walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arkle, a wonderful Corbett with stunning views

Arkle, a wonderful Corbett with stunning views

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Route description: Arkle

Corbetts included on this walk: Arkle

Date walked: 06/10/2018

Distance: 17.2 km

Ascent: 1128m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had driven up on the Friday evening with the thoughts of maybe climbing the four most Northerly Corbetts and this one had been in my thoughts for the Saturday. After a pretty uncomfortable night trying to sleep in the car with the rain battering down and noise with Stags rutting at the start of the climb, there is quite a large area at the bridge over the burn but much of the surrounding area is waterlogged. I awoke on the Saturday only to hear the rain battering on the car and me thinking it was not such a bad idea sleeping in the car and leaving the tent inside it's pack.I was not about to start under these conditions and decided to drive towards Scourie which i did and by the time i'd got there the rain has stopped a little so decided to have breakfast in the layby near the toilet. After eating my cereal I saw a wee glimmer of blue in the sky so decided to return to the start point, by the time I'd reached it it was once again raining hard but more blue was showing so decided to sit it out for an hour. At eleven o'clock it was off and time to get booted up.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.jpg
The rain stops and the clouds lift and yes, looking good, Arkle in front at the start of the tarmac track
2.jpg
Further on the well made tarmac track
3.jpg
A fine reflection on Loch Stack
4.jpg
After passing the house on the left continue on the good track and over this bridge, after crossing you are heading towards the tree plantation so take the left path when you come to it
5.jpg
Looking over to Ben Stack
6.jpg
The tree plantation guarded by the two enormous boulders which you pass through
7.jpg
Looking back in the other direction
8.jpg
Loch Stack and Ben Stack from the track above the plantation
9.jpg
The route ahead after crossing the burn take to the heather slopes and keep on the high side of the burn (the right) and continue following same up the heathery slopes
10.jpg
Looking back to the track which I have just left
11.jpg
My target is the stony lump in the middle so I have to cross the burn at a suitable crossing point
12.jpg
Higher up on the stone covered East summit which is vast and in bad weather may be difficult to find the cairn
13.jpg
First sighting of the East summit cairn
14.jpg
The actual summit of Arkle is on the left but the East summit cairn is on the left
15.jpg
Looking over towards the summit of Arkle from the cairn on East Summit
16.jpg
The scree slopes on Arkle
17.jpg
Looking back again to Loch Stack
19.jpg
After going down quite steeply to the bealach climb up again to come across the narrowing section of ridge which is an easy scramble in dry windless conditions
20.jpg
Stone pavement
21.jpg
Me at the actual summit
22.jpg
Looking back to where i'd come
23.jpg
Foinavon
24.jpg
Heading down to the bealach between the two summits
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Arkle, a wonderful Corbett with stunning views

Postby Sgurr » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:41 am

See you have yet to do Foinaven, which, if possible, is even better. Love that third photo with the reflections.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Arkle, a wonderful Corbett with stunning views

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:02 pm

Sgurr wrote:See you have yet to do Foinaven, which, if possible, is even better. Love that third photo with the reflections.

Hi Sgurr, yes Foinavon was also on my radar for the time I was up there also Ben Loyal, but the weather was really atrocious. I think I'll leave Foinavon for a good day and also a day with more daylight, so it's next year now most definitely as I've just had a wee op on my leg and that's one of the reasons I'm on catchup with my WH reports. I can't believe how good the day turned out to be, you could see for miles in all directions, just love it up there.
Yes definitely save Foinavon for a good day, looking forward to it enormously :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland