walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A big loop.

A big loop.

Postby davetherave » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:32 am

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Alder), Beinn Bheoil, Beinn Èibhinn, Beinn na Lap, Ben Alder, Càrn Dearg (Corrour), Càrn Dearg (Loch Pattack), Chno Dearg, Geal-chàrn (Alder), Sgòr Gaibhre, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Pharlagain

Date walked: 22/07/2010

Time taken: 39 hours

Distance: 99 km

Ascent: 5466m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

[Date. Saturday 22nd 23rd 24th 2010
Completed by. Dave, Julie and Wilson
Weather. Clear, sunny, mainly blue skies, last day very poor
Time. 11hrs 45mins, 11hrs and 16hrs 25 mins
Total time. 39hrs 10mins
Distance 99 km
Ascent. 5466 m
Hills.
Munro’s x 11
Corbett’s x 1
Grahams x 0

our route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beinn Bheoil, Ben Alder, sgor Gaibhre, Carn Dearg, Beinn na Lap, Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain, Beinn Eibuinn, Aonach Beag, Geal Charn and Carn Dearg.

Meall Na Meoig

Starting from. Dalwhinnie level crossing

Our long awaited trek finally got under way at the tail end of the week. Was very excited about this one, it had been in the back of my (our) mind for a long time. The route had changed many times in the planning, every time I looked at it, a hill seemed to get added to the list….. The joys.

The 3 of us left the Lc at Dalwhinnie at 9.45. We soon got into a quick march, and
2h 45 mins later we were sitting opposite the Curla Bathy Brewing a cuppa. We could see the ridge we needed to get on to reach our first hill of the day Beinn Bheoil. We would head SW up the track and then south onto the ridge, The summit is at the south end about a further 2km farther on. Due to the FANTASTIC weather, each hill that day was met with a 20 min / 30 min break just to savour the views.

From here nice views were to be had over to Ben Alder, and it’s east facing double Coire’s.. Carried on SSW then dropped into the Bealach. We then started to climb to reach the ridge before finally carrying on to the summit.
Heading west we aimed for Beinn Chumhainn, we carried on this ridge until we reached Bealach Nan sgor and descided to set camp at 9.30pm ready for our 1st nights camp…we were left at 9.30am (9hrs sleep was just what the doc ordered).

DSC00685.JPG
beautiful

DSC00688.JPG
Curla Bothy

DSC00689.JPG
Aonach Beag

DSC00695.JPG
Knackered on Ben Alder

DSC00700.JPG
Possibly Beinn a Lap,,???????

Carried on south to Sgor Gaibhre summit then on to the Corbett Meall Na Meoig. Enjoyed the views for a bit as the weather was still fab…. No time to rest we head NW down the ridge, across the bog and up the slopes to the low part in between the 861 height and the Carn Dearg summit, then North to the summit.

Now, if I am honest with myself here. I really thought the walk so far was fairly dull. Was only made so much better due to the weather and the views. But coming off the summit with the views into Loch Oassian, over to Corrour St and Leum Uilleim hulking up from behind my views now seemed like a distant memory.

We headed for Peter’s Rock, round the end of the Loch, headed for the ridge then onto the summit of Beinn a Lap. Then heading NNE we shoot along the ridge, gradually dropping for 5/6 km. We set camp right at the river edge of Allt Faith Thuill. The prime location for our final day’s flurry.

DSC00701.JPG
Sgor Ghaibhre

DSC00702.JPG
Corbett Meall Na Meoig

DSC00710.JPG
Killer Bac Pak !

DSC00711.JPG
Carn Dearg and beyond.

DSC00715.JPG
Peter's rock

DSC00718.JPG
Meall na Lice

DSC00725.JPG
From Beinn a Lap

DSC00728.JPG
2nd night camp spot.

We went up and down either side of the Coire to catch the two early summits, Shame about the weather, flutters of rain further down, full blown higher up with high winds thrown in for strong measure. No real problems with those two, but care did have to be taken when coming down the far South ridge of the coire due to the wind and rain.

Safely down we headed back to camp, quick fuel up, pack up the tent and all the gear then carry on our merry way.

WE headed straight for Stratossian and crossed the bridge. Straight in front was Creagan Nan Nead, this looked fairly relentless but it needed to be done to gain the ridge. 600m and visibility was down to 50/100m and as we neared Mullach coire nan Nead it was down to 10/30 m…. Just another 1.5km and Wilson and I can celebrate our 100th Munro (TOP DOG).

From Beinn Eibuinn along the whole ridge was a bit of a blur to say the least. Thick mist wind and rain…. Time was against us, but if we pushed I told Julie I hoped we could possible reach the Bothy for 10pm………… we eventually reached Curla at 10.35pm. Had a quick look in but all we got was silence.

DSC00731.JPG
Chno Dearg... i feel like death!

DSC00734.JPG
some where up above.

DSC00740.JPG
foggy spec's !00red.... me the Mr wilson..... what a man

DSC00741.JPG
where she go'es nobody know's

DSC00743.JPG
Geall Charn

DSC00744.JPG
nearing the final chomp.

DSC00747.JPG
Carn Dearg

DSC00748.JPG
top of the world

DSC00749.JPG
Ohh for the hair's on my Chinny chin chin....

There were at least 4 bikes at the Bothy, and possibly 6 tents near the water edge. For some crazy reason we decided to head back to Dalwhinnie on foot.

11.30 prior to Loch Pattack we stopped for a brew and some cous cous, the very last of our rations. Finally at 2.10 am we arrived back at the car at the level crossing.

Could not wait till we reached Dundee and the 24hr Mc dood’s. Was well needed.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: A big loop.

Postby gaffr » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:46 am

That's a hard way to reach the century!....is it also a ton for Wilson too? Fine trip sneaking it in between the bursts of July weather. :) I think that I might have allowed myself the wee luxury of a bike ride out to and back from the Culra area. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby malky_c » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:42 am

That's a massive loop! I thought I'd dome some long days out in this area, but it took me 5 visits to do all of those hills (still haven't done the Corbett either). Impressive stuff, glad you managed to find some decent weather in there too. Agree with Gaffr, definitely worth using a bike to knock a couple of hours off this.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Stretch » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:44 am

This is some serious walking here Dave! I've got a question, what size rucksack do you carry? I'm purchasing a tent this week for wildcamping, but I've only got the Northface Terra 30 rucksack and I doubt I'll be able to fit clothes and food and tent in it for an overnight walk. Do you think most wildcampers should have at least a 65L bag?

Cheers
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby magicdin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:51 am

aye it sure is along walk - over 16 hours the last day - some effort that - bet you wished you had taken bikes
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby monty » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:40 pm

Great report Dave. The loops are getting bigger and bigger. I can see you, the missus and wilson disappearing one weekend and coming back 6 months later having done them all :D Well done. Shame about the weather this month though. :D
monty

Postby kinley » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:46 pm

When I saw it was you calling it a big loop I knew it would be. :lol:

Still bigger than expected :shock:

Not sure if your knees or the hills will wear out first :lol:
kinley

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:03 pm

Me too- seen your name + the title and thought what the hell's he done now! Epic stuff dave, keep it going!

Monty must be getting ideas from this!
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:04 am

What are you ascending on the pic called 'Killer back pack'? Looks very steep!
mountain coward

Postby davetherave » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:46 pm

gaffr wrote:is it also a ton for Wilson too?

Thats correct Gaffr. Wilson and i have both done the exact same hills. Julie my better half is eight behind, so looks like she will reach the magic 100 some time in the near future.

malky_c wrote:definitely worth using a bike to knock a couple of hours off this.

We certainly thought of it, but had to discard the idea because of the dog.

Stretch wrote:Do you think most wildcampers should have at least a 65L bag?

Stretch,
Julie, Wilson and i are all new to wild camping, only started early this year. As for the ruc-sac, i carry a 65l and julie a 60l..... Wilson carrys his own water and some of his food in his own small bac-pac... :lol:
Im sure i could carry all my own stuff for a 2 day trip in my own pack, if my tent was a one man affair. To answer your question, 60l would be ok, but your 30l would be very tight indeed.

magicdin wrote:over 16 hours the last day - some effort that - bet you wished you had taken bikes

Very nearly just pitched the tent at the bothy on that final day. But we were very happy the next day that we descided to just head straight out and head for home

monty wrote:Well done. Shame about the weather this month though.

Cheers Monty,
We were fairly lucky our last 2 trips. :? As for this trip. 3 days first 2 days brilliant, 3rd / final day was very poor. We were 66.666 % happy :lol:

kinley wrote:When I saw it was you calling it a big loop I knew it would be.

Thats the trouble when sitting at home playing about with the digital mapping software. I think the wife needs to take me under her control when planning in the future. :lol: . It was a really good trip, just a shame about the final day, we never saw a thing along the whole ridge. ( that ridge will be done again in better weather )

HighlandSC wrote:Me too- seen your name + the title and thought what the hell's he done now! Epic stuff dave, keep it going!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Highland SC

mountain coward wrote:What are you ascending on the pic called 'Killer back pack'? Looks very steep!

MC........ That was heading for the 861 spot height prior to Carn Dearg summit ( south of the summit ).
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland