walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn na Cro

Beinn na Cro

Postby litljortindan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:52 am

Route description: Beinn na Cro, Torrin

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn na Cro

Date walked: 28/10/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 570m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Headed for Skye without any definite plan other than to climb something not too taxing as my ankle had been causing me problems last week and I was told to go ahead with playing football on the Friday and with hillwalking on the Sunday but to have a rest if there was pain. Got through the footie fine so that gave me a bit of optimism for Sunday.

Was briefly tempted to do a walk in Glen Shiel because of all the snow there but I thought that might end in a frustrating battle with soft snow so stuck to my vague Skye plan.

Cloud to the north of Skye kind of steered me towards thoughts of Sgurr na Coinnich but I wondered if the road up might be a bit icy so opted instead for Beinn na Cro which had, in any case, been on my mind since I needlessly (as it turned out) declined an opportunity to climb it with friends in 2015.

Driving round to the foot of the hill yielded a couple of off-putting views of steep slopes but once parked at the bottom it looked fairly tame.

After a short boggy section I picked up what turned out to be a very good path more or less all the way to the top. Couple of ankle twinges early on and then no problems at all for the rest of the day.

I had been up the hill's twin, Glas Bheinn Mhor, in March so it was interesting to see that across Strath Mor as well as other familiar hills from new angles. The view of Blaven was outstanding but views all around were good too.

Blaven looking very fine in the morning light:
ImageDSC02014 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC02025 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC02028 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC02032 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC02061 by John Little, on Flickr
On the way up and looks like someone might be having a good morning on Rum.

ImageDSC02097 by John Little, on Flickr
Looking across Strath Mor to Belig (left) and Glas Bheinn Mhor (right) with Beinns Dearg visible beyond.

ImageDSC02135 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC02163 by John Little, on Flickr
View over Ben Tianavaig, Sithean a' Bhealaich Chumhaing and the Storr.

ImageDSC02175 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC02197 by John Little, on Flickr
Beinn na Cailich hills.

ImageDSC02219 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC02224 by John Little, on Flickr
Near the top.

ImageDSC02253 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC02231 by John Little, on Flickr
Took this specifically to remind myself and my wife of our long day over these hills in December 2005 in what must have been 40mph winds.

ImageDSC02233 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC02236 by John Little, on Flickr
View south from the top.

ImageDSC02247 by John Little, on Flickr
And north.

ImageDSC02270 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC02376 by John Little, on Flickr
On the way down.

ImageDSC02382 by John Little, on Flickr

Quite a lot of snow in Glen Shiel. I had been tempted to do a walk here but did wonder if most of the snow might be of the soft, draining variety.

Last edited by litljortindan on Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Beinn na Cro

Postby litljortindan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:18 pm

My 250th WH/UK listed summit, except that 8 of my Wainwrights are also Hewitts so that's 242 real, 8 imaginary and a magnitude of 242.13 at an angle of 1.89 degrees.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland