walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob a'Choin, a very hard and steep way

Stob a'Choin, a very hard and steep way

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:13 pm

Route description: Stob a' Choin, from Inverlochlarig

Corbetts included on this walk: Stob a' Choin

Date walked: 16/08/2018

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 854m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was going to be my second attempt at this Corbett, the previous time I aborted as I was not in the right frame of mind to undertake the steep climb knowing at the end of the day I wasn't to get any views of note at the summit. I had got so far up the initial slope traversing the slope only to find numerous burn crossings and deep wet sinking underfoot conditions finally took their toll on my reserves, I jacked it. Today was different and the determined Rodmiester headed out from the car park at the end of the road past Loch Voil and Loch Doine. After passing the farm at Inverlochlarig then crossing the bridge over the Inverlochlarig Burn then following the track to the foot bridge crossing over the River Larig.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.jpg
After leaving the car park things are looking more positive than the last time
2.jpg
The blue skies are looking better when passing through the farmyard
3.jpg
Crossing over the bridge over the river Larig
4.jpg
Looking back gradually climbing the fairly east but very wet grassed area at the base of the hill
5.jpg
Yes this is how I remembered it getting much steeper, very wet very slippy, on all fours at some sections holding on tight in places.I now know that I should of crossed the burn further down as I cannot get across it unless I go back and down, which is not an option, so climb up until I can cross.
6.jpg
The summit ridge nearly in sight, more wet and tufty wet grass
7.jpg
Now nearly at the summit cairn
8.jpg
From the actual summit cairn looking at the North summit close by
9.jpg
I was not about to go back the same way as I'd probably slip the whole way down with very little to hold onto apart from long wet grass
10.jpg
Looking down the glen from beyond the North summit
11.jpg
Helicopter flying down the glen below me
12.jpg
Now to find a safe way down, it's still very steep at this stage but I'm heading on a North Easterly direction
13.jpg
After some slips and slides and a burn crossing I head down the fence line towards the river and sheepfold. In hindsight this is probably the best place to climb this hill from, make sure you walk as far as the sheepfold then walk South then go beyond Amar Stob a'Choin as shown on OS map
14.jpg
Looking back after crossing the footbridge
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Stob a'Choin, a very hard and steep way

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:25 pm

This is a steep bugger whichever way you go. I went over the bridge, crossed the first burn and then headed diagonally up, crossing the second at a flattening around the 420m mark - just above the fence which was in some bushes I think and very broken at that point. As usual, I followed the deer tracks - they always know where to cross :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Re: Stob a'Choin, a very hard and steep way

Postby Sgurr » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:36 pm

past my sell by date wrote:This is a steep bugger whichever way you go:

Seconded :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland