walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Perfect Winter Day (in October!;)) - The Grey Corries

A Perfect Winter Day (in October!;)) - The Grey Corries

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:45 pm

Route description: The Grey Corries

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Date walked: 28/10/2018

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Video of fun

The White Corries

End of October and the clocks were going back… Bliss , an extra hour in bed…

However the first significant snows had hit Scotland’s Mountains and the forecast for Sunday was looking rather good…. Bags packed the night before and the alarm was set for 5.30am (well 6.30 body clock time!).

Feeling rather good when woken by the alarm (mainly due to the extra hour factor) I sprung out of bed and set about defrosting the car whilst making some porridge and getting set to go.

-3 degrees and the skies were clear as I headed north on the A9 aiming to meet Gerry at Choire Collie at a leisurely 0830 am. Arriving in unison we discovered out first problem of the day – finding a parking spot!! The place was heaving and it seemed a few cars had been there overnight judging by the frost on the windscreens. Subsequently we met a few people coming back down form the bothy after an adventurous evening.

Imagestart o day by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Winter gear on for the first time this season and we were soon saying our hellos to the Wee Minister and not long after started heading up the slopes of Stob Coire Gaibhre. The snow line was reached and the landscape turned white with the monochrome landscape contrasting the bright blue skies. What a day it was turning out to be. After stopping for a small time on Gaibhre, we were soon heading up the 15th highest mountain in Scotland. The snow was laying a few inches deep and the rime was plastering the boulders. From our viewpoint the Grey Corries lay before us with The Aonachs and Ben Nevis providing a suitable back drop.

ImageBen Nevis and The Aonachs by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageThe Grey Corries by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The slight breeze that had greeted us on Claurigh was now disappearing and the sun was beating down. I had to delayer and was soon striding along the ridge in my base layer, felt more like the Alps than Scotland! Days like these live long in the memory and we just took our time enjoying the views as we made our way along the ridge. To the south the great mountains of The Mamores, Glencoe and beyond were all instantly recognisable. Eventually we reached our final peak of the day – Stob Coire Easein and decided to leave Choinnich Mor for another day, a great excuse to return!

ImageSgurr Choinnich Mor by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageAcross Glen Nevis by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagelone hiker by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The day wasn’t over yet though as we still had a fair bit of walking to do. We had managed to park at the parking spots nearer the gate so decided to take the old tram line back to the car.

Imagedescent by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

A nice route although one of the burn cross resulted in me slipping and face planting the rocks – I was thirst anyway so took the opportunity to have a wee drink 

What a grand day 
wilkiemurray

Re: A Perfect Winter Day (in October!;)) - The Grey Corries

Postby litljortindan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Great stuff. I've been along there without any snow and thought it would make a great winter walk. This is as good as I could imagine it to be.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby riverlodge » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:42 am

permission to go 'wow', and just sit open mouthed.

some gorgeous shots, and a little while (in years) since I had a day like that. fab!
riverlodge
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:30 pm

litljortindan wrote:Great stuff. I've been along there without any snow and thought it would make a great winter walk. This is as good as I could imagine it to be.

It certainly worth a trip under a nice coating f snow - we got lucky with the weather for sure this time, but hoping for more days like this before May 2019 ;)lol
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:31 pm

riverlodge wrote:permission to go 'wow', and just sit open mouthed.

some gorgeous shots, and a little while (in years) since I had a day like that. fab!

Permission Granted :lol: was a fab day and well worth the effort getting up there :)
wilkiemurray

Postby Jaxter » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:04 pm

Incredible stuff as always - that was some weekend wasn't it 8) 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland