walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bike and Hike in Glen Ey

Bike and Hike in Glen Ey

Postby thorburn7 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:08 pm

Route description: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr and Càrn Bhac, Inverey

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 06/10/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 32.4 km

Ascent: 1148m

26 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With Saturday forecast for sun across much of the country I was a bit spoiled for choice as for where to go. With my usual walking companions unable to join me I was eager to make good use of the bike for those tricky hard to reach munros.
It was a toss up between Glenfinnan and Glen Ey for a bike and hike. I had my eye on tickling off Sgurr nan Coireachan and Sgurr Thuilm with the views into Knoydart being a big draw. I settled for Glen Ey in the end as the summits in the west had a forecast of snow and didnt want to risk poorer visibility and colder temperature!

Set off at 7am from Greenock with the bike stuck to the back of the car - only the 3rd time I've used the bike carrier - and headed towards Braemar. Arrived at the small settlement of Inverey at 9:45 and quickly set up and was on the track by 10am.

Looking out at the Forrest of Mar and Linn of Dee before heading up Glen Ey.
ImageUntitled by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

Entrance into Glen Ey early in the morning.

I was really pleased with the condition of the track into Glen Ey. Very smooth surface which made the bike ride quite comfortable.

A very beautiful and isolated area of Scotland is Glen Ey. Long journey in but worth it.

The trusty steed. In hindsight I should have really bought a mountain bike with suspension instead of a cross-trail but there were no complaints today.

First view of Beinn lutharn Mhor.

Made it to Altanour Lodge for 11am. 1hr from starting at Inverey which I expect was probably half the time than if i had been on foot. Chained the bike up on a fence and set off for Beinn lutharn Mhor dead ahead.

Looking back down to where i left the bike at the ruins of Altanour Lodge.

A slight bit of ground frost was slowly melting in the morning sun. Good path for most of the way until the gradient became steeper and then it was a free roam until I hit the ridge and followed another nice path to the summit cairn.

Summit finally in sight.

Summit of Beinn lutharn Mhor at 12:45pm.

Summit selfie on Beinn lutharn Mhor. Munro number 168.

Beinn a'Ghlo quite prominent in the distance from the top.

It became a bit blustery at the summit which prompted the retrieval of the gloves and extra jumper from my bag. Had a quick bite to eat for lunch and then made off in search of Carn Bhac.
With my headphones in I was in a good stride and totally focused on reaching the next top quickly. Descending from Beinn lutharn Mhor was a bit steep and uneven due to the scree. Once on the flat it was time to navigate the peat hags. Thankfully the area was very dry making it easy to cross without getting mucky. Would have been a nightmare if the day before had been a downpour so I was counting my lucky stars.

The summit of Carn Bhac was reached for 2:45pm and got a fantastic view of Beinn a'Ghlo from here!

View to the north of Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm basking in sunlight.

Summit selfie on Munro number 169. Carn Bhac at 3:00pm

From the top I headed southeast following the Alltan Odhar river until I hit the path again just before the Altanour Lodge where the bike was waiting for me. From the second summit it was only an hour until I reached the bike at 4:00pm.
Then it was a relaxing ride back with a slight gradient in my favour meaning peddling wasn't really necessary.

With the sun now casting the Glen into shadow it was another hour from Altanour Lodge back to the car at Inverey.

Finishing at 5pm and with a bit of light left in the day was nice as I still had a 3 hour car journey back to Greenock and its always easier when its still daylight on the drive back. With winter closing in it will mean the return of me struggling to stay awake at the end of a long walk while driving home in the dark.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

thorburn7
Mountain Walker

Munros:239   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3

Re: Bike and Hike in Glen Ey

Postby razzah » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:40 am

Cracking walk this and a beautiful part of the country. Love your photos - they really capture the beauty.
razzah
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:22   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:58   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:16   Islands:36

Re: Bike and Hike in Glen Ey

Postby Teawithshaaan » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:55 pm

Great photos!!!!
Teawithshaaan
Wanderer

Munros:32   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:10

26 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland