walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lovely Autumnal Stroll

Lovely Autumnal Stroll

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:45 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Roan Fell

Date walked: 28/10/2018

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 350m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another trip down to England on the menu so decided to utilise the lovely weather and visit my final Borders hill east of the A74. Usually I visit hills on the return journey this time as I was travelling on a Sunday I decided to stop off on the way south.
The main problem was the drive south down the A7, that really is an awful road, not only is it rather bendy you also have to negotiate 4 Borders towns of Galashiels, Hawick, Selkirk & Langholm.
As the clocks went back I was on my way by 8am and off walking at 10am, I managed to change the clock in my car but my watch had to be left till later - using the manual.

Parking area

Plenty of room for a few cars

Looking back to the parking area

I must say another big thank you to Inca, once again I followed his route as it certainly looked the most direct and easiest. If anyone is thinking of using this route you can easily do this in trainers as the track leads all the way to the summit cairn, although on the GPS mapping system it stops/peters out. There are a couple of small burns to cross, but you don't need to be an Olympic Long Jumper to avoid wet feet.

The track ahead, before the noise started

What a din these things make

Arty shot of the burn at a wider bit

Bridge that is safe - over the burn

I ventured over it

Other option over the burn - a ford, crossed it on the way up

Decided against trying this out - risk assesment, it looks slippy

My crossing spot

Seen one of these before

Makes path building easier when the materials are readily available

Good track on a nice steady incline

Looking westish

Looking back downhill towards the start

Not far to go now

Quite a few stalagtites

Path very visible, if you look closely the summit cairn can be seen

Summit cairn, with a big stick to aid spotting it from far away

I carried a stick that I thought may be bigger but it wasn't really

Plenty of these on the summit plateau area, which probably explains why the track has been extended

I really enjoyed this walk and it was a good little leg stretcher. Hope to get out again before the WH meet up at Torridon, but that depends on quite a few factors - the main one being the obvious one, weather.
Last edited by Fife Flyer on Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Lovely Autumnal Stroll

Postby inca » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:27 pm

Appreciate the name check Martin and it's nice to see this hill again. I enjoyed it very much. Twislehope -or the signage at least- looks like its had a makeover. What's happened to all the hounds though? They were queuing up at the bars when I passed by. Must have been 20 or 30. Maybe they get winter holidays. That must be you finished in the Borders now?
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:35 pm

inca wrote:That must be you finished in the Borders now?

Er nowhere near, I now have to venture across the A74 and visit all the further away ones. Hopefully I will make a start before the end of the year.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby inca » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:16 pm

Doh. DIdn't word my post as well as I could have. Meant the Scottish Borders, as in the regional authority/area. Plenty of decent smaller hills west of the A74 to your teeth into. Been meaning to backfill some trip reports there for ages. :roll:
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland