walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhragair

Beinn Bhragair

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:54 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Bhragair (Lewis)

Date walked: 16/10/2018

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 1.6 km

Ascent: 186m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A bit windy today, but the target was not too onerous on paper.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another casualty of the Lewis roads - out of Shawbost.jpg
Another casualty of the Lewis roads on the road out of Shawbost

The water treatment works at the end of the road.jpg
The water treatment works at the end of the access road

A drive up to the north, turning south again at Shawbost and through the gate to the water treatment works - I think,
I walked up a short track towards the north end of Bhraigar, trying to get a bit of a lee from the wind. The bottom crags were pretty steep and continuos, but I found a wee cleft which gave access to the upper easer slopes. However there was nae hiding from the wind up there.
The cairn was duly touched and a few minutes after coorin doon behind a north-facing rock, the rain started and my bunnet blew aff.

The summit just before the rain.jpg
Beinn Bhragair's trig - just before the rain.

Just enough time to see to the north.jpg
Just enough time to see to the north

The approaching squall.jpg
The approaching squall

The rain looked like one of the recent squalls that we'd had over the previous days so I tried to wait it out. However, just as I stood up to go in search o ma bunnet, the rain started in earnest - proper west coast horizontal stuff, wi drops as big as ping-pong balls. By the time I'd thought about jukin back under cover I was soaked, so I just continued down in search o ma hat. Surprisingly it hadn't reached the Atlantic, but had landed only about 50m away. I stuffed it in my sack as I was now wearing my £3 Aldi hat, which was keeping the rain off ma heid fine but was allowing it to dribble doon ma neck.

The discomfort was short-lived as I quickly found the crevice to descend the lower rocks and returned to the sanctury of the car..

I met Dave on the way down the road to Shawbost, courteously holding the gate open for me - fit a braw loon. He'd already knocked off the Coltraiseal's in his wellies and was heading for this one just as the rain let up. Great timing !

Headed off along the peat road to Stornoway to experience it for the first time.
Didn't take any pics as I must be the last person on the planet to visit the city !

The peat road to Stornoway.jpg
The peat road to Stornoway

John was laying on a curry for the rump of the St K team. at Geisaider - yum !

The curry crew - Dave, John, Simon & Angela.jpg
The curry crew - Dave, John, Simon & Angela
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland