walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cape Wrath Trail Vlog 2018

Cape Wrath Trail Vlog 2018

Postby Hounds of Howgate » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:46 pm

Route description: Cape Wrath Trail

Date walked: 11/08/2018

Time taken: 14.5 days

Distance: 386 km

38 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello everyone!

I completed the Cape Wrath Trail in 2018 doing a full successful thru-hike of it starting on my birthday, August the 11th.

I hope you enjoy the vlog!

Day 1: Start

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

Day 10

Day 11

Day 12

Day 13

Day 14

Finish!

Hope you enjoy our adventure!

Cheers!

John & Moss
'Hounds of Howgate'
Hounds of Howgate
Scrambler

Re: Cape Wrath Trail Vlog 2018

Postby neilist » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:53 pm

Brilliant mate. Enjoyed watching all the videos.
neilist

Munros:135   Corbetts:16
Fionas:10   

Postby motorlaunch » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:13 am

Enjoyed your report. You were unlucky to have such poor weather, although August is recognised as being a wet month. I wouldn't have had the tenacity to set up all those static camera positions, which must have taken time both to set up and then go back to recover the camera. Your planned daily calorie intake is too low for me. I plan on 2000 calories, supplemented by meals and snacks bought on the way, and my average daily distance is lower. Couldn't find your kit list. Have you posted it yet.
motorlaunch
Mountaineer

Postby bargee » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:39 pm

got as far as day 6 and enjoying the vlogs,
thanks for taking the trouble to film and edit them.

and echo the comment above I would get seriously despondent backtracking all the time to get the walk past shots especially carrying all my gear.
bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

Postby Uncle bob » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:21 pm

I really did enjoy your Vlog, I watched them all over two evenings, its nice to have an in depth look at a trail, and you did go the extra mile as others have said with setting up tripod shots on river crossings.
I have walked the WHW four times wild camping with my 2yr old jack russel "Jess" thro hiking 4 and once in 2 halves because I was called back home, so I love that Moss goes traveling with you ...( Jess when we travel on my bike does so in a dog carrier )... just one point in reference to your comments on fire lighting and you asked "why"....well im in my 60's and have ridden a motorbike nearly all my life and can tell you after rain and getting soaked I've always lit a fire to dry my wet clothes and boots and i will cook on an open fire if i have to light one and save gas, that why I travel up to Scotland because of the fire regulations , so i can see why some fires are lit.
I live down in Cheshire and am planning to do or at least try the CWT in May 2019, I liked that you did a CWT halfway food drop, on WHW i park my car at Crainlarich with food and clean clothes and get train to Milngavie...returning from Fort William , I might try parking my car halfway on the CWT, right I'll say well done to you and Moss and thanks , you have educated me and helped prepare me for my trip.

ps.... I've never replied to any posts ....hope its not overly long and it makes sense.
Uncle bob
Hill Bagger

Postby FromDownSouth » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:07 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed the video series and hope the ViewRanger app as recommended works out for you in the future. Working my way through your back catalogue of videos at the moment and be interested to see how the ZPACKS Arc Zip works out in the field. Considering the Arc Blast but been holding off. This could be the push and bite the bullet I need!

Regards,
Paul (aka FromDownSouth)
FromDownSouth
Mountaineer

Postby nick70 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:08 pm

Absolutely loved these videos. Extremely detailed, informative and in depth. I'm hoping to attempt this in 2020, so will find them a useful resource.

Many thanks again.
nick70

Postby AJPool » Fri May 17, 2019 10:20 am

In 2 days time - today is May 17, 2019 - I'll be flying to Scotland (from the Netherlands) and together with a friend of mine we will start walking the Cape Wrath Trail on Monday May 20th. I watched all your video's in the past week and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Informative (daily 'map time') and entertaining they gave me a very good impression of what to expect in the next weeks. Thank you so much for all the effort you put into making these video's.
AJPool
Scrambler

Postby crfishwick » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:25 am

Well done. Brilliant vids. Plus carrying a dog on occasions and all that camera gear:lol: It beggars belief. Takes me all the time to drag myself along. :lol: :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Lastofthesummerwine » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:50 pm

I really enjoyed your blog.I was sorry when it was all over.You have a lovely natural style.There's no feeling that you're trying to impress us. You just tell it like it is and I think we can all identify ourselves with you ,even though some of us, me included, are unlikely ever to do the CWT. Hope Moss is alright now. I have a wee border called Hamish who is always up for a long hike or a Munro.
Lastofthesummerwine
Mountain Walker

Postby lindtoc » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:34 pm

great videos and very useful tips , enjoyed each one
many thanks
lindtoc
lindtoc
Mountain Walker

Munros:74   Corbetts:1

Postby timothywilkes » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:58 pm

Brilliant sport. Hopefully doing the route this summer and your tips and suggestions are just what I need. Love the video's. Keep it up Cheers :D
timothywilkes
Mountain Walker

Postby girlinabox » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:09 pm

The best series of videos on this walk that there is! Love all of your other videos too - we're really missing new videos from you. Hope you decide to make some more in the future.
girlinabox
Wanderer

Munros:1   

38 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes