walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Lake District - Central Fells 1

The Lake District - Central Fells 1

Postby Christo1979 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:55 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bleaberry Fell, Grange Fell, High Seat, High Tove, Walla Crag

Date walked: 25/10/2018

Time taken: 7

Distance: 17.2 km

Ascent: 907m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I started about 7:30am from the YHA in Keswick, as I wanted to see the Castlerigg stone circle before heading for a wander up some of the Central Fells. A cold morning, but the mist and rain was nowhere near as bad as forecast, so perhaps I was in for some better views today! Once I'd investigated the stone circle and dodged (or rather got in the way of :lol: ) the crowds who were gathered with their tripods for some early morning shots, it was off down Castle Lane and then across the A591, where a straightforward leg-stretch of a walk took me up the popular path to Walla Crag. Splendid views over Derwentwater - I can see why so many people come up here.

ImageCastlerigg Stone Circle by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageWalla Crag by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

I followed the path on towards Falcon Crag, and somehow managed to miss the obvious path that leads up to the summit of Bleaberry Fell. I made the mistake of following the right of way rather than the path - schoolboy error, and one which led to my climbing up toward the Fell over rough heather and rocks, which was fun but probably stupid when there's a perfectly clear footpath up to the summit :lol: Eventually I got back on track. I was the only walker heading up Bleaberry Fell, most people seemed to be continuing along past Falcon Crag further down. The mist rolled in, but the wind was gentle, so compared to Skiddaw yesterday, this was an easier day already.

ImageBleaberry Fell by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageHigh Seat by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

The walk along to High Seat was extremely boggy, and I was glad of the gaiters more than ever before. Some of the hags were really deep and coupled with the mist, it was possibly the most otherworldly walk I've done yet. I had a rest at the trig point on High Seat, where sadly there were no views, but another stretch of boggy path to negotiate on the way to High Tove. The mist was clearing by this point, but the views weren't necessarily the best from this rather featureless and broad summit.

ImageBoggy Paths! by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageBoggy Paths! by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageHigh Tove by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

I followed the path down from High Tove and steeply into Watendlath, where lots of walkers were gathered. I didn't stop at the cafe, but did take a moment to enjoy Watendlath Tarn, before heading up the path towards Rosthwaite. At Puddingstone Bank I took a right and headed up to my last Wainwright of the day, Grange Fell. I took a wander around the various peaks and summits, and enjoyed the little scramble on Brund Fell - nice to have some rock after such a boggy day!

ImageWatendlath Tarn by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

From Grange Fell it was a simple but steep descent into Frith Wood, where I rejoined the Rosthwaite path, and made it into the village just in time to catch the open-top bus (even in the rain it's a nice ride!) back to Keswick.

ImageBrund Fell (Grange Fell) by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

Only my fourth ever day walking in the Lake District, and my Wainwright total sits at a mere 17, but I even though I am a late-comer to the wonders of the Lakes, I'm now addicted. Now, when's my next free weekend... :)
Last edited by Christo1979 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

Re: The Lake District - Central Fells 1

Postby dav2930 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:58 pm

Great idea doing an A to B walk across these fells and getting the bus back. Despite the claggy weather your photos make them look quite appealing - except the boggy bits which look every bit as bad as the North Pennines!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Wainwright bagging; if these ones haven't put you off then nothing will! :lol: Joking aside, the Lake District is a stunning place and you'll have some truly superb walks in store. :clap: 8) :D
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Christo1979 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:23 am

dav2930 wrote:Great idea doing an A to B walk across these fells and getting the bus back. Despite the claggy weather your photos make them look quite appealing - except the boggy bits which look every bit as bad as the North Pennines!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Wainwright bagging; if these ones haven't put you off then nothing will! :lol: Joking aside, the Lake District is a stunning place and you'll have some truly superb walks in store. :clap: 8) :D

Ha ha thanks :lol: I must admit the choice of central fells was based on what was handy from Keswick without repeating the treacherous weather of the previous day's walk up Skiddaw etc :shock: I'm pretty sure there would have been less boggy, more beautiful hills to do, but I can't wait to get back ASAP. I'd thought about heading to Grasmere next time? Thanks for the welcome - I do believe the addiction has started :)
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

Postby Sgurr » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:18 pm

We had read about the bogginess of this particular part, so when we went in July after & during a long dry spell, we decided to do these hills, and after looking at your photos, were very glad we did. You can walk about 2 x the distance we can manage in a day, so despite your having newly come to Wainwrights, I can see that it won't take you long to get a bigger bag. We included some while we were doing the Marilyns, so when we got going seriously this year, we already had some in hand, but at one or two per outing it is going to be a long time before we finish.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=85159
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby trailmasher » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:34 pm

Another fine report and pics of a walk along the Central Fells :clap: It certainly is a wet place to be and even in a dry summer some areas are still ankle deep in soft and very wet ground :crazy: :roll: If you decide on the Grasmere hills next I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed 8) and it's one of my favourite places to walk :D Again, well done :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Salfordwhite » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:37 pm

You have made that seem easy and pleasant.
I still feel traumatised by the High Seat to High Tove bog.
Thigh deep twice on a solitary winter walk was not the most enjoyable time that I have had.
It's also the reason that I haven't walked Armboth Fell yet :shock:
Salfordwhite
Walker

Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:183   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland