walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean Nam Bian

Bidean Nam Bian

Postby Sferg » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:21 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 29/10/2018

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I arrived at the 3 sister car park by 08:45, plenty of parking spaces at this time of year! Set off at 9am and followed the path from the car park down to the old track, turning right on the track and after a few minutes it branches off to the left to the foot bridge over the River Coe.

Once over the footbridge I followed the path up into Coire nan Lochan. Continue along the path which runs along the left side of the burn.

after just about 1.5 hours i had reached the top of Coire nan Lochan. The route then becomes less defined but still visible, I turned left and headed up the grassy slope to the ridge of Gearr Aonach. The ridge ascends gradually before becoming much steeper as you approach the summit of Stob Coire nan Lochan.
After 2 hours I was over Stob Coire nan Lochan and making the short descent before the path climbs steeply back up to reach the summit of Bidean Nam Bian. Stopped here for a sandwich but the 40mph gusts and -13 windchill made sure I didn't wait long!

From here it's a straight forward walk to the reach the second munro top. There are a few bumps before the descent to Bealach Dearg and then follow the path up Stob Coire Sgreamhach which becomes rockier nearer the summit, at this point I was just over 3 hours on the clock. My lucozade had frozen by now so I didn't stop for lunch!

For the return trip, retraced my steps back down to Bealach Dearg and there's an obvious point where you descend down the back wall of Coire Ghabail. The descent is initially very steep and tricky when covered in ice but the path is obvious for the most part, just aim for the river! It took just over an hour from the summit of Stob coire Sgreamhach to the Lost Valley floor, and then its a straight forward hike along the path out of the Lost Valley, taking you back to the car park. took me about another hour, kept having to stop to stretch out my severely cramping thighs :sick: . total time was 5hrs 20mins.
Attachments
3AAEB896-F37C-4C26-9023-9A9F8475216F.jpeg
Looking down to the Lost Valley from Stob Coire Sgreamhach
83F66BDC-6FC8-45A8-8721-C807F3152ED3.jpeg
Looking over to Bidean Nam Bian from Stob Coire Sgreamhach

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sferg
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland