walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cairnwell & Carn Aosda 25 & 26

The Cairnwell & Carn Aosda 25 & 26

Postby DJG78 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:00 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 22/07/2010

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 450m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Not much to say about this walk apart from 2 Munros bagged in under 1.5hrs! Easiest one's i've completed so far. Nice to get the bagging tally up without really trying, although i do feel like i've cheated myself!

You park half way up them for starters at Glenshee Ski centre, which is blatently cheating but what the hell. Pretty ugly ascent weaving in and out of Ski lifts but still enjoyable. I was in the Cairngorms after all so it can't be that ugly can it!

Glas Maol 003.jpg
Carn Asda lol

Reached the top of Carn Asda as i like to call it in 30mins. Saw loads of Hares! Nice day as well. Good view of the Ski runs on Glas Maol which i hope to return to experience with a snowboard over Christmas!

Glas Maol 002.jpg
Heading up The Cairnwell

Doubled back slighly to head up the Cairnwell. Now that does have an ugly summit. And the buildings make some creepy noises from the electronic masts which is a bit eerie!

Glas Maol 005.jpg
Butt Ugly Summit

Thought i would save myself for the 4 Glas Maol Munros tomorrow so headed back down a Ski run to the car park rather than retrace mysteps back down to track! Didn't save much time but on the spirit of cheating i thought why not!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DJG78
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Re: The Cairnwell & Carn Aosda 25 & 26

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:46 pm

I loved all the hares on Carn Aosda - I should really have got a piccie of them as they were pretty tame :D
mountain coward

Postby DJG78 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:02 am

I know, i have never seen so many. I wonder why there are so many on that particular mountain?
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:13 am

Perhaps skiiers are good at dropping lots of tasty grub (vegetarian of course for bunnies) :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland