for Monadh Mor, right for Mullach, we are going left

Parminder lingering behind, conditions not ideal

Snow/ice close up

Summit appearing through the clag

Parminder doing one of his unique poses, don't think it will catch on

Was explaining to Parminder it is a very long way down and Loch Einich is down there

On the way back to the cairn at the crossroads, we had a bit of a navigational hiccup, we were following our steps in the snow - but somehow we lost them and ended up doing a circle round a standing stone and then started heading back the way we had come. The joys of walking on a flattish plateau with no visual references. It wasn't long before we were back on track and trudging towards Mullach.
Once we descended after passing the crossroad cairn, we finally got views and could see where we were going.

Small burn to cross

Bit of a boggy area

Great view looking westish

Another tiny burn to cross

We were now on the motorway of paths that would take us almost to the summit of Mullach

Cairn on Mullach Clach a'Bhlair

Not the most exciting cairn

Not often you get to see me

Our descent route down the motorway

Still going down, it had started raining now

Landslide?

Nearly on the flat terrain

River Feshie had caused quite a bit of recent damage

Glad we didn't have to cross the Feshie

Nice walk back through the trees and following the Feshie

Plenty of fungi

More damage evident

"Expert" river crossing

The way back to the car

Still following the Feshie

Will be a tight squeeze in a few years

Next river crossing, very shallow

Really enjoyable day, thanks as always to Parminder for his great company just a shame the weather didn't really play ball. Especially as the view from Sgor Gaoith is fantastic, just means Parminder will have to return.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Gorms in the snow and clag

Postby parminder » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:35 am

Well Done FF. Another good outing and script.. :clap:
parminder
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   Corbetts:23
Fionas:25   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:108   Hewitts:2

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland