walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scouts tackle Ben Venue via the Bealach nam Bo

Scouts tackle Ben Venue via the Bealach nam Bo

Postby thorburn7 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:49 pm

Route description: Ben Venue from Loch Achray

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 21/10/2018

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 794m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With Munro bagging making up the majority of my free time and almost all the nearby munros exhausted I was starting to realise that I've neglected the smaller hills in pursuit of becoming a Munro Compeationist. Being a Scout leader I've always wanted to try and get my scouts onto the hills with me to gain an appreciation of the outdoors and the stunning beauty of the Scottish landscape. To kill 2 birds with one stone I gained a hillwalking permit through scouting to allow me to take youngsters up mountains to the height of Corbetts. Now I could start ticking off some of the sub 3000ft hills with a company of kids who really need time away from games consoles.
Ben Venue was a good starting point for us to challenge the youngsters on their way to achieving the coveted hillwalker badge. 5 hills required to complete and this would be the starting point.

We set off from the car park at 9:30am to reasonably dry weather. Everyone was excited as we have organised low level walks in the past with a few having completed the West Highland Way and many enjoyed this experience so climbing a mountain was the next challenge.

From the car park there is a nice little section of the path over wooden panels which had a great view of our target hill.
ImageUntitled by Matthew Thorburn, on Flickr

Small groups of kids started to form as we made our way down the track. Some more eager to be at the front. Some taking their time and others switching between the two.

The mood of the morning was clear to see. But how would they be when the real leg work began.

We walked past the footbridge usually used to gain access to the mountain until we reached the end of the road. Here there is a little dam which we used to cross the river.

A short path from the dam leads over a fence where we joined the path leading towards the Bealach nam Bo.

The walk through the small forest and the high ferns was a little boggy due to recent rain but nothing too bad.

The trees begin to fall away and then we get a glimpse of our route up onto the mountain. The Belach nam Bo.

With the view of the Bealach ahead, to the right you get a brilliant view of Loch Katrine and the amazing autumnal colours of the Trossachs.

The groups of walkers now dividing into the speed categories.

The higher we climbed the more we started to appreciate the spectrum of colour on show.

The rocky section had a clear path up through the boulders with a few of the boys eager to climb all over them.

Once at the Bealach nam Bo the terrain changed to grassy slopes and a slight breeze now we were no longer sheltered by the sides of the hill.

The pace now began to slow as the realisation sat in that they had walked for 2.5 hrs and still had 2 more to go until we reached the top.

A few moans and groans developed when I pointed up and proclaimed the top was away up there.

Morale was starting to dip but that might have been because they were getting hungry.

We found a little shelter from the wind and had our lunch as the sun began to peak through the clouds intermittently.

Another few hundred meters up and now some mist was forming to give the scouts a taste of all the weather we usually expect on a Scottish mountain.

Loch Achray and Loch Venachar getting a little sunlight.

Looking across Loch Katrine to the north.

Really proud of all the scouts getting to the top! We didnt stay very long as the wind was quite strong.

Heading off the summit.

Looking up Loch Katrine.

The Sun starting to cast shadows on the mountains as it begins to set.

Our pace quickened as we descended the mountain.

Our route back to the car gave us good views of Loch Achray and Loch Venachar before we entered the forest paths lower down.

Looking back at our conquered hill and hopefully the first of many this group of youngsters will complete on their way to completing the hillwalker badge.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

thorburn7
Mountain Walker

Munros:239   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3

Re: Scouts tackle Ben Venue via the Bealach nam Bo

Postby Sgurr » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:09 pm

Next stop the D of E. We met several groups doing this in the Lakes but they looked older than your lot. Well done to them, and to you for getting them to the summit.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:46 am

A brilliant TR - great to see the scout group enjoying themselves!
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Coop » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:47 pm

Fantastic well done for getting them out and on the hills.
Hopefully most or not all will have enjoyed their walk and the prize of great scenery/views/achievement.

Well done to all the Scouts :clap:
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:29 pm

Great stuff! Scouts started it all for me - I owe the organisation a big debt of gratitude.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby denfinella » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:12 pm

Nice to see a circular route for this hill - is there a path for the ascent route?
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby thorburn7 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:10 am

denfinella wrote:Nice to see a circular route for this hill - is there a path for the ascent route?

Theres a path all the way to the bealach but once up there you have to forge your own route
thorburn7
Mountain Walker

Munros:239   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland