walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two very steep Corbetts to be kept for a dry day

Two very steep Corbetts to be kept for a dry day

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Route description: Beinn na h-Eaglaise and Beinn nan Caorach

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn na h-Eaglaise, Beinn nan Caorach

Date walked: 26/05/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12.3 km

Ascent: 1135m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today's target hills were to be the two Corbetts tucked away beyond Glenelg an area I know quite well having done the excellent Dirty Thirty run/walk a few years ago. Mountain Thyme and I had thought about doing these hills before but because of wet and snowy underfoot conditions decided against it as they are quite steep in places especially on the downhill sections on Beinn na h-Eaglaise and the climbing section on Beinn nan Caorach.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

01.jpg
Walking back along the main road from the village car park at Corran
02.jpg
Heading along the track beside the river Arnisdale
03.jpg
Passing the dwelling house and now the track follows the river, the Graham Beinn Clachach 618m in the distance
04.jpg
We are headed towards the outbuilding/ cottage as seen in photo. The track we follow is seen on the West side of the Graham at the back of the cottage
05.jpg
The outbuilding/cottage where the track leads between the first Corbett and the Graham
06.jpg
Our first target straight ahead, finding the climbing hot going under the warm conditions
07.jpg
Just short of the burn crossing with the Corbett looking quite steep further up
08.jpg
No problems crossing the burn after the dry spell we have had
09.jpg
Much rockier and steeper towards the summit
0010.jpg
Second Corbett in the distance
0011.jpg
It was warm work getting to the first summit
0012.jpg
Following the remains of a stone dyke and metal fence posts
0013.jpg
Beinn na h-Eaglaise the lower summit on the left of picture, Beinn Sgritheall behind where there was a compleation party on the summit. We were all alone at the top of our Corbett, one of the differences between Munros and Corbetts
0014.jpg
Heading up the second Corbett, good dry underfoot conditions short grass made for fast walking
0015.jpg
Nearing the summit with the busy Munro in the distance
0016.jpg
Heading off the Corbett towards Beinn Bhuidhe
0017.jpg
Looking over to the Graham where you can see the track which took us over the burn and towards the lower slopes of the first Corbett
0018.jpg
Looking back towards the lower slopes of Beinn Bhuidhe
0019.jpg
Passing the house at the foot of the hill and heading towards the tarmac road at the end of the day
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Two very steep Corbetts to be kept for a dry day

Postby Sgurr » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Good for you I see the date was prior to you recent shoulder problems: you would have had 2nd thoughts tackling them with that.

Agree about the steep sides of these. The descent, in particular had our muscles aching.

Corbett tops ARE less busy, but I recently attended a Full House Compleation on a Graham with more than 60 people.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Sgurr wrote:Good for you I see the date was prior to you recent shoulder problems: you would have had 2nd thoughts tackling them with that.

Agree about the steep sides of these. The descent, in particular had our muscles aching.

Corbett tops ARE less busy, but I recently attended a Full House Compleation on a Graham with more than 60 people.

I don't think I'd like coming off these in wet slippy conditions :crazy: I do like the peace and quiet of the Corbetts, Compleations are a wee bit different :D :D The more the merrier, hope there will be quite a few at mine, why not join me?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Sgurr » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:07 pm

What are you saving for the last one? I'll come up The Cobbler as long as I don't have to climb the last bit. However, it is no place to take a bad shoulder. :crazy: :crazy: So I imagine it is something else. Just took another look at your map...aaargh,
I was glad I did Ben Aden aged 70, another year, and it might have been beyond me...however there are now luxury ways of doing this from a booked lodge and boat, I believe. And STREAP. They should have left the R out of that one when they christened it.

Rodmeister, you don't need me to tell me what sort of run up to compleation you have got there.....and Beinn Chasgein Mor and the Deargs Mor and Beag....Beinn Lair....all the ones we returned from and fell asleep for the next 14 hours :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: I completed in 2010, and it is all coming flooding back.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:16 pm

Sgurr wrote:What are you saving for the last one? I'll come up The Cobbler as long as I don't have to climb the last bit. However, it is no place to take a bad shoulder. :crazy: :crazy: So I imagine it is something else. Just took another look at your map...aaargh,
I was glad I did Ben Aden aged 70, another year, and it might have been beyond me...however there are now luxury ways of doing this from a booked lodge and boat, I believe. And STREAP. They should have left the R out of that one when they christened it.

Rodmeister, you don't need me to tell me what sort of run up to compleation you have got there.

😂😂😂a slightly touch run to the finish line. I have two in mind, but I'm keeping mmmmmm about that. Watch this space. The Cobbler was planned for last Sunday and had to be cancelled, because of a wee bit of surgery which became slightly more than first thought. I'll give myself two years to Compleat :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:49 am

What a cracking day that was. And best to do it anticlockwise. The views were fab. Youll compleat next year Rod :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:09 pm

mountain thyme wrote:What a cracking day that was. And best to do it anticlockwise. The views were fab. Youll compleat next year Rod :D

That was a stonking day Theresa ,thankyou for your company. I agree anti-clockwise definitely the better way. I don't know about that though, I wish :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland